Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35622 times)

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:22 am »

Yeah i doubt anybody would understand if i lapse to russian:)

Meph with your mod flavor it seems like you went up to 19th century tech with all those steampanly automatons and turrets. Why not try to make big guns (artillery) - superheavy (for slow movement) "rifles" with great blast power but which will have a really expensive price and ammo cost. I doubt it is possible to make it 2-3 dwarfes operated though it would be cool (but impossible nontheless).
Also idea to think about - healing potions - very expensive drink made with a lot of herbs and rare materials which will transform a dwarf to its healed form. Micromanagement with drinks and burrows would be a pain in the posterior though.
Well that's it for now - i will post in some good ideas if they go to my mind:)

Probably the most reasonable way to use health potions is with a reaction that heals the dwarf who uses it (Managed with workshop profiles) and consumes the potion (probably made an Apothecarius or Alchemist's Lab) Rather than burrows and the like.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 06:40:49 am »

Yeah - that's probably better. So you just make potions from alchemist/herbalist and use them at hospital workshop/doctor table - and you have way to make different cures from diseases and healing better.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 08:55:18 am »

I do have a healing potion and a reaction, the elixir of life can be made from the philosophers stone and fully heals, and the fountain of youth does the same if you swim in it. the problem is that injured dwarves are lying in bed, only drinking water... really applying it will be the trick ;)

The automatons and golems/mines/turrets are more steampunk fantasy then eraly 1900 century, otherwise I could add electrizity as well... think Nicola Tesla.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 09:39:36 am »

I was thinking of a cure potion for plagues - if you can't make ward and want to cure them. And spawn point for boiling syndrom which heals sleeping dwarfes... and many more possibilities. But it should be pretty like wards. For lying dwarfes - can healing be done via syndrome which is going through reaction spawning from placeholder workshop 1 tile size?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

Yeah i doubt anybody would understand if i lapse to russian:)

Meph with your mod flavor it seems like you went up to 19th century tech with all those steampanly automatons and turrets. Why not try to make big guns (artillery) - superheavy (for slow movement) "rifles" with great blast power but which will have a really expensive price and ammo cost. I doubt it is possible to make it 2-3 dwarfes operated though it would be cool (but impossible nontheless).
Also idea to think about - healing potions - very expensive drink made with a lot of herbs and rare materials which will transform a dwarf to its healed form. Micromanagement with drinks and burrows would be a pain in the posterior though.
Well that's it for now - i will post in some good ideas if they go to my mind:)
That could be possible, if a PET creature that counted as an immobile Constuct (artillery) but you needed 2-3 dwarves with special training (artillery interactions) they have to be stationed near the artillery and they have low vision. One artillery dwarf will "Load" the artillery, inwhich it gets a interaction called "ready to fire" and applies it to the other dwarf, in which he gets "Fire artillery, then reload" he casts that on the artillery which then gets it's "Fire" interaction which would be the material emission. Then all the interactions wear off. And the cycle repeats.

A special building that is 3x3 which has only 2 blocks in which you can walk on "sandbags/barriar" you plasture the artillery in the middle so that melee fighters can't simply run right up to it, have to path around the barriar. A workshop does not hinder projectiles, so archers might be able to damage your artillery and your firing team.

Spoiler: barriar code (click to show/hide)
Of course since this would acually require only one dwarf, loads, fires. Because making two different special dwarves might be a hassle. Onless only one needs to be trained in loading artilleries, the artillery then targets a "non-loader" dwarf (normal) to give the fire command.

But then the barriar idea might be out the window due to all the pre-exsisting buildings already. That's a huge list to scroll through, and 4 variants are needed "North, West, South, East versions"

Meph already anwsered the healing potion.

Spoiler: another offtopic (click to show/hide)

@Cure potions, Boiling stone item. Make them inhale the potion

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2012, 09:52:18 am »

Cant make them inhale the potion that is generated in the workshop if the dwarf is lying in bed with 15 broken bones. Except I make a 1*1 workshop called: field sickbay or Mobile Army Surgical Hospital... wow, just realized what M*A*S*H stands for. Then build this workshop next to the injured dwarf, and have him healed.

Clutchy.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:01 am »

Clutchy but it can save your dwarf from death. For the cases you want field surgery:)

And Hugo's interpretation of artillery might the best description of what to do with it - i still don't really get interactions well enough:)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2012, 11:58:06 am »

Field surgery might be interrupted by people hauling the injured dwarf of to the real hospital.

The artillery would work, yes. But at the cost of several buildings, dwarf transformations and more. No way I will build it in, besides the point that it sounds way to WW1 for me.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »

The artillery would work, yes. But at the cost of several buildings, dwarf transformations and more. No way I will build it in, besides the point that it sounds way to WW1 for me.
You have gunpowder right?
Runescape has "Dwarven mini cannons" And no dwarf needs to be transformed, only a pet creature. All the dwarf (any dwarf) needs is an interaction [CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:LOAD_CANNON]

if the word artillery sounds off, call it a treb-ah-chea (that long range catapult thing used back then) or a cannon, and make the making of the cannon take a bunch of gunpowder and cannon balls.

Give it a really huge Viewrange and legendary (or close to) throwing/archery skill and the interaction can shoot as far as the viewrange.

EDIT:
I would throw in some raws, but the cannon would require a custom body (maybe a alteration of the wagon body? cannon barrel and 4 wheels) and 3-4 new interactions:
Load Dwarf>cannon
Ready to fire Cannon>dwarf
Fire cannon Dwarf>Cannon
Fire Cannon>Target

And the delays the AI does would simulate "Loading, then aimming"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:11:52 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2012, 12:11:50 pm »

What the hell have trebuchets to do with artillery ? ^^ I would love them as a better catapult though...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2012, 12:15:16 pm »

What the hell have trebuchets to do with artillery ? ^^ I would love them as a better catapult though...
I consider can type of machiery that requires ammo, calibration of aimming, and shoots long distances an artillery :P
But I like the cannon Idea myself
Also don't for the Edit, I hate when I post then get more for the idea :P

But this was just someone elses Idea that caught my interest :P this is after all only suggestions

EDIT:
2 things:
Thank you for helping me with interactions, by of course showing me examples of them
and
Remember if there is a suggestion on here that you like, but not sure how to do. Im all ears on helping you with it, or doing some science. We did after all flesh out Brood Mothers and Concubines :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:25:45 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »

Well, I would love to add a custom siege engine, but I think there are too many problems with it
A: Too many buildings
B: Too complicated to use, people would need to read the manual first
C: With minecarts people will build custom ranged weapons anyway

I am currently thinking about plague rats. Have vermin that bites and the bite gives the same interaction that I have in my migrants that start a plague. If you dont kill the rats, one might bite a dwarf and start a plague. But I will only implement this after I made a better defense system against plagues. Again, the wards seem to be too complicated for the majority to use.

Besides that, update to 34.08 is done, will do some bugfixing and an updated manual for the next upload, hope dfhack and therapist is done tomorrow.

And I do have something that I never got to work.. two things actually:
"Tame" invaders.
Produce entity-members or "tame" creature in workshops.

The problem is that I did a ton of science on these two, and I am fairly certain that both cant be done. Another idea I have is that orc shamans can summon spirit bears upon arrival, and that they leave a special item upon death that you can use to spawn your own spirit bears. A lot of coding, but easily done.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »

The shaman will have to be NOT_LIVING and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and his bears will have to be the same. I got a version working with a Giant feral rat that constantly breeds large feral rats in the caverns, somehwhat harmless but they could swarm a citizen can eat him alive D:

As for taming invaders that one... I will have to say I don't know how to do that. And no theory as of yet

Making civ_members I think all we can get is the "friendly" counterparts. But what happens if you simply reanimate a body part, and transform it to a DWARF also removing all UNDEAD tags...

This I can try

EDIT:
well that might just make an uncontrolled civ_member

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2012, 02:52:32 pm »

If wards are too hard then why not build a vaccinizer workshop which gives this thing to dwarves via reaction?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

Transforming the limbs to a dwarven caste does not work, tried that...

Because the ward cures everyone around him. constantly. The workshop would do one dwarf at a time, way too slow, especially for big fortresses. I think I just replace the wards with dwarves. Instead of a "fever ward" I make a "dwarf handing out medicine against fever" that has the same interactions. But people dont have to buy wards, station them near the apothecarius, and then where they want them. The version with dwarves is easier I think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14