Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How did you reach the celestial city?  (Read 11808 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you reach the celestial city?
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:57 pm »

Once upon a time, when I still dwelt in the slums and ghettos of various gaming forums in search for a true sandbox, I discovered a place called TV Tropes. After stumbling through the dizzying archives and midden heaps of the land for weeks, I decided to leave. But that's when I heard whispers of a grand land from a fellow lost soul. A place where anything was possible, yet had no fees nor toll to pay for entrance. A true land of no illusions, yet of the most concrete truths.
My interest was piqued, and traveled the inns and taverns to hear of tales of such a city. The denizens were mad, many told me. Some say they were pretentious old men, that the world have left behind. Others said that they were the last of a great race of philsopher kings. But all could agree, that the songs and tales were of a quality that few could ever hope to achieve. When I heard of the epic of Boatmurdered, I knew that such a calling was irresistable.
I set off, saying farewell to my friends, despite their pleading cries, I set off. Finding such a place was of no great concern. I saw the city, a towering construction of steel, adamantine, and bone on the horizon. I strode forward through the fogs and I gasped in bewilderment. Terrifying cliffs flowing with magma and spikes leered above me. I saw a path and attempted to climb, but I could not see, as all paths seemed correct yet wrong at the same time. I returned to the slums and felt rage overcome me. Impossible and arrogant! Sheltered in their incomprehensible labyrinths from reality and the rest of the world.
But I felt remorse after my return, and I realized that no longer could I enjoy the routines of old when I knew my true callings. I found an ancient map, and though the journey seemed to have last a lifetime, and there were times when I wished that I could relieve myself of such a burden, I persevered. Eventually, I no longer needed the parchment, for I have memorized all of the crags and dangers. Bidding him farewell, I continued on my path alone and reached the great gates of the Toad's realm.
Looking back down, past the horrors and challenges I triumphed over, I saw how so previously incosequential nearly everything before has been. I stood up, dusted off my tattered robes and entered the city. Yet it has just begun.
So how did you get here? I made the journey pretty much alone, and with an online written guide.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:44:57 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: How did you reach the celestial city?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02:07 pm »

Almost exactly as you did, friend. TV Tropes still has me in its grips, along with the SCP Foundation, OotS, XKCD, Goblins, ALP, Darths and Droids, and numerous others, but now the majority of my internet time is spent here, in the bastion of Dorfyness.

This is an artifact website.  It menaces with spikes of cat tallow.  It has hanging rings of acceptance and toad bone.  On this item is an image of a Dwarf in adamantite.  The dwarf is laboring.  The image relates to the founding of Dwarf Fortress by the expedition leader Toady One the Great. On this item is an image of many humans and a dwarf in silver.  The humans are surrounding the dwarf.  The dwarf is making a demure gesture. This image relates to the praising of the dwarf Toady One the Great by the human community of Bay12.  On this item is an image of a computer within a computer in obsidian. The image relates to the achievements of the human community of Bay12.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:16:29 pm »

Wow very poetic and what not.

I was just playin minecraft probly on the forums pretty sure i got a link or sombody referenced dor fortress and I looked it up.

I dont play like crazy but this is pretty much the best rts,sim,beardy,thing on the internet also its free.

Third.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:26:34 pm »

Just read the pilgrim's progress, and Christian reminded me of myself as a newb.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »

>Download dwarf fortress

>>See forums

>>>KOBOLD HAS JOINED
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »

I dont exactly remember, I guess it was something about me looking at snes games or something like that, seeing it, and cowardly running away with my eyes bleeding, going back, being scared once and once again. Until I started poking at it, my eyes no longer felt pain, I soon embraced it, and saw how my brain was used for something else that remembering the Use button.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:15 pm »

"Yeah, I mean I've seen a screenshot or two but I couldn't make sense of it.  I guess I'll give it a go if you say it's a good game.  You've been right about these things historically."

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »

Saw a mention of it on a roguelike forum. Spent about a week making it work - but it was rough. I stopped for some reason or another and then boatmurdered started up, I saw reference to it, gave it another whirl, and it stuck that time.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »

My friend saw it on one of Yahoo's "Top 10 Best Freeware of the Year" lists. He of course immediately downloaded it and began playing. Sadly then due to their not being a mac version at the time I was forced to wait another 6-12 months before Toady finally came out with the mac version which I immediately picked up. My friend has now moved on from DF, but I'm still here going strong.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »

Friend of mine introduced it to me via Rock, Paper, Shotgun and the saga of Onionbog. Then he pulled out Boatmurdered. I then got hooked on reading all the crazy sandbox stuff documented on parts of the wiki.. and got stuck into the game :D
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:55:17 pm »

was on the minecraft wiki, decided to follow the links to both this game and infiniminer. This got my attention, the other didn't. As I failed to play the game(lost a good 20 forts to food issues) I stumbled through the wiki. Eventually got bored and went to TvTropes and looked this up. Saw links to a few stories legends such as boatmurdered. Also saw the link to the mermaid farming page. the fact that there was a community so deranged that it horrified its master intrigued me. So I started to lurk through pages and discover more of this glorious place. Then I had a question, so I needed to sign up.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:15:36 am »

fairly sure I explained this a couple times already, but whatever:

Fucking around on my little brother's Xfire account, chatting with his friends and whatnot, when one mentions something about playing a game called Dwarf Fortress. He sends me some screenshots, and after a few days mulling it over, I dredge through a bunch of reviews, guides, let's plays, ect. and finally try it out myself. After that, it wasn't long before I jumped into the forums to join the rest of you stark raving mad motherfuckers.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 12:43:11 am »

Some guy in an IRC room I frequent was playing it and sharing his assorted stories of hilarious combat reports, failed projects that ended in !!fun!!, and the like. After a while, I got curious enough and started playing. Sadly, I don't really remember my first few forts, other than that they sucked horribly and I did not understand the game's Z-axis or how stairs worked for a while.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:00 am »

I thought this was going to be about what's at the top of a candy spire...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:34:00 am »

I kept running across references to Boatmurdered over on the Order of the Stick Forums and finally found the link to said fort. From then, it was only a matter of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4