Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Should I atomsmash 40 dwarven children?  (Read 7998 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I atomsmash 40 dwarven children?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

Only in DF can you have a group of people get together to discuss the most efficient way to slaughter 40 children while leaving no witnesses. And someone was just wondering why DF isn't available on Steam...

For the record, I couldn't be more proud of you guys. *tear*

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »

Do vampires feed on children? You could make a burrow that covers all the kids bedrooms and assign a vampire to it (or maybe the kids too?). Plus point if you make all walls out of glass so there are as many witnesses as possible so you also get rid of the vamp.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »

Glass walls are opaque.( or so I'm told ) You'd need windows.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »

Whats the consensus on the children themselves being witness as they are being atomsmashed? Possible problem?

Is there like a master guide on improving FPS? You'd think it had it's own chapter on atomsmashing dwarf babies.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »

The only possible answer to the title of this thread is:

"Yes"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:59 am »

Do vampires feed on children? You could make a burrow that covers all the kids bedrooms and assign a vampire to it (or maybe the kids too?). Plus point if you make all walls out of glass so there are as many witnesses as possible so you also get rid of the vamp.

vampires don't obey burrows for their feeding

also, I've been atomsmashing items in a fort for ig years now and my fps is keeping at around 40. Normally it would be somewhere at 15 by now, or lower
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:50:47 am »

You could however make bedrooms and assign them only to the children, and let the others sleep in a dormitory in the middle of your meeting hall. To test how clever vampires are when selecting victims.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 05:34:17 am »

With the new minecarts, you could make a public safety film about the dangers of children playing on railways.  Create a long thin hall with a track down it, burrow the children in there, launch a cart at very high speed down the hall.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:05 am »

...When the robots of the future want to streamline their mass human killing processes, they will look to this thread, and this forum in general. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Fusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:15 am »

Get 40 slabs ready, and maybe build a couple extra craftdwarfs' shops to speed up the engraving once the deed is done. 

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25:43 am »

Children aren't a huge burden to the fort. They spend most of their time doing nothing, and don't contribute greatly to pathing calculations. You'd be better off with a vegan fort.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:27 am »

Is there like a master guide on improving FPS? You'd think it had it's own chapter on atomsmashing dwarf babies.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Maximizing_framerate

Last I heard, turning off temperature has a massive effect on FPS, though you lose magma fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 09:51:37 am »

and freezing fun
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »

Turning off temperatures gives me an extra 10-15 FPS. Atom smashing does not contribute to FPS lag. NW_Kohaku's FPS thread spread so much misinformation, it's not even funny. I mean, if you followed the thread to the end, he finally admits all his theories are wrong (any computer programmer could have told you that from the get-go), but most people just took his initial suppositions as carved-in-stone truth. He should have put "I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT LAG" in the very first post, so people wouldn't get so confused.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:12 pm »

To commit mass infanticide,
or not to commit mass infanticide:

That is the question.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4