Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game  (Read 36736 times)

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:39 am »

Yes, this will be my first try to create a suggestion game here on bay12! You will take the role of a young inexperienced rather poor nobleman in his quest for power and glory. The game will be set in the early medieval period and you will start with an small estate of your choice.

The game will then progress rather fast, sometimes by days, otherdays by mouths and years. You will have to marry the right people, establish contacts, keep your family close, develop your estate, and maybe your family name will flourish!  The world, Akrylia, is a semi fantasy world where other races than humans are rare. And few people have seen magic. But without any further delay, lets create our champion!

Name:
(Your surname is especially important, since that will follow you through generations)
Description:  How does he look?
Estate location: Will determine what kind of estate you will be given. Do you want an estate near the wilderness, or closer to  the civilisation? Near a river? A mountain?
Estate name: Rather obvious.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:10:28 am by Evil Marahadja »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:18 am »

Reginald Dumac

Plain, average build, one eye blue, the other, red

Estate is near civilization

Estate Name: Fuerza
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:39:19 am »

Reginald Dumac

Plain, average build, one eye blue, the other, red

Estate is near civilization

Estate Name: Fuerza
Fine, though I want the estate to be near a river too, optimally with a crossing or bridge on our estate. (And not much other bridges/crossing nearby).

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:20 am »

Hmm...perhaps a defensible position is best.

Side with 10ebbor10
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:54 am »

Yes, on a hill with fertile land.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:41:14 am »

Your name is Sir Reginald Dumac, Baronet of the estate Fuerza. You are 23 years old. You gained the title and land from an rather distant relative of yours, as you were the closest ancestor. Your family name is on the edge of extinction, and you are the last descendant you know of. But you are an ambitious man, and with skill, knowledge and a fair share of luck, your family might prosper again.

Your estate, Fuerza is a small village approximate to one of the larger rivers in the area. You do not own much land, since you are close to the larger cities. But the land you own are cultivated and provide a decent yield every year. The village have a population of around 100 people, and you have 200 subjects in total. The population is obliged to give you one tenth of their yield to you.

Most of your income is therefore food. Although if you follow your village downstream you have Narsis, a shorecity. Because of this, you also get some tradeincome. Although its not all good, sometimes raiders sail from the river upstream, plundering everything in their way. Your estate have no defence, and would be slaughtered if they decided to attack.

So, what is your first move?

Name: Sir Reginald Dumac
Title: Baronet (Obliged to serve Baron Amroth Elnesar, and join his call of arms)
Ownings: A large house in Fuerza, a horse and battle equipment worthy of a knight. 200 gold coins.

Military strength: Yourself, you are actually quite a formidable foe. And 65 ablebodied but untrained and unarmed villagers. 
Fuerza

Your yearly yield: 100 goldcoins (from trade), food (250 gold coins if sold at a optimal price) 
Notable buildings:
Church (Represent the religions interests in the area.)
Other: Pays one tenth of its total income to the church, and one tenth to Amroth Elnesar.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:31:36 pm by Evil Marahadja »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:46:44 am »

The most simple thing would be to make a harbour chain downstream, and ask the baron to send his men to operate and protect it. Or give us the resources and men to ptrotectt (A king is obliged to protect his vazals, as this is the basis of the feudal system). However we most like can't afford that and he wouldn't listen to us anyway..

I think we should have the villagers build a small dock. More trade income and travellers, and it allows us to ship food to the city(WHere we will get better prices).

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:49:09 am »

I think we should have the villagers build a small dock. More trade income and travellers, and it allows us to ship food to the city(WHere we will get better prices).

+1.  More income, the better. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:49 am »

1) Invest 10% (30 barrels) of food annually into parties and handouts to the peasants. Keep them well fed and happy. Engender loyalty, and attract a larger workforce.

2) Offer a voluntary work program to up to 5 (for now) peasants to become skilled tradesmen to work at our discretion. The deal is that they will still be serfs, will still work at our direct command, but they will work as ordered for us personally and not be required to pay any sort of food taxes.

Engage this workforce in useful construction projects: roads, wells, fishing boats, public housing, and a perimeter defense wall.

3) Create a voluntary militia of up to 5 (for now) peasants using basically the same deal: they'e still serfs, but we're simply employing them in a guard/militia/military capacity

Subject this militia to regular physical fitness drills and begin training them in combat.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:02:28 am »

I recommend we have some people start quarrying stone outside. Also, trade for some copper weapons and mercs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:10 am »

1) Invest 10% (30 barrels) of food annually into parties and handouts to the peasants. Keep them well fed and happy. Engender loyalty, and attract a larger workforce.

2) Offer a voluntary work program to up to 5 (for now) peasants to become skilled tradesmen to work at our discretion. The deal is that they will still be serfs, will still work at our direct command, but they will work as ordered for us personally and not be required to pay any sort of food taxes.

Engage this workforce in useful construction projects: roads, wells, fishing boats, public housing, and a perimeter defense wall.

3) Create a voluntary militia of up to 5 (for now) peasants using basically the same deal: they'e still serfs, but we're simply employing them in a guard/militia/military capacity

Subject this militia to regular physical fitness drills and begin training them in combat.
1) Agreed. I also think we should build up a (hidden) stock for use in emergencies. The granted food can come out of this stock to keep the stock fresh.
2)Things to build: Small Dock, Granary, Fishing boats Chain across the river  (We don't have the manpower to hold a (wooden) wall, the best we can hope for is to escape by boat.
3) We can use these to enforce justice and settle disputes when we're not here to. Make sure there are some resputable men in there. More lawkeeping rather then fighting force. Aside from combat training, have them pay attention( honour guard) when you settle disputes in the village.

I recommend we have some people start quarrying stone outside. Also, trade for some copper weapons and mercs.
Alluvial(river) plains mean fertile ground, but no stone most of the time. I don't think we have enough money to buy weapons or hire mercenaries . Certainly not mercenaries.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:10 am »

Lumber plantations then. Also, keep all of your tax revenue in storage.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:29 am »

The village have a population of around 100 people, and you have 200 subjects in total.

65 ablebodied but untrained and unarmed villagers. 

Marahadja, would you clarify the population a bit? Who are the 100 subjects who aren't villagers? Do we have half our subjects living in cottages in the woods? Why 100 people in the village, but only 65 ablebodied? Are those 35 children and elderly? Are they our personal family and court ladies?

Better population breakdown, please.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:13:16 am »

1) Agreed. I also think we should build up a (hidden) stock for use in emergencies. The granted food can come out of this stock to keep the stock fresh.
2)Things to build: Small Dock, Granary, Fishing boats Chain across the river  (We don't have the manpower to hold a (wooden) wall, the best we can hope for is to escape by boat.
3) We can use these to enforce justice and settle disputes when we're not here to. Make sure there are some resputable men in there. More lawkeeping rather then fighting force. Aside from combat training, have them pay attention( honour guard) when you settle disputes in the village.

Alluvial(river) plains mean fertile ground, but no stone most of the time. I don't think we have enough money to buy weapons or hire mercenaries . Certainly not mercenaries.

This, though I would argue that a small militia would fill both defensive and peacekeeping roles. The granary (and food preservation in general) should be something to accomplish at the very least before we take in the last harvest of the year, as we will want to preserve and store most of the taxed food. This will allow us to provide food for families on the brink of starvation towards the end of winter, which will engender loyalty while also giving us a reason to encourage them to work harder (for their own good, of course).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:03 am »

Create a hidden stash where you store some food somewhere away from the village so that if it gets raided the people won't starve to death immediately.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16