Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188223 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Beta this weekend! Server: Sea of Sorrows - US
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2012, 06:37:51 am »

I've been playing a closed beta/press build for a while in addition to the BWEs and while I think the game is great, it is missing one element as far I am concerned. This is not a pick up and play to kill a few minutes game like the first was. It's a minor complaint on an otherwise great game, but I have less and less game time available and these long quest grind games make it hard on me. Perhaps I am just playing it wrong at this point, which may indeed be valid.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

Just had my first decent go of 5V5 and is it just me or are mesmers fucking ridiculous? Constant healing, status effects, greatsword wielding, multiple persist-after-death copies of themselves bastards! (I'm just annoyed because they're so whippety and hard to kill)

I do think theives are seriously broken though. Just played with one who was impossible to kill. Every time he went down he seemed to have an ability that could put him into stealth, teleport him a fair distance, and was ready to use as soon as he reappeared. Even with my warriors frenzy skill (+100% attack speed) I couldn't finish him off. At one point there were three of us just solely trying to finish him off to no avail.

I'd also not seen any of the cash shop stuff before due to missing the last BWE, so had a play around with some of it. The transmutation stone is awesome. The minis would be awesome if you could make them fight, but I'm glad you can't because that'd be the end of all my money. Generally they seem like the exact sort of cash shop items I like: purely cosmetic and fun, but with enough effort put into them to make it worthwhile. The only one I don't like is the extra bank space one, and only because I don't know if you can get that ingame or not? If it's a cash shop only one then that sucks.

Other than that the game is running much smoother in PVE. WvW is allright untill you get 20+ players on the screen then it's a slideshow. Though that's probobly more a deficiency with my computer than anything else.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2012, 09:17:28 pm »

The thing is you can get everything in the cash shop ingame, just trade your ingame currency for gems.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:45 am »

When is this game going to be released?

migod

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2012, 02:10:49 am »

The thing is you can get everything in the cash shop ingame, just trade your ingame currency for gems.
Trouble is that in every MMO I've seen where there's a cash currency that's exchanged for an gold you get constant deflation of the cash currency. Right now gems are pretty cheap, but when the game is released gems may rapidly start being worth very large amounts of money. There are ways to avoid deflation happening, but most MMO's actually want their cash currency to be heavily deflated because it encourages people to shell out more money.

I'm worried the gold for gems thing will break the game if they're not careful about it. Of course, they might already be planning how to deal with this, but I'm worried, I think they haven't really thought their in-game economy out very well... or they might just not care.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2012, 09:44:46 am »

My goodness WvW is so terrible.
How so? Was going to get into that today and tomorrow. I only had a chance to do it for a brief time during the last BWE.

Might be talking about how one sided it ended up being most of the time this BWE.  I don't know for certain about the other matchups but Jade Quarry absolutely dominated against Yak's bend and...and... some server name that started with an M...  And I heard it was the same just about everywhere.

That and the range extension for siege weapons broke some of the balance in certain places of the map.  In the borderlands for example it is currently possible to shell ascension keep from within the keep north of the lake with a treb, but ascention keep can't fire back because it is higher ground.

It's also possible to treb the keeps north of the invader spawns in the borderlands from within the protection range of the legendary NPCs at those spawns.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:13 am »

My goodness WvW is so terrible.
How so? Was going to get into that today and tomorrow. I only had a chance to do it for a brief time during the last BWE.

Might be talking about how one sided it ended up being most of the time this BWE.  I don't know for certain about the other matchups but Jade Quarry absolutely dominated against Yak's bend and...and... some server name that started with an M...  And I heard it was the same just about everywhere.
That will probably be fixed by the server ranking system they have, everyday after the first my server (Darkhaven) was matched up another server that ended up being very competitive, and in the full game it will probably be even more balanced after a few weeks.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:47 am »

I know that on Friday and Saturday, my server was easily dominating smaller servers by ridiculous margins. On Sunday it was a very good fight, though. Very good.

I think the first few days of release will be terrible for WvW balance, but it'll probably clear up after a few rotations.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

I know Darkhaven was a mess in previous weekends and was very even this past one as Hugehead said. It doesn't seem like there's any way to predict which servers people are going to end up or how to match servers up at the beginning in WvW, so of course it's going to start a little out of whack. It's interesting that they changed the server matchups day-to-day this past weekend, though, so that could be a good way for them to get closer to competitive matchups sooner after release.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2012, 05:20:18 pm »

Next stress test: June 27, 2012.
Quote from: ArenaNet
We were very pleased with how our servers performed during our second Beta Weekend Event, but we want to gather additional data on how they operate under load before the next one.
That’s where you come in.
All players who have pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 are invited to participate in our upcoming stress test. This four-hour test event will run on Wednesday, June 27th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).
We won’t wipe characters for this event, so if you played in our previous betas, you can pick up right where you left off. All we need you to do is log in and have fun—leave the stress to us!

From Twitter:
Quote from: @GuildWars2
For those who asked: It will be the same build as last Beta Event, including the final event. ^MK

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »

From Twitter:
Quote from: @GuildWars2
For those who asked: It will be the same build as last Beta Event, including the final event. ^MK

I missed the last one (busy losing money in Vegas... ;_;); did it end with another hunt for random creatures like the first one?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:47 pm »

I heard there was a dragon.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2012, 09:14:19 pm »

I always miss the end of beta events because it's like 7am or something here when they do it. :(

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »

I'll put the last BWE event in spoilers in case anyone wants to be surprised. I will say that some servers didn't get to do it (the timing of the event was a problem: the script to begin the finale event failed to start, but the script to end the beta weekend worked fine).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2012, 12:37:00 pm »

There is a release date.

http://www.arena.net/blog/announcing-the-guild-wars-2-launch-date

Aug 28th 2012

and the last BWE will be July 20-22.

I was expecting December.  This is good news!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 86