Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407342 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2970 on: January 28, 2017, 05:01:26 pm »

Interesting! I'd suggest not stressing about the identities of the hundred. Write up those who will be relevant to the players' story to start with, think up and work in more as you go along. It's a big galaxy - I doubt all of them are going to be 'on screen' all the time.

Are you thinking suggestion game, multi-player RPG, strategy, or what? I assume the player(s) would play as one of the Hundred?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 28, 2017, 05:12:50 pm »

Well, the most sensible thing to do from my perspective would to either have a handful of players playing as part of one Pantheon (though it would get awkward in situations in which one of the players would want to leave for one reason or another), or have everyone control only one Emperor character (it would certainly ease off a lot of workload for me as a GM).

As for genre, I'm torn between suggestion game, and a strategy-RPG (multiplayer would be cool but seems beyond my ability). The former is more in line with what I've been doing with half-decent success on B12, while the latter is closer to what I'd have in mind if this were a full-scale game but I don't have the resources or game design genius to pull that off, so I'm thinking of just going down the SG route.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 28, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »

How do you people manage to run forum games for weeks, months, -years-, without just suddenly losing interest halfway through? I don't understand and I'm envious of it because it's really no fun that I can never actually finish anything that I start. ;-;
(inb4 the answer is "well it just works for me" and it turns out that my brain is simply not compatible with any sort of long-term projects, at least not without medication/therapy)

When I ran my game, which did run for over a year, I did lose interest occasionally. I was lucky, because I was running from a premade campaign, so I always and something easy to do/post. My advice: plan ahead, take breaks when you need it, and keep yourself accountable.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 28, 2017, 06:09:38 pm »

Alright, with that mental handicap in mind, I've had this one setting in mind that I would like to use for...something, and a forum game could make for one such use. However, it has one problem that is pretty much inherent due to the theme (read down below) that could easily make it a pain to actually manage, and we all know how well I handle pretty much anything, but especially complicated things.
Not to mention that I have not a damn clue about what mechanical system to actually settle with (or go full-on narrative-only, in a classic Maks fashion) because while I spent an okay amount of time on this setting, it was never really within the context of a Bay12 forum game.

With this two-paragraph disclaimer out of the way, here's the primer for The Hundred Emperors, a setting of soft sci-fi coolness, badassery, and tricky quasi-politics.

Goddamn, did you do that art?

Sorry, but I've been holding off on trying to run some games I've wanted to try for a while because I've wanted some specific art to go with them.

Oh, also I do have ADD and I have found it difficult to keep up with games I've tried to run. Partially because once it gets into two or three hours to run a turn, it just gets too time-consuming, partially because I find myself putting off updates, and sometimes because I just get too into it in my head and the real thing can't match up and I lose interest.

My first piece of advice is this: if you come up with an idea, write it down/hash it out as much as you like, but wait a month. If you're still interested after a full thirty days, you still like the idea, then odds are it's original and actually interesting for you. I don't know how many game ideas I've had that were just the result of a movie or book I liked.

Though also I have meds that work really well.

For me, my less-planned games have been the ones to get farther, probably because I've got a bit of a perfectionist streak so the more I plan the more it has to adhere exactly to that plan. Although hyper-focus helps with the design part, like this or the absurdity that was this.

I would kinda suggest just going for a basic game that you don't need to do very complicated work to run, but you know you'll enjoy.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 28, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »

Oh jesus.
Way to make me feel bad about abandoning a game three years ago. Now rebooting that game is going to be on my mind all week. You're just the worst, Rolepgeek, and this is 300% your fault and absolutely not mine at all.

I can't believe you've done this.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 28, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »

For me, my less-planned games have been the ones to get farther, probably because I've got a bit of a perfectionist streak so the more I plan the more it has to adhere exactly to that plan. Although hyper-focus helps with the design part, like this or the absurdity that was this.

The thing that a less-planned game avoids is the unfortunate tendency to frontload a game with exposition and prologues that draw everything out and aren't decently paced or made with any kind of schedule in mind. A well-planned start, however, avoids both that and having no plan at all, which brings the GM to the question of "what now", the answer to which is "I'll stall the players with some bullshit until I have a better plan" at which point you're just wasting time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:29:10 pm by Harry Baldman »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 28, 2017, 06:44:10 pm »

For what it's worth the THE setting has been on my mind on and off in some form or another for well over a year now, if not even longer (any chance y'all remember my Chrono Warriors thread with a bunch of character designs that I made in August 2015? This is basically a spiritual successor of that universe.), so it's already got a better run than some other of my things because, if nothing else, it's something that I like going back to, a soft sci-fi setting of awesomeness, even if I might not be the best at actually 'sharing' that setting with others in a meaningful way (ie. not just infodumping about some plotline to someone).

So in that regard, it's in the same vein as Wasteland&Wonderland (Gun Francisco), that I don't feel like I will ever completely drop the concept, even if it's changed a lot since its original incarnation. (anyone who's been following my nonsense trains of thoughts long enough to remember the early iterations of Gun Francisco will clearly see just how different it is from where it's at now, and a similar thing has happened to THE.)

I don't have them on hand on this laptop but I do have some more lore written up on my desktop, including a few Pantheons and their members, and some locations, even if I have not updated them in a while.

Basically all of this is a very verbose way of saying "I'm enthusiastic about this enough to keep working on it in some form or another over the course of a longer period of time, so I feel like I could see myself following through with it as a forum game", though I feel like I might have gotten overly defensive about it.

Then again I don't feel like the opportunity cost of starting and failing to properly maintain a text forum game is particularly large (except maybe further damaging my reputation as a GM, but I have not run a game in years anyway), so I might give it a shot pretty soon.

EDIT: Also before I forget, yes, I made that logo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:54:31 pm by Maks »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: February 05, 2017, 05:29:01 pm »

Recently, I was considering a simple system for making short, one-off games. I'm not sure what the mechanics of the actual games would be, but then again, it doesn't need to be anything specific, so the style and mechanics can be up to the hoster. The way one would make a game is simple to randomly generate a few (1-3) details about the main character, premise, and event separately. I'll make an example for 2 details each, and borrow Fniff's generator for this (Fniff, if you're reading this, this was not the game I mentioned to you).

Character- Tunnel, Broken.
Premise- Betrayal, Ferret.
Event- Prayer, Disappear.

In the past, ferrets had turned on humans, becoming the dominant race. The character(s) would be one of several ferrets whose jobs are building underground passageways for the city of San Furansisco, but most of their equipment was too old and decrepit to work well. One day, the head church of Mustelanity in your city disappears, causing all sorts of end-of-the-world riot in the streets above. Your outdated geological censors suggest that the chapel fell underground, so you all decide to find where the central church went, uncovering  and stopping a human organization trying to overturn the government of their overlords and regain the Earth.

..yeah. Pretty weird, but it could still work for a short while. What do you all think? Not the story itself, the generation. Maybe you should try making a story for yourself this way.

Edit: The generator is Here.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:34:09 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: February 07, 2017, 07:50:37 am »

Interest Check - "You are The Gamer" based on the Manhwa of the same name.
Just need to find a way to not have you play on the standard world ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: February 07, 2017, 09:19:43 am »

Alternative game system, mayhaps.

Caves of Qud's system, maybe.

Or alternatively, give the Gamer power to a character in a different fictional world. Though that's been done quite a bit.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: February 07, 2017, 12:40:20 pm »

Interest Check- The Cult of Nomic
It is basically religion building with nomic.
Warning, the rule set is for most intents and purposes the same length as the original rules.
Note: I didn't create the rules for The Cult of Nomic.

Anyone interested?
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:00 pm »

Maybe.

Also, new idea.

YOU ARE PLAYING A SUGGESTION GAME.

You're welcome.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: February 07, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »

So this is a place to store ideas, no? Cool. I'm running three games right now, and I'm afraid I'll forget a certain idea while doing them.

Anyway, my idea: I did two video game adaptation Forum Games. One's dead and was based on Dead Rising 2, and one gets updated so rarely it's pretty much dead, based on Killer Instinct. And I think I know why: the suggestion game is a much better format.

So, enough rambling, how about: A suggestion game based on multiple choice games? My first, and current, idea for this sort of thing would be an SG based on Shadow the Hedgehog, that "edgy" Sonic spin-off that came out in 2005 that got mixed reviews (but I love it.) It would be nice to know who else would think that would be cool before I put it into place/wait for one of my big three to finish/die and then make it.

Too...Medium?;Didn't Read: Interest Check for Future Game: Shadow the Hedgehog SG. Any advice for running such a thing?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:56:25 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: February 08, 2017, 06:38:18 pm »

Well my second attempt at adventure is not running smoothly.

Thinking of jumping in on the SG front.

On a large, fictional world with one super continent and islands. Many different stories.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any of these sound good? The world setting has so much background may make a wiki page for it.

If anyone is interested.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2984 on: February 08, 2017, 06:53:24 pm »

suggestion game is a much better format

Resist!
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 238