Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game  (Read 36833 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:44 am »

Hmm...upon evaluating it, it seems like a good idea.  This may be the only chance some peasants may have to raise their social status.  Prove their martial skill, earn a position above even our trained militia, as our retainer.  Maybe, if the person in our retainer achieves great skill and victory, knighthood. 

And yeah, let's provide weapons to the penniless peasants/serfs. 

*While you were typing a new reply has been posted*

Okay, the farming aspect may be bad...how about for just a few able-bodied young men?  Even if they take time away from farming, it won't impact the economy as much, if at all. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2012, 03:33:05 pm »

May I also suggest encouraging all the peasants to do some sort of martial practice? Maybe a regular archery or sparring competition? They'll then do it in their free time and they'll be slowly training in case we need to levy them. Of course, we'll need to provide a prize for the winner, and possibly bows for them. Although if it's just a competition they should be able to provide their own.
+1
I actually suggested this a while back. Obviously, in the busy times like planting and harvest we should scale it back, but when there's free time I think that competitive martial practice instead of lounging about drinking or doing nothing can only be a good thing. Plus, it'll help identify any particularly promising recruits.   

Have the spearmen go catch a bear for baiting? And a boar for feasting?
+3
Maybe we should ride out with them. After all, a feudal lord who doesn't like hunting is like a priest who doesn't like praying.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

Maybe we should ride out with them. After all, a feudal lord who doesn't like hunting is like a priest who doesn't like praying.

+ 1 million

Catch us some bear

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

+3
+1 Speaking about priests, maybe we should allow him to have his say in the proceedings. That should please him.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »

+3
+1 Speaking about priests, maybe we should allow him to have his say in the proceedings. That should please him.
Also when the leige gets here and has finished eating and resting and feasting go out hunting with him again. That would be a good time to suck up to him. You know saying things like "my leige you are such a good hunter" etc.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »

+3
Also when the leige gets here and has finished eating and resting and feasting go out hunting with him again. That would be a good time to suck up to him. You know saying things like "my leige you are such a good hunter" etc.
Arrange a hunting accident. Nah just kidding. Maybe we should check before we invite him to that though. If he's a bad hunter/old/ sickly we shouldn't propose this.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »

+3
Arrange a hunting accident. Nah just kidding. Maybe we should check before we invite him to that though. If he's a bad hunter/old/ sickly we shouldn't propose this.

Or even worse, a fop who's never swung a blade in anger in his life. Btw, what exactly is our combat history? IIRC we were originally a third son or some such who inherited our lands from a distant relative, I reckon we might have seen a bit of action. After all, we seem to have some pretty decent gear and there aren't many other ways for non-heirs to move up in the world. We don't seem to have any priestly or scholarly training. Is our line truly extinct apart from us or do we have any relatives left we might call on for an alliance?   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2012, 05:31:03 am »

Actually, I leave those thing up to you to decide. About your own history/relatives. Ofcurse, having a lot of relatives is as much a burden as it is an asset. Right now you are pretty combat focused indeed.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:36 am »

It would seem, given our equipment, that we were trained as a knight. Probably fought in a few land disputes for our former lord, but as we are 23, not too many. Had a few tournament fights too. Sound good?

Now if it were up to me, I'd say we are an excellent fighter and natural leader, but I understand that may be a but OP. I'd prefer leadership skills to combat skills, personally.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 02:42:31 pm »

do we have a coat of arms? :D?

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:35 pm »

Well, if anyone wanted to design one they are welcomed to! Sorry for no update btw, comming tomorrow. Lots and lots of stuff to do in the scary thing called real life.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

It would seem, given our equipment, that we were trained as a knight. Probably fought in a few land disputes for our former lord, but as we are 23, not too many. Had a few tournament fights too. Sound good?

Now if it were up to me, I'd say we are an excellent fighter and natural leader, but I understand that may be a but OP. I'd prefer leadership skills to combat skills, personally.

+1 Although I think it would be OP if we were all "We make Julius Caesar look a pussy who couldn't organize his way out of a paper bag", I don't have a problem with fighting and leadership being our main strengths. After all, we're clearly trained as a knight (I agree with your outline of our past fighting experience, seems reasonable). And we've clearly shown great care and concern for our loyal subjects. This is one of the more important foundations for leadership (that or seeming like you care). I think we should have had maybe one real victory under our belt. As a suggestion, how about just before we inherited our land we led a small force for our liege to destroy a group of mountain bandits? Say 35 men-at-arms + us vs 50ish bandits and we personally broke their shield wall (that is, we killed someone directly in front of us, stepped forward and therefore disrupted their line and broke them)?

With regard to a coat of arms, I suggest Un calmar géant poignardé un dragon au visage avec une épée sur un champ violet. In English, A giant squid stabbing a dragon in the face with a sword on a purple field. Sadly, I lack the necessary engraving skill to produce such an image.

Well, if anyone wanted to design one they are welcomed to! Sorry for no update btw, comming tomorrow. Lots and lots of stuff to do in the scary thing called real life.

Don't worry about it. Real life can be a harsh mistress as we all know only too well. You've been a great GM so far, especially considering that this is your first time and we've all been a little keen to discuss the exact details of... well, basically everything. Three cheers for our (meta? thread?)liege, Evil Marahadja!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:38:08 pm by Wayward Device »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »

+1 to all that Wayward said.

Also cheers to Evil Marahadja! Fun game.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »

you can't just go up to people and get laid.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 02:04:16 am »

+2
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16