Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407379 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2955 on: January 26, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »

So, not that I am for sure going to be doing this, but is there any interest in a PbP, newbie friendly, start from level 1, D&D 3.5 campaign?

If you can use Roll20, I'd suggest doing it via text in that. PbP D&D is a pretty shaky proposition pacing-wise. It only very rarely works as far as I've seen, and it's much easier to make it a weekly thing.

In any case, do color me interested for 3.5. I don't play nearly enough of it for my liking.

I had considered doing special breaks to third party software for combat, because D&D type combat on a forum is ridiculously slow, but I hadn't really considered running the entire thing from it. I'll think about it and see what's available, if I even have a substantial block of time to regularly devote once a week. (That I'm not already using for my IRL game)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: January 26, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »

I would probably be interested.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 26, 2017, 07:11:11 pm »

I'd be at least loosely interested.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: January 26, 2017, 07:15:43 pm »

Personally I find the rules of 3.5 DnD to be incredibly complicated compared to 5th edition so unless the game is extremely newbie friendly, then I count myself as not interested.

FAKEDIT: although I would be interested if I could figure out the rules.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:14 pm »

What would people say to a game where you're space criminals serving on a "canary squad" to earn reduced sentences?
Yes I know I lifted that premise from Red Dwarf.
I've wondered about the potential of adapting 5e to sci fi for a while.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 26, 2017, 11:57:36 pm »

So, not that I am for sure going to be doing this, but is there any interest in a PbP, newbie friendly, start from level 1, D&D 3.5 campaign?
I'm also interested.

What would people say to a game where you're space criminals serving on a "canary squad" to earn reduced sentences?
That's also interesting.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 27, 2017, 03:55:43 am »

Sci-fi 5e? Sign me up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: January 27, 2017, 04:58:49 am »

Einsteinian Roulette in 5th edition? Could be a fun experiment. I'd suggest you look into something like Stars Without Number or other OSR games to see how it's been done before with d20-esque systems, so as to not need to retread the same kind of ground again.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:06 am »

Einsteinian Roulette in 5th edition? Could be a fun experiment. I'd suggest you look into something like Stars Without Number or other OSR games to see how it's been done before with d20-esque systems, so as to not need to retread the same kind of ground again.
Yeah, depending on whether you're more interested in the idea of a 5e game in space or just a PbP D&D space game, OSR might work better for you since there's less emphasis on the action economy (so you can pretty easily take combat turns simultaneously). Regardless, Stars Without Number has some good system-agnostic rules for space games, and you can pick it up for free.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:41 am »

Of course Stars Without Number isn't a super good system by itself - it's like a stripped down version of Traveller hybridized with old D&D, with most of the really confusing shit taken out, but similarly it has some balance issues, particularly with how its equipment works and how attack rolls scale by level vs. the availability of armor. It is however nice in that SWN isn't really built around the notion of shootbang as a centerpiece, and combat is something you tend to want to avoid as a consequence, particularly at low levels.

It has a lot of similarities with 5E and the number ranges are pretty similar - there's also a revised version of SWN coming out in the not-too-distant future where it seems like the author is going to fix a lot of its more glaring flaws, like how psionics are implemented (giving you more of a power tree as opposed to the existing progression with its large amounts of empty levels and unreachable end goals) and how attack rolls work (1d20 + attack bonus + skill bonus + enemy's AC + miscellaneous bonuses, over 20 is a hit and under 20 is a miss, which is to be replaced with AC being the target number).

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:54 am »

I would play it, but I have no experience with 5e
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:20 am »

This is something I am pretty much known for at this point, but I utterly hate it - I have so many ideas that I am so eager to realize in the beginning (in this case, for forum games) but I lose interest in them so quickly which is as annoying to the players as it is to me.
(ADHD is a bitch.)

(Or really just get hit by executive dysfunction which makes it actually impossible for me to put up an update. Or I get overwhelmed by my own rules.)

How do you people manage to run forum games for weeks, months, -years-, without just suddenly losing interest halfway through? I don't understand and I'm envious of it because it's really no fun that I can never actually finish anything that I start. ;-;
(inb4 the answer is "well it just works for me" and it turns out that my brain is simply not compatible with any sort of long-term projects, at least not without medication/therapy)

This is a little more 'meta' and perhaps kinda ranty/venty and I apologize, but ugh...I just wish I could actually utilize my creativity/imagination properly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: January 28, 2017, 12:02:11 pm »

Oh gods, I know that pain  :(

@Harry I'll check that out. Sounds like a good springboard
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 28, 2017, 12:38:38 pm »

How do you people manage to run forum games for weeks, months, -years-, without just suddenly losing interest halfway through? I don't understand and I'm envious of it because it's really no fun that I can never actually finish anything that I start. ;-;

Planning ahead is a great idea. Have the starting scenario worked out. A lot of times when I've completely fucked a game is because I had a good plan on how it was supposed to start but then I diverged from it for no good reason. Pacing is important as well. It's why suggestion games don't work well with exhaustive character creation, for instance.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 28, 2017, 04:42:51 pm »

Alright, with that mental handicap in mind, I've had this one setting in mind that I would like to use for...something, and a forum game could make for one such use. However, it has one problem that is pretty much inherent due to the theme (read down below) that could easily make it a pain to actually manage, and we all know how well I handle pretty much anything, but especially complicated things.
Not to mention that I have not a damn clue about what mechanical system to actually settle with (or go full-on narrative-only, in a classic Maks fashion) because while I spent an okay amount of time on this setting, it was never really within the context of a Bay12 forum game.

With this two-paragraph disclaimer out of the way, here's the primer for The Hundred Emperors, a setting of soft sci-fi coolness, badassery, and tricky quasi-politics.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 238