Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407117 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3090 on: April 16, 2017, 03:52:48 am »

Thanks; I appreciate the help.
Tiled works great for what I'm trying to do. I'm also thinking of including smaller more detailed tactical maps done via REXPaint in the FG to circumvent my awful spriting/drawing skills. But that may get too complicated.

New question, also about an XCOM-like mechanic. In a management-type game, would people prefer a freeform research system or a more rigid one?

A freeform would mostly just work off of the players deciding what to research by themselves, based on what they have and what they know. A player might want to figure out how to make a radio (example not related to FG), so they create a research project to attempt to figure out how radios work based off of the captured radios they already have. I use my ~secret~ established lore to determine what happens after the research project ends and if they get any kind of rewards. When something requires more than just one project to do, I'd likely include hints on how to proceed in the received report.
A more rigid one would likely basically be a tech tree with a bit of free will. I'd have unlockable projects done in chains. You get a radio, you decide that you want to make your own, so you research Radio Operations which lets you research Radio Construction which lets you make radios.

At the moment I'm heavily leaning towards the freeform system since a rigid tech tree-type mechanic seems like way too much preparation and as it happens, I don't have good foresight. Chances are I'd forget to include super essential stuff in the tree and would have to constantly retcon it in. Though the freeform also has its troubles with me judging on the spot how hard research projects are, what they get, etc.
So even though I'm leaning towards freeform, I still would love others' opinions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: April 16, 2017, 07:45:29 am »

I'd do a mix of both, to be honest.
Every time you introduce a new enemy, just write down what it is equipped with, and what researchers would get out of the creature ahead of time. Let your research team introduce the obvious conclusions, and let the players spearhead the "might be" research. You'd end up with a few successful streamlined projects, a few failed ones, and one or the other player machination gone right.

Quote from: Hasty example
Xechnoraph
Visually robotic spiders with bladed limbs, research reveals them to shelter a cybernetic core. Most likely a xeno of lesser intelligence, converted for combat use.
Comes equipped with xeno-blade alloy mkII (new), xeno shields mkI (old), unobtanium batteries mkI (old) and xeno cybernetics (new)

Presented in this manner and with a bit of flair, your players have various projects that are straight-foward - reverse engineer the different components - and afterwards, they can do what they want with it. The blade alloy might also be possible to use in bullets, the cybernetics might do well in enchancing reality, or even strenghth & reactions via implants. That, or just do an auxilliarated suit with it. Oh, and the shield and batteries, while already old news by now, might make research into them easier - seeing more of the same in different designs, shouldn't do any worse for sure.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 16, 2017, 02:33:04 pm »

I have been doing statistical research about what kind of games I'm good at. As GM, I mean. I have pretty good idea already, but that's my subjective opinion. Empirical research is needed to confirm that.

So here's a straw poll link. Pick what you think are my three best games.

Links to all my games are here. You'll notice few games missing from the poll, but that's because I consider those to be failures by all metrics. Didn't like them, didn't last long and so on.

So instead of wasting time and effort in future designing and running games I suck, I can focus where I'm already good at and produce better games.
I'm surprised that so few people voted for The Mind. It was such a good concept and it had an amazing twist (despite me messing it up slightly).

I don't think that I caught the end of Roll to Create a Supersoldier. How'd it end/turn out?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:03 am »

I'm surprised that so few people voted for The Mind. It was such a good concept and it had an amazing twist (despite me messing it up slightly).

I don't think that I caught the end of Roll to Create a Supersoldier. How'd it end/turn out?

It grew a bit too unwieldy after game mode switch. I couldn't even finish first testing round despite of killing off more than half of the products. It ended like this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159985.msg7261464#msg7261464

I handed it off to Sean, but seems in the end it was too much for him too.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

aDwarfNamedUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long Live The !!sand pear wood throne!!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: April 21, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »

Does anyone have a link handy to one of the forum games that used the card game style, didn't mimic a real card game, and worked well?

I still have an itch to run a more mechanical second game, and I had an idea for a setting that tickles me, but I'd like to see what's been done before.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: April 21, 2017, 05:47:37 pm »

Have Vizier. That one was a successful card game. The only thing you might have trouble with is the amount of stuff hidden in pms. It worked, but I'm not exactly sure why. It was an entertaining read though, so maybe that was why.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 21, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »

Shallow Space I II III IV
Fairly chaotic card-based FTL/Trek-ish space combat, largely consisting of using your teleporter to board the enemy ship and shoot them as I recall.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:11 pm »

AoshimaMichio's Monster Mash Tournament, sorta. I've wondered a lot about how forum games could be integrated with card-based mechanics while I lurked without an account on the forums, and now would be a good point to mention them.

Personally, the latter is my favorite. To be honest, I'd just come up with the part of additional effects while writing this.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 21, 2017, 07:51:39 pm »

Perplixiconlikes are always interesting.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:17 pm »

Gonna second taking a look at the Monster Mash tournament; that game (like most of Ao's games) was really good/interesting.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: April 21, 2017, 10:44:55 pm »

Perplixiconlikes are always interesting.
QFT
I love perplexicon games.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: April 22, 2017, 09:48:10 pm »

Rethinking my platform. Redid the X Commthing so two ways of losing ( as before my games only had one and did not describe it) retooled points system. Making it detailed, but simple.

The only other project considering here is my urban arcana game which is adventure with options. Like that Soam Wizard game that ended via death by dragon. Just with guns. And more stuff.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Max avatar size is 80x80

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: April 26, 2017, 11:51:28 am »

So, I've got a concept, a bare set of rules, but now I'm looking to see if there's any interest.

Basically, I tore the skin off Arkham Horror (The board/card game) and am wearing it like a snuggy(TM) while capering under the influence of several magical school games.

Elevator Pitch,

You and the other players are in a world where most all fairy tales, horrible conspiracy theories, and midnight ghost stories have more than a couple grains of truth to them. Werewolves, time traveling spacemen, relics from antediluvian eras, time clones, creatures beyond space and time, ghosts of alternate reality confederates armed with ecto-lasers, all these things are real, and yet they're still not your biggest concern.

Oh, right. Did I mention you're in college? Perhaps it's a Hunter's College where these things are readily accepted and your participation in hunts is graded by instructors who are themselves inhuman creatures, and your primary concern is not  "OH SHIT THAT WAS A FECKIN' VAMPIRE" but "Goddamnit, he docked me five points because I didn't check my corners. What a douche".  Perhaps you're at a perfectly normal university, desperately trying to pass your perfectly normal exams while fighting to keep the horrible things packed safely into the shadows so you can finish getting your degree before the Feds shut down campus to launch a massive investigation.

Whatever the case, you're going to have to balance your midnight hunts against your studying, your exams against chasing down leads and hunting for clues, and your GPA against the ever mounting tide of darkness. But hey, it's college. No one said it would be easy.   

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:57:04 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 238