Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407216 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3045 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:31 am »

Necromancy;
noun
a method of divination through alleged communication with the dead; black art.
magic in general, especially that practiced by a witch or sorcerer; sorcery; witchcraft; conjuration.
If i ever give someone the means to become a necromancer they will get an oracle ability that requires them to exhume corpses.

to me this is a malapropism.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:34:55 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:07 am »

Why must I have so many ideas for games?

This one...well, I can't think of how the specific numberlogical mechanics work, but the general idea is appealing. Think Street-Fighter-esque sidescroller brawling meets Pokémon. Players are either capable of containing or channeling monsters in/through their body. Each body part (arms, legs, torso, and head, for a total of 6) has a slot for a monster to fit into, each monster having stats/types and adding stats/abilities to the attached part and moves involving it, possibly adding new fighting techniques based on the overall arrangement of monsters.

The main point is, when an attack hits part of the enemy's body, not only is damage taken by the defending fighter, the monsters in the attacking body parts fight the monsters of the defending body parts, dealing damage to each other. If a monster is KO'd, it doesn't give any benefits to the body part (including special techniques), so hitting a monsterless part deals more damage, and KO'ing a monster can turn a fight around. Add in type advantages/disadvantages and a few status ailments, and you have quite a unique brawler.

I'm unsure about moving monsters between body parts mid-combat, though I'm thinking certain monster abilities could allow it, sometimes only if the moved-to part lacks a (living) monster. There's also the matter of how all the stats work. For now, though, all I want to know is; what do you think? Are there any big problems with the concept? Is it too complicated? What might work well as the stat system?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:17 am »

That sort of reminds me of a Webcomic I read for awhile once. Was called monster pulse. Don't remember much though. I do like the idea though.

Maybe do a sort of changeling thing? Symbiotic creatures? Aliens perhaps?

Also parasyte, though be warned that that's probably NSFW.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:38:37 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:14 am »

How about...parallel monster world, where due to lack of resources, tried to find resource in our world, but, as they don't have any physical form in our world, need to inhabit physical a physical object. There  would likely only be one unique, special, magical resource that was sent into our world by some big event. Maybe, instead, great evils of the Monster world were once sealed in our world, since ours lacks the magic that gives them power, but evil forces entered our world seeking to revive them, throwing off the worlds' balance or some such.

I'd personally prefer the magic-from-parallel-dimention approach, since a) the magic can explain all of the elemental types, weaknesses, and resistances, and b) our source would be mundane/magicless, giving us a need to work with monsters.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: April 03, 2017, 12:45:34 pm »

Thinking of a replacement for my close to-flatlining "Chaos Chronicles" game. So, I want to pitch this:

It would be a Picture Wars game, just like the one Snow Dwarf is doing, except themed around races and factions from Mass Effect. Thus, it would be futuristic themed, with Biotics, Omni-Tools, and such. Players can draw and drive vehicles from the series. I think it would be cool to try.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: April 04, 2017, 12:42:07 am »

Taking an antennas course has led to me wanting to apply actual mathematics to wizard staff design...

I mean, look at these:
Spoiler: Snip (click to show/hide)

You could put a design like that on top of a staff and tell people it helps channel magical energy better, and they'll totally believe you.

Speaking of which, here's some worldbuilding for the concept of an antenna staff.

Magic, like many forms of energy, is a wave, and only tends to affect things when the magical wave resonates with an object. So a spell directed at, say, a rock won't have an effect on the surrounding dirt, and likewise a spell directed against armor won't have any effect on the person wearing it.

The earth hosts a (relatively) low frequency earthwave, which is relatively high in amplitude, but very few things resonate with the earthwave, and so it doesn't have much of a macroscopic effect. However, since the sources of the earthwave move around beneath the surface of the world, there exist nodes and antinodes as part of a huge interference pattern, and at the antinodes the amplitude can get high enough to slightly resonate with the earth, causing weather and other macroscopic effects.

Most magic uses the earthwave as an energy source. However, since the earthwave doesn't resonate with most useful objects, a magician uses a staff fashioned similarly to an RF mixer to multiply the earthwave with a higher frequency to get it within the resonant range of an object. To do this, a magician needs to feed in a magical wave at a higher frequency, generated by some kind of magic crystal. So generally, different types of staff will manipulate different elements, though with some finagling a magician could build a staff that controls different elements, by finding the right crystals and setting up a way of filtering all the outputs.

By using technobabble based on real life, I can eliminate the archetype of a wizard as a "wizened old man who likes to read books for vague reasons" and have them resemble actual engineers with slide rules that constantly try to tweak and optimize the system.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: April 04, 2017, 12:46:44 am »

So... magitek? Sounds nice.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: April 04, 2017, 12:52:38 am »

Yeah, I had an idea for a gun-style staff that has an extension cord with spikes attached to a weight. The user would throw it into the ground to power the gun, but the downside is that you can't shoot while moving.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:43 am »

Divide, have you considered multi-headed frequency-based staves? Each head would be different, thus they would be tuning in to/effecting different types of objects at once. All manipulated objects would have to relate to each of the heads, so they are stronger than staves with less heads at the cost of manipulating less objects in less ways. A staff with heads tuned to Crystal and Dog could manipulate crystal dogs, though they could make dogs from crystals and turn dogs to crystal, as well as control, strengthen, heal, etc. better than just a dog or just a crystal staff could. There's also the idea of multiple mages using their staves on something they all work on for exceptional effect.

How are the effects determined, anyway? Does it have to do with a different set of frequentlcies? Maybe light? But light is a frequency....are the frequencies of any objects visible light? Is it possible for a voice to resonate with something? Maybe that has to do with some deity? Can frequencies be utilized with just a staff, no mage?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: April 04, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »

It'd be a two-step modulation process. The first step is to modulate the earthwave into a frequency resonant with the targeted object, and the second step is to modulate a lower frequency envelope in that higher frequency signal.

Somewhat like AM radio.

Sure you could attach multiple heads to one staff, though the engineering would be complicated because it affects the characteristic impedance of the junction. You'd have to design a magical matching circuit.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:21 pm »

Accidental constructive interference or Doppler shifts.

Beware of low rolls.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:16:32 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: April 09, 2017, 03:15:51 pm »

A simple hex-based game I shall proudly call... TACTICIANS!

Spoiler: Example rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example graphics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:41:40 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3057 on: April 09, 2017, 05:24:49 pm »

I think income should be probably be determined on a map by map basis. You could make 26 swordsmen in the first two turns at the suggested rates. That's a lot of stuff to potentially manage.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: April 10, 2017, 11:08:50 am »

Hmmm, you're right :vc

Then again I don't want to make it a '6 vs 6 battle and first to die means the player is screwed', ya know what am sayin .<'?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:48 am »

Ssssooooo.... I've been gone a while... I guess... and I'm back, mostly, not quite the same person but mostly the same. Older?
And I have had a game idea.

Mechanical Core of the game
You have four "limbs", which can perform actions simutaneously. Right-Arm, Left-Arm, Stance, and Spellwork. The actions which can be performed by these limbs all share the following traits:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Further more, many moves (not all) have the following:
Rules/FAQ
Character Sheet

Equipment(WIP, will probably be moved to a google doc for final version)
Armor: Nudity/near Nudity (WIP)
Armor: Iron-Studded Leather (WIP)
Weapon: Rapier (WIP)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 238