Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How did you reach the celestial city?  (Read 11809 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you reach the celestial city?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »

Once upon a time, when I still dwelt in the slums and ghettos of various gaming forums in search for a true sandbox, I discovered a place called TV Tropes. After stumbling through the dizzying archives and midden heaps of the land for weeks, I decided to leave. But that's when I heard whispers of a grand land from a fellow lost soul. A place where anything was possible, yet had no fees nor toll to pay for entrance. A true land of no illusions, yet of the most concrete truths.
My interest was piqued, and traveled the inns and taverns to hear of tales of such a city. The denizens were mad, many told me. Some say they were pretentious old men, that the world have left behind. Others said that they were the last of a great race of philsopher kings. But all could agree, that the songs and tales were of a quality that few could ever hope to achieve. When I heard of the epic of Boatmurdered, I knew that such a calling was irresistable.
I set off, saying farewell to my friends, despite their pleading cries, I set off. Finding such a place was of no great concern. I saw the city, a towering construction of steel, adamantine, and bone on the horizon. I strode forward through the fogs and I gasped in bewilderment. Terrifying cliffs flowing with magma and spikes leered above me. I saw a path and attempted to climb, but I could not see, as all paths seemed correct yet wrong at the same time. I returned to the slums and felt rage overcome me. Impossible and arrogant! Sheltered in their incomprehensible labyrinths from reality and the rest of the world.
But I felt remorse after my return, and I realized that no longer could I enjoy the routines of old when I knew my true callings. I found an ancient map, and though the journey seemed to have last a lifetime, and there were times when I wished that I could relieve myself of such a burden, I persevered. Eventually, I no longer needed the parchment, for I have memorized all of the crags and dangers. Bidding him farewell, I continued on my path alone and reached the great gates of the Toad's realm.
Looking back down, past the horrors and challenges I triumphed over, I saw how so previously incosequential nearly everything before has been. I stood up, dusted off my tattered robes and entered the city. Yet it has just begun.
So how did you get here? I made the journey pretty much alone, and with an online written guide.

Very similar to yours, although I spent a while reading the wiki and forums before actually downloading.
TV Tropes is like a recruiting ground for DF. Or maybe a gateways. If the latter, it also seems to be a gateway to Cracked.
(Andother things, but they haven't consumed as much of my time.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun had TinyPirate's guide to DF. I poked at it a bit, got bored, and wandered off.
Then a friend mentioned it and I came back and prodded at it some more.
Then I tripped over a rock, fell on my ass, and saw the looming, jagged cliffs hanging above, spilling magma and water down to wash away the bones of those who sought to climb it and failed.
So I dug in and started climbing.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »

for me i was reading on a FARK forum and people were discussing DF v. Minecraft.  I played Minecraft first because it was more accessible but got sick of it fast.  I saw that same "FUN" comic that was posted above, and read Boatmurdered and though "I have to do this"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »

Through TV Tropes, specifically it linked me to Boatmurdered and it all went from there.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »

My journey began sometime in the fog of ancient times where history is forgotten and but a blur. Then the bright light of salvation opened my eyes, almost blinded me to much else and I was born anew. A rapidly aging baby in a new crib. A crib menacing with spikes of every imaginable material. Surely a tantrum spiral was inevitable, but somehow the baby survived, grew, and started, many mega-projects involving magma, water, and dizzying heights. And yet a new phase is yet to begin... always something new to exercise the imagination.

Pass the ale! We've got track to carve! Carts to build! New ways of disposing of cats to invent!!!

=P

EDIT: In other words... I haven't a clue how I found DF. I only know that it sometimes feels like the first and last game I've played or ever will.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:06:20 pm by kirrian »

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:13 pm »

I searched for roguelike games, and this came up. I downloaded it, didn't understand it, came back to it, loved it. After playing it for a few months I joined the forums.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:40 pm »

I think it was my friend, showed me this game, lost first 7 games due to lack of knowledge how to dig, build or farm, and after that it was starting to get better and better.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 11:46:10 pm »

Played Liberal Crime Squad. Liked it. Broke the game so thoroughly that I could win anytime I wanted to. Felt sad. Found Dwarf Fortress on the same forum. Realized that this is a game I could never break nearly as thoroughly as LCS, and promptly got obsessed. In my typically autistic way, six months later I'd finished my first megaproject. Ah, the beauty of obsession. <3

Says something about DF that it takes six months to even become competent. Any other game, you can learn in, like, a week.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 11:51:45 pm »

I first heard about DF on an obscure browser game called, Muelsfell, from an in-game friend, Dilt. I did google it after he recommended it and came to the home page, saw the ascii and was immediately repulsed by it. A definate regret, that I didn't give it the chance it deserved then though. As it would've been way cool to be in on this game a lot sooner.

A year or 2 later, I got stuck on another tvtropes run, cause someone just had to drop a link to it. I don't even remember where I was before that. Well in the course of navigating that labyrinthe of a website, I stumbled across their page for DF. Needless to say, I had a very good laugh while reading it. Earlier in the page it had mentioned some LP's, so I went back to investigate further. Then typed Boatmurdered into google.

I read boatmurdered over the course of the next couple days, whenever I got a free moment at work or home. I was laughing so hard at points, my coworkers were lookin at me funny. Once finished with Boatmurdered I went back to the tvtropes page to pick up the names of the other two LP's I saw mentioned, Headshoots and Syrupleaf. Finished both of them up over the next week and a half or so, and then immediately dl'd the 40d version. A couple weeks later I'd officially join the forums.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 12:19:50 am »

Heard it from /v/ a year or two or whatever ago. Played it on and off, then I read about Boatmurdered and I got hooked, but then I stopped. I stumbled upon it again on tvtropes, and I decided to pick it up again. Now I'm playing it again, and I see a lot of new stuff added in the mix. The thing that amazed me the most though was the fact that you can resize the screen now. I don't know why.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 02:08:50 am »

As so often happens, I first heard of the City of Twelve Bays and Stout Adamantine Fortress that lay within its borders amongst the halls of various gathering places. At first I found such stories interesting- tales of godlike power and vast wealth simply there for the taking by those brave or foolish enough to seek it. Arrogantly, I decided that I would be the next to take a portion of the hoard for myself, but my efforts were stymied almost immediately. I managed to orient myself well enough to catch a glimpse of the vast horde and its unlimited potential... but I had no companions and no guide on my journey, and my hopes were quickly dashed. Dejected, depressed, and defeated, I resigned myself to merely being content with the stories of such wonders as the rest of the world could only imagine that occasionally managed to escape from the City of Twelve bays unto the wider world beyond.

But then, one epic caught my ear, the story of a city by the name of Koganusan. The horrors and joys, the wealth and the filth, the life and the love and the hate and the killing that went on in such a place... I assured myself that the tales must have been embellished- certainly so such thing could possibly have happened anywhere! But I found that tale dwelling in my mind, haunting me, for days, weeks. I grew frustrated and spiteful, resolving never again to listen to a tale of The Adamantine Fortress... but the allure of such riches called to me, and my resolve quickly faltered.

Like a man... or should I say, like a dwarf possessed, I sought any information I could on the Stout Adamantine Fortress, and eventually I stumbled my way across a map. A well articulated and detailed document that menaced with spikes of steel and goblin bone. I hesitated not a moment before setting off again, my way now illuminated by the map- I knew not whether it was a fool's errand or the path to divinity, but I was determined to find out no matter the cost to myself.

I consulted the map frequently, and every step of the way things grew clearer. The fogs began to lift, and the snaking, winding paths slowly revealed their secrets to me, and I saw that while they were narrow and easy to stumble from (which I did many times,) they in truth did not twist so much as I had first thought.

At some point upon my journey, I looked behind myself and realized that I had come much further than I had thought. The path stretched out behind and below me further than I could see, and it struck me that somewhere along the way I had become one of the denizens of The Adamantine Fortress- my skills and power godlike compared to some, but I could see that there were those whose power and accomplishments were greater still. In my wake I had created and left a trail of cities, some burning, some flooded, others overrun by enemy hordes and still others which had succumbed to disease. And I resolved to become greater. More cities must be built, their accomplishments must be greater.

But... I never forgot the map, nor did I ever forget the one who had made it, though I had never met him nor could I even recall his name. Names were unimportant, I decided, and I made a new resolution. I decided to help the fledgling seekers upon their way, hoping that I could help them past the stumbling stones that seemed to shift beneath their feet as they had beneath my own, to help them bridge the chasms and to teach them how to slay those who would oppose them. And I look at their efforts, and I look upon the cities I have built, and I am satisfied... for now. But I am always thinking, always dreaming of my next city, always planning and always directing those under my care, cruel as it may be at times, encouraging and directing them to become greater.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:15:31 am by Particleman »

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03:52 am »

Minecraft wiki and watching let's play afterwards.

I still remember my earliest fort. It suffered a quick end because all the water froze over and I didn't have a good booze production going yet. After that I became sort of obsessed with building wells and I had a lot of "fun" during my first attempts to build one. I didn't cope with water pressure very well causing most of my earliest wells to flood.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

I had an interest in procedurally-built games, which led me to roguelikes, which led me here. I'd already played games like ZZT with ASCII graphics, so the appearance never disturbed me. Dwarf Fortress feels like some of the older DOS simulation games made a flying leap through three decades and landed here.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »

1. Play classic games and roguelikes only
2. Read TVTropes
3. Random Trope -> Dorf Fort
4. WHAT THE ACTUAL EFF.
5. WHAT EFF.
6. ...bahaha, wtf?
7. kekekekeekeke wtf this is awesome
8. you know, this would be more hilarious with magma
9. download DF
10. *fort death and frsutration*
11. *hilarious fort deaths*
12. *really really hilarious, really stupid fort deaths*
13. "The Goblin is caught in a pool of lava!" x87

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 03:08:38 pm »

I was looking at Infiniminer videos on Youtube at work and read a comment saying "it's like DOOM meets Dwarf Fortress".

My life changed forever.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4