Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Masterwork DF Suggestions (Guild-System Discussion continues here)  (Read 35625 times)

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for modding / Masterwork DF Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

sorry i did not read your topic correctly here is a more better list
magic gunpowder
magic weather machine
gas pipes
gas lights
candles
magic pets
magic pet rock
torch light
magic tardis tent one block big on the outside but biger on the inside
cactus hats
magic flying cactuss
magic flying talking cactuss
genie
oil
oil lamp
oil pipes
oil pump
gas pump
research and find out what makes matter (reasearch atoms to discover elements the periodic table and the chemical formula to be used in chemistry)

chemistry (chemical forumula based)
periodic table
early microscope
acids
bases
magic rain
magic cloud
flying fruit
flying talking fruit(amazing because fruits dont have brains)
the civilization of fruitania
fruit men
research lab
ability to send trade caravans from fortress to selected city, town, or hamlet
research transportation(wagons,faster wagons,more stable wagons,metal wagons,gas powerd wagons(burn oil,gas explodes through some water wheel thing that rotates the wheels, gass explodes out a pipe(non electrical so not high tech)

insectiside
air toxins
poisonus gas
make some type of flying anti-evil civilization deep deep in the sky or even space itself....(hint hint)
scientist

a new game called DWARF SMASH!(ogr SMASH) or aka dwarfs get so angree to the point that they do the impposible.... fly and gain lazer eyes

wooden computers so that its not high tech...(wooden laptops that must be VERY VERY slow and dwarfs GO KABOOM!)
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »

sorry i did not read your topic correctly here is a more better list
magic pets
magic pet rock
genie --- already got those
oil
oil lamp
oil pipes
oil pump
gas pump
research and find out what makes matter (reasearch atoms to discover elements the periodic table and the chemical formula to be used in chemistry)

chemistry (chemical forumula based)
periodic table
early microscope (gem lens)
acids
bases
research lab
air toxins
poisonus gas

FTFY

Meph is not Dr. Seuss "No mr fruitman, I will not eat cabbage and green ham. Said Sam I am." haha just saying some of your suggestions just don't fit what "I" think meph invisions Masterwork to be (of course I could be wrong, and he really wants to make fruit salad men from mars)

But a good amount to me would fit.

Also

Enemy spawners, Invader comes. Sets up some sortof broodmother that power spawns babies to attack your fortress. Sitting indoors for too long might make it impossible to ever leave again. or very dangerous for that matter. Maybe even some cave critters can do that too, Brood beetle makes a nest somewhere and it's spawn go out and try to find food for her and the hive.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 12:33:53 pm »

All that milkbot said, about flavour, pelts, horned helmets from horn, pelts from furred creatures, trinkets, artisans, clocks, optional standardized materials, custom named butchery objects from megabeasts... all this is polar opposite to what I have been doing. Everything serves a function. The only decoration I have are the potted plant/totem buildings, and they dont cause lag. I also added some flavour to the trading races, but even there I got requests to do away with the custom named items, because they confuse/distract people. You, milkbot, are actually the very first person to report rather playing with custom named stuff.

I can add flavour items optionally, and will add this in a poll sometime.
I will never make standardized materials an option, simply because all reactions are based on the custom mats I modded in, and it would break practically every reaction.
I do however like the idea of having more leather from bigger creatures and will see what I can do about that.
Megabeasts currently dont leave corpses, but skill aethers that give one free legendary skill. Therefore butcher-items from them would be impossible.

More descriptions is already in my todo list. I do have to note thought that the caste descriptions were one of the few genesis feature I dislikes, this one was actually that did lead that list. Obsidian, domple and whatnot, what does this guy do again, why is this civilians doing WHAT ? I choose these very short and informative one-liners, so that people can easily understand what the caste is doing. Granted, most of them you know by just seeing the high natural skills, but again, I want the mod to be easily understandable. This is very important to me, since it is very hard to get into by now, just because of its sheer size. I can however write longer descriptions in RPG style AFTER that first stentence that cleares up what the castes do.

About the good/holy/human, nature/elven, evil/dark/drow and tech/contructs/dwarf system... I am already working in that direction. Humans are not holy enough, and I will next improve on the drow with summonings and more evil stuff, but the rest is setup though. As of 1.8.1 there is a new magic system, with these bases:
Nature = Based on Alchemy and Research, made better by trading with humans and elves.
Dark = Based on killing organic things (ash, bones and blood), made better by trading with drow.
Dwarf = Based on smelting and smithing, made better by trading with dwarves and mining candy.

This leads to a high investement and different magics for different playstyles. I plan to add some more farming into the nature branch and take the human out of the equation. Maybe you are right, with humans having a magic, but dwarves only tech, BUT I just finished this and I really like the idea of dwarves praying to the rock that sourrounds them, being helped by there ancestors. I know that this is horribly Dragon Age-like, but I do happen to like that game. The first one.

Mentioning the horsemen of the apocalypse gave me the idea of either four custom demons, nightcreatures or megabeasts. I think they would be fun to make. War making dwarves berserk, Plague affecting everyone with with one of my diseases, Famine spawning little (friendly) critters (rats?) that drink/eat away you stockpiles, and Death being good plain old Death, jolly good fellow, liking cats and such.

Diseases/Plagues are already in the mod, 8 of them. None of them kills too many dwarves though, and I am still awaiting more feedback on them. You can immunize dwarves with wards, but these you can get only through trading, so a better solution would be needed. Maybe transforming dwarves temporarily into... some kind of doctor, I just envision these venician masked doctors that fought the medieval plagues. See Assassins Creed design as well. That would work. :)

I do like the Frost-Giant drop idea of "Frostbrand Metal". I would probably put it rather close to Adamantine, far above anything else the mod has, since it should be a reward for battling and killing the strongest enemy.

Construct itemcorpses to make new ones from dead ones makes sense. Turrets could drop a turret case, or a "badly damaged turret" that can be salvaged. I like the idea. Landmines however blow up, so no leftovers ;) Golems could probably drop their weapon (sword, hammer, spear)

Breeding special creatures for their itemdrops, rock-laying beetles/crabs and such is a splendid idea and will be added as a bigger industry next. They would inlcude grazer tags though, because giving away these creatures for free would be unbalanced. Dont know about the beetles yet, how they would work out, balancing-wise.

Red dye from blood, or more dyes in general I also like.

PS: I am German too, so dont worry about any english spelling you mess up ;)

####################################################
########    NEW IDEAS I GOT SO FAR ;)   ############
####################################################

- Optional flavour items.
 - Magma-only metal and/or items.
 - Breeding/Animal industry, giving special butchery items.
 - More dyes, starting with a blood-based dye.
 - Make different amounts of leather from differently sized creatures.
 - Add a hide-effect to landmines, so they are not killed by archers all the time.
 - Add some more weapon/armor tags to materials, for platinum hammers and gold armor.
 - More creative caste descriptions, without loosing the info of the short ones.
 - 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
 - Improve both diseases and methods to heal them. NEEDS MORE FEEDBACK FROM CURRENT ONES.
 - Frostbrand material made from dead Frost Giants.
 - Useful Turret/Golem itemcorpses.

- Season prepared meals to improve them. Unsure if this works.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »

Red dye from blood - wrong - blood will be brown or rusty color after it dries. Blood will never give you it's living red color after reprocessing (because hemoglobine breaks).

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

searching on google about dyeing with blood shows that aging blood will cause it to turn brown but if you add carbon monoxide it will turn bright red such as a smoker so make it require fuel for red or no fuel for brown :D
although there is that chance i have no idea what i'm talking about

what if there's both crabs and beetles
the crabs collect stones and drop them in the nest box.  then have lore stating the crabs attract a mate with the rock and die from the stress without it (starving)
then the beetles produce an exoskeleton of metal, possibly add trainable tag so males can be helpful.  what if the beetles don't grow and are the same size at birth just the females graze or 'scavenge' for metal and the clutch size is always the same but the males don't have the grazing tag although it's more robotic. i would expect them to be half or less than the size of a dwarf so that they're pretty much small tanks for battle, weakness being blunt weapons.  could they leave behind bars and a skinless carcass when they die?
as far as the grazing parts i myself would make it small like they require 1-3 squares of the stuff and make the grass they require look like metal/rock and a bit rare
maybe a workshop thing that feeds them? a melting rock that removes the grazing tag for a month or so, might be a bit difficult/not possible

i like the idea of growing stuff like cacti for spikes (maybe blowdart ammo) although it's flavor as you can already grow steel/iron from farming which can become spikes

what if you added featherwood back? light wood meant for hauling bins and the like.  from good areas and drops seeds when processed for farming?  might be to much for to little though..

maybe trees made of bone for evil underground, wood processed for bones

what about blood berries from evil areas? process like valley herb to golden salve but instead blood from berries

i saw there were devil trees/shrooms, what if there were mushroom/treant men in hell that dropped the seeds?

from what i've seen any weather that isn't rain or snow causes unhappy thoughts but easily ignorable
personally would enjoy seeing interactions such as no_sleep from good regions, would surprise a few though.  maybe an evil biome that removes blood from everything ;)

web landmines would be cool as usually you web an area for traps which may catch/kill dwarves and traders/diplomats which the web landmine would make that easier but i'd imagine that would be tough to make

what if you had a creature that had thread eggs? not sure what it would be to make sense.  what if you had silk moths, give them transformations so it was more realistic, larvae->immobile cocoon (butcher for thread)->moth which breeds high pop_ratio that secrete a rock that turns them into larvae to repeat

any chance you're accepting help btw? :P
cause i might* start posting with raws in spoilers on here
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »

Meph always likes help :P Saddly whenever I try to help he did it anyways :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »

Sure I accept help, I do it all the time ;)

Rock crabs and metal beetles ares possible, same goes for the rest you posted, blood berries... mh... I already have more evil/good plants and a little overhaul for the 3rd cavern in mind. btw, I can make cave beetles require to graze in the caverns, no problem, that would cause the necessary micromanagement that I was looking for. Thread eggs are possible as well, but I already have silkworms that you can put in hives like bees that produce silk. BUT again, I think people never use them, so your version would be easier.

Thanks for the info about red/brown blood dye, makes sense once I think about it.

I will do some science about web landmines, but I think they are possible. Same goes for ice landmines and an ice turret that does actual frost-bite damage.

PS: Dont feel bad hugo, you are one of the reasons the entire mod exists, without you, rephikul and deon I would have never managed to learn that much. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

idea

Disease that makes you 1000 years old and you die in your sleep,cure discover the cure to old age
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »

I don't think that that can be done. Even if you could age with a syndrome, the effect would take place on the target's next birthday.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »

hey meph, should i pm you about questions on what i mod? i want to mod hfs plant beasts, a workshop thing to feed animals nearby(maybe interaction for a dwarf to feed them or a ward/trough-like creature that feeds them?), plant industry stuff like cacti for spikes and crabs/beetles :P

what about a plant for chemistry like a pepper plant for landmines that cause a stun syndrome or a shroom that causes lcd type affects for a berserk inducing syndrome for landmines? for some "watch those orcs fight amongst themselves and laugh" moments ;)      might be an effective counter to frost giants though, would need some balance such as only forageable or long grow durations

what if that disease instead changes maxage to 10:10 and kills off at least half the adults xP
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »

- Break down wooden items back into wood.
These will help you meph

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All from Regeneration :P Remember I gave you full access to the raws  ;)

- Add a hide-effect to landmines, so they are not killed by archers all the time.

also

- How can I take extracts (venom, ichor, goo, slime, blood) away from caravans ?
I would say (in theory) remove [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL] from the material? Not sure, but if no solution make something where you can take different blood types. Merge them in a test tube, and try making spliced creatures (spawning) as new guard creatures. Fly blood and human blood to make the "human fly" that will guard the fortress.

Of course all possible combos would be quite a task to tackle. Unless someone would like to take on that task
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:27:32 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 08:24:26 pm »

@hugo: Thanks. I also had those lying around, with differnt amounts of scrap wood that is salvaged. :) I am horrible, I know.

@zach: If you want to start, start. You can PM me your findings, or post them here, or in the modthread, I will find it. Or even a new topic. I wont start with this, so dont worry about anything that might be done twice. The workshop will have to use transformation btw to get them from a grazing to a non-grazing animal, for a short time till their hunger stops. This is theory, and I hope it works.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »

You Fiend! :P im only kidding lol the very first post in masterwork was me giving you full reign anyways :P also donno if you saw my edits for my last post

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 09:04:38 pm »

Saw the edits now, and are noted down. :)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:58 am »

You mention glass weapons.  I happen to work for a factory that cuts & tempers glass.  Glass is incredibly sharp, but too brittle to be used as a melee weapon, though you could probably add menacing spikes of glass to a club to make it more effective.  I also see the potential for thrown weapons.  Given that I have experience dodging the long, thin trim pieces being thrown into our dumpsters, I can easily imagine it being dangerous.  Also, loaded into something like a stonefall trap, it would probably be highly effective.  People have died while carrying sheets of glass due to it cracking and cutting their necks open.  Ever see a 9ft x 12ft piece of glass fall off of a crane?  I have.  Not to mention occasions when the crane crashed into a pack or an entire pack of 9ft x 12ft sheets fell to the floor.  You could hear that from the other side of the building.  I'm just glad none of our guys have ever been hurt by that stuff.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14