Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552861 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3435 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:56 am »

Roll the dough again and make more doughnuts from it.

Also doughnut holes.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 12, 2016, 10:04:40 am »

So I replaced half the water in my rice with chicken broth and added some tomato juice.

It didn't change the flavor too much but after adding black pepper, garlic salt, and some chopped up spam it tasted better than just using normal rice
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:32 am »

Well it's not longer just rice at that point :V

But yeah, when cooking rice, depending on what you want it for, adding a chicken/beef/veggie cube to it makes a lot of difference in how nice it tastes on its own.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:20 am »

It didn't really taste much different by itself

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »

I'm a great fan of replacing some of the water with coconut milk and adding a goodly chunk of ginger into the rice. Super simple, adds so damn much flavour.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: April 13, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »

I'm a great fan of replacing some of the water with coconut milk and adding a goodly chunk of ginger into the rice. Super simple, adds so damn much flavour.
And congratulations, you just made asian coconut rice :p
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »

That sounds good

I discovered something a couple days ago, adding 1/2 or 1 table spoon (I haven't a clue how many mL) of pure vanilla extract to coffee makes it taste like heaven

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 14, 2016, 05:59:31 am »

Just cooked myself some mashed potatoes, and they turned out great!
Mostly just your standard recipe, with salt, pepper, butter and milk, the only other thing I added was a clove of garlic (and a couple of accidental hairs, but I was cooking it for myself so that's okay). Very nice! And it didn't take long to make, either! I got the consistency right pretty quickly.

Certainly went better than the one other time I tried making mashed potatoes on my own.
Now I have some leftovers, might eat some later if I feel hungry again. Either way I'll definitely have some on toast in the morning- mashed potato with Vegemite on toast is amazing. ^-^
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: April 14, 2016, 06:18:58 am »

Mashed potato. On toast. Yoink confirmed for Ukrainian, official birthplace be damned.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: April 14, 2016, 06:32:11 am »

You don't use nutmeg in mashed potatoes?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: April 14, 2016, 06:54:06 am »

Made a tomato chicken pasta last night, pretty happy with the result. Few steps involved, though overall it's pretty fast; took me about 30 mins from knives out to chow down.

2-3 servings, depending on appetite
Ingredients

Pangrattato
2 cloves of garlic,
2-3 sundried tomatoes,
3-4 kalamata olives (pitted)
1 tsp of herbs of choice (I used thyme, but honestly, I think rosemary would have worked better)
Some black pepper
Breadcrumbs
Extra virgin olive oil

Main Dish
2-300g chicken breast, diced
5-6 sundried tomatoes, sliced into strips
~10 olives (pitted, halved)
1/2 Onion, sliced
Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Salt + Pepper
Basil leaves and cheese as garnish (I only had cheddar, but I expect both parmesan and a sharp greek feta would work well, in different ways)
Penne pasta

Method
Mix chicken, pepper and EVOO (I used the oil from the jar of tomatoes, so it had some flavouring); some fresh rosemary here probably wouldn't hurt either, come to think of it.

Next, blend all the ingredients of the pangrattato in a food processor, starting without the breadcrumbs and EVOO; once ingredients are blended finely, add these in slowly. Desired texture is distinct breadcrumbs, but with enough moisture to hold if squeezed tightly together.
Fry this mixture off in a skillet under aromatic and just starting to toast, then put to one side.

Put penne pasta on to boil (remember to salt, and a bayleaf doesn't hurt, but it's hardly necessary). It should be done around the same time as your finishing up.

Next, caramelise onion; cook till brown in some EVOO, then deglase pan with balsamic (and maybe some water, if there's too much pan to deglase without the vinegar getting overpowering) and add the brown sugar. Continue cooking and occasionally deglasing if necessary until onions are sweet and caramelly, add the olives and tomatoes and cook for five more minutes, then scrape out as best you can and put aside.

Heat skillet to roaring hot, then fry off the chicken a handful at a time. Move it constantly and don't overcook it; you want it brown on the outside, but still juicy and tender on the inside. Take each batch out as it's done.

Kill the heat to the pan, then through in a tablespoon or so of the pasta water, along with all the cooked chicken, pasta, and about 3/4s of the pangrattato. Stir thoroughly, then plate up. Garnish with basil, cheese and remaining pannograttato, and enjoy!

It worked really well, still tasted amazing at work the next day (even sans cheese) and, given the flavours, could easily be made vegetarian or even vegan by substituting in eggplant for the chicken!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: April 15, 2016, 02:12:16 am »

I made a fuckload of beany chili.

Like, a fuckload.

Three large onions, two green capsicums, half a small bunch of celery, three cobs worth of sweetcorn, an entire head of garlic.

Four chorizos (500g, this is spanish chorizo, not mexican, so it's a cured whole sausage that I diced, not a sorta raw spiced ground meat thing.)
1kg beef mince.

Maybe 800g of dried black beans?

Cumin, coriander, preferably whole
Various forms of chilli (i had chipotle powder, red chilli flakes and some cayenne)
Oregano (dried)
Black pepper
Fuckloads of smoked sweet paprika
Salt (significant quantities)
Apple cider vinegar (fairly significant quantities)

Dice up the chorizos into small chunks (maybe black bean sized, like an 8mm dice?)
Put them into a dry stewpot with heat on lowish to render out fat while you chop vegetables, if necessary add water periodically to keep it from burning down and to promote rendering.
Dice all the vegetables to similar sizes, take the corn off the cobs if they're not already decobbed
Remove chorizo with slotted spoon, leaving the accumulated fat, turn heat to high. add beef to brown, with like half a teaspoon of salt.

Smash spices & herbs in mortar and pestle (ideally the cumin, coriander and black pepper are whole seeds rather than powder) going from coarsest thing (peppercorns), smashing them to approximate texture of next coarsest thing (cumin and coriander seeds) then repeating till one gets to the powdered spices

Toss the spice mix onto the beef, stri it in, let it sizzle a bit, remove it to the same bowl as the chorizo.

Add oil to pan if necessary (depending on how much free fat there was left after the spices soaked it up), saute vegetables with salt (like a teaspoon or so, it promote moisture loss & therefore softening). Once things are sorta softened and translucent add garlic, cook it for about a minute till it gets fragrant.

At this point I had to switch into a bigger pot; like I said, this is a fuckload of beany chili.

Add meat and vegetables to whatever pot you're actually using, along with quite a lot of water. Add beans. Make sure beans are as submerged as possible given the pot you're using (I had maybe a couple centimetres or free space above my solid components at the beginning of my simmer, and this was in a big ol' stockpot). Simmer for like, 90 minutes, stirring periodically (I went and watched a movie and came back every scene or so). Once your beans are soft (like, pleasant to eat, not just softened) add salt and apple cider vinegar to taste (you're probably going to need a lot; beans take up salt like no tomorrow and there's a lot of richness in the starch of the beans and the fat of the meats to cut through with the acidity of the vinegar; I added like three teaspoons of salt and maybe like a quarter to a third of a cup of vinegar at this point, for a sense of scale.

Eat it with rice and cheese.

I've had like four bowls of chili at this point, there was still maybe two thirds or three quarters of the pot left. I've frozen a lot of it, and the rest is in the fridge.

It's gonna be a beany couple weeks.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: April 15, 2016, 06:32:18 am »

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »

Making marinated mahi-mahi with a caper-saffron aioli (was originally just a caper aioli but my SO gave me like $20 worth of saffron threads several months and I haven't found a use for them yet, so fuck it -- this aioli is getting CLASSY).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:16 pm »

-.- I haven't had Mahi in years
I envy you!
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 334