Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How did you reach the celestial city?  (Read 11814 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you reach the celestial city?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 03:39:07 am »

BoatMurdered.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 05:04:19 am »

Found it on Roguebasin, but decided to ignore it (too engrossed in NetHack and trying to understand Dungeon Crawl, which I never got around to).

Eventually, when I was hooked for the first time on TvTropes, then I saw this. Reading through the article, I found out there's a ton of slapstick possibilities and people trying to weaponize everything. Then I found a mention of Boatmurdered on the same article...

Boatmurdered allowed me to finally stop ignoring this game and DL it.

At first, I was confused with its family-unfriendly GUI and ASCII graphics, so I googled for a guide. But instead, I found a link for LazyNewbPack, which promised to be a good help to newbs and such. Still wasn't enough, so I searched read a guide to farming. Spent an hour or so just trying to divert, build mechanisms for a floodgate and wet a patch of land underground for farming. After that, I got engrossed by its complexities, and decided to try to understand the game no matter what, difficulty curve be damned.

Then I got to modding, then yeah, became a true dwarf.

Basically, I earned the right to be on top of this damned mountain, and there's no way I'm going down and letting this piece of landmass go.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:07:10 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 05:23:08 am »

I stumbled upon this picture somewhere, and that was it, i started playing. Then i found the FUN stories, and this holy land. And i will never leave.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 05:40:18 am »

Asking a co-worker how his research was going, and finding out it hadnt got anywhere as he was too distracted by a new game he thought I would like... productivity here has a serious hit over the last few years.
This is a blank sig.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:03 am »

BoatMurdered.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 06:25:24 am »

Yeah Boatmurdered, I was all like ":O"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 07:04:01 am »

1. Youtubin' game mechanics and physics engines (I think originally looking at some impressive GMOD stuff), looking for some really decent games.
2. DF water/magma simulation.
3. Watch it.
4. Intrigued by what was going on (it looked pretty complex yet simple).
5. Downloaded DF.
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. Bay12

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 07:29:32 am »

I think I first heard about it on the website for a game that I bought commercially.  That programming house was going to bring out a new game and a couple of people asked if it would be like Dwarf Fortress in the player being able to reclaim lost settlements in a new game.  I looked at DF and was repelled by the dripping blood screen.  A while later, I was really bored and downloaded it anyway since it was free.  The first version I downloaded was through a link from some other site and it kept bombing out as soon as I tried to build a shop.  It was some "improved" version and I guess it didn't have all of the graphics or something.  I liked what I had seen so far of the game mechanics, so I deleted the defective version and downloaded it straight from here despite the dripping blood.  I stayed up that night playing it until 4 AM the next morning, which was the first time I'd stayed up that long in probably 35 years.  I was hooked.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:46 am »

I looked at DF and was repelled by the dripping blood screen. 
Dripping blood screen? I'm not quite sure I follow, mate.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 10:40:58 am »

Minecraft wiki  :-[
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 10:56:59 am »

i read a wired article about mechanical computers within games.
checked out minecraft. found it to be ugly, multiplayer, first person and ... java.
so i looked at the other game described in the article. and it intrigued me.
i immediately knew that the "graphics" though ugly as hell were perfect for both identifying what is going on on screen and imagening the world like reading a book. i never changed the default tileset other than using 800x600 windowed. friends say i play the matrix.
i started with a guide with the first two chapters called "WTF?!" and "Srsly, wtf?!" (thanks to the author!) but ignored the tutorial map it provided. quickly abandoned it because it used a custom tileset. lost the first forts to aquivers because i'm not a native speaker and didn't know the meaning of the word at the time. almost gave up on it, then i too read boatmurdered. after that i knew i had to "climb that damn learning cliff" and the wiki helped a lot. my fortresses are still a bit conservative but i have great fun with it. and i can play it on a rusty eeepc running linux :)

oh and i constantly fail to adequately summarize what it is and why i'm fascinated. it usually ends with me talking for hours and bore the poor guy that is too polite to stop me ...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:00:50 am by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 11:28:00 am »

I looked at DF and was repelled by the dripping blood screen. 
Dripping blood screen? I'm not quite sure I follow, mate.
The download links used to be on a dedicated page instead of combined with the daily log.  It featured a larger version of the forum logo SLAVES TO ARMOK: GOD OF BLOOD, with blood drips instead of red spray paint effect.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 12:04:13 pm »

The BoatMurdered LP along with playing Aurora.  One thing led to another, and the next thing you know, I'm stumbling out of a workshop with a strange artefact that bristles with spikes of giant hedgehog bone. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »

I followed a friend on a camel hunt, as he was wailing about "bolters" and "[other internet buddy] got killed by a camel." I thought they were playing yet another game without me, even having mentioned that it was free. I was horribly, horribly wrong. The bastard led me into the middle of the deep, dark, deer-infested woods with seven losers and a river full of crocodiles. Then he told me how to dig and set up a farm, but not plant, handing me nothing but an incomplete, undetailed "wiki", and walked away, never to be heard from again. I barely made it out of those woods alive, all the dwarves dying of starvation or being mauled by crocodiles. Eventually I stumbled upon more and more dwarves heading off every which way, searching for treasure and death, and I followed, seeing no civilization anywhere. I watched one fortress after another starve or be conquered by goblins as they were defended only by wrestlers who were only available half the time because the entire sqaud would follow the leader to bed if he was tired or to have a break in the dining hall if it was his day off. I sabotaged a few of them myself by knocking out floodgates or misdesigning wells. Then, high in the mountains in a place known as Finger the Anus of Horses (which I understood was named after the curses of the expedition leader in realizing how royally screwed they were.) I learned the glories of water pressure and flung myself clear across the mountain range into a bay along the coasts. The Twelth Bay. Civilization at last, and there's no way I'm leaving.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »

A link in someone's sig in the Abandonia forums.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4