Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92744 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #556 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:39 am »

Assyrian Christians crowdfund and army to fight ISIS
I'm not sure that the best thing to fight an army of angry religious fundamentalists is another army of angry religious fundamentalists. I hope this doesn't wind up as badly as I'm afraid it might  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2015, 07:35:54 am »

I'm not sure that the best thing to fight an army of angry religious fundamentalists is another army of angry religious fundamentalists. I hope this doesn't wind up as badly as I'm afraid it might  :-\
look at it this way. No matter who wins, the world will have fewer fanatics in it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:30 am »

Yup, looks like we're getting a crusade after all.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2015, 09:55:19 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure. On one hand, a group of motivated volunteers that fight for their own agenda, to "protect their ancestral homeland" has a great potential. I mean, any volunteer military group would usually fight stronger than a regular conscripts. On the other, the article above puts out some nice, important points - adding another ethnic minority militia to an already messy anti-ISIS coalition is problematic and there also seems to be some bad blood between Kurds and Assyrians, to name just two.

Ideally, anti-ISIS fight would be something that unites the warring factions of the past. Ideally, this situation would be used to in fact bury the old grudges, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all that.  And in some cases, this DID happen. But it does complicate things. So in theory, I welcome creations of such militias... BUT the "help" that is provided to them should not in any case be limited just to arms supply/training. More engagement is needed, lest we end up with another Libya.

Now, one actual KS project that caught my eye:
Legendary Showdown: Machines and Magic
So to my knowledge there are some people who know both the Doctor McNinja and Gunnerkrig Court webcomics. A while ago, people from the former created a card game, "Legendary Showdown". Never played it, does sound neat. What is even better - now they created an expansion/standalone, featuring Gunnerkrig. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Haven't seen much talk about it, but there's also a pretty damn cool steampunk-ish webcomic called Girl Genious. And yeah, you've guest it, this new game has both of them in. So, if you have the first game, the final product will include but will not be limited to (doctor) Ninjas, mad scientist, majics and (cork) robots.

SO yeah, lots of cool stuff. I haven't even read the whole KS page, too busy throwing money at it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:59 am »

They're men fighting for their homeland, for their families, for their wives and children. Not extremists. Nobody protected them in the past, so they take matters into their own hands - it's a good and honorable thing, a decision that deserves our support.
And remember that the Iraqi central state is basically a crapshot regardless of who's in charge: Grassroot (well, sort-of grassroot) militias and regional administrations, regional centers of power backed - and controlled! - by the populace may offer a way to one day create an actual working state in Iraq.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »

Yes Helgoland but you don't understand.

They are religious, that means they are religious extremists!

That means they want to genocide everyone!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 28, 2015, 06:53:05 pm »

They're men fighting for their homeland, for their families, for their wives and children. Not extremists. Nobody protected them in the past, so they take matters into their own hands - it's a good and honorable thing, a decision that deserves our support.
And remember that the Iraqi central state is basically a crapshot regardless of who's in charge: Grassroot (well, sort-of grassroot) militias and regional administrations, regional centers of power backed - and controlled! - by the populace may offer a way to one day create an actual working state in Iraq.
They are that for now. I'm just worried about what might happen after IS/ISIS/ISIL gets driven out. Will they become just as extreme? What if they begin turning their guns on all Muslims instead of just the ones they are currently fighting?

Obviously there are non-extremist religious people and obviously I hope this turns out for the best and possibly even helps stabilize Iraq. I just don't have high hopes for that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:07 pm »

*Angry secular tribesmen

Not saying they're any less capable of atrocities, but the proposed force isn't actually religious in nature, just a collection of non-muslim tribespeople from the Nineveh plains.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2015, 03:33:03 pm »

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:40:41 pm by MorleyDev »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »

But it is not lubricated.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2015, 03:42:08 pm »

But it is not lubricated.

Correct sir, lubrication would be most unfitting for ocular protection. Why, the very notion that one could make some kind of typo-related misdemeanour and put that word in that sentence is inconceivable, inconceivable I say!

Wow, it really is very difficult to stop typing like that once you start.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2015, 05:00:03 pm »

Dear sir, lubricated or not, we must but surely agree nonetheless that such devices are a mandatory device for any gentleman of honor who wishes to engage in some jolly good time with one's organ.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:15 am »

Dear sir, lubricated or not, we must but surely agree nonetheless that such devices are a mandatory device for any gentleman of honor who wishes to engage in some jolly good time with one's organ.

Splendidly well done, sir.  ^..^ƪ

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 23, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

Wait, are we saying that's a kickstarter done right?  Really?  Fucking really?

Spoiler: This was my reaction (click to show/hide)
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46