Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552836 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3450 on: April 17, 2016, 10:42:19 pm »

You don't use nutmeg in mashed potatoes?
I've never tried it. Doesn't sound like it'd work too well, but I shall withhold judgement until I have.
Next time I make some, maybe. I still have potatoes left over! Hopefully they haven't gone off by now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:31 am »

I've never tried it. Doesn't sound like it'd work too well, but I shall withhold judgement until I have.
Next time I make some, maybe. I still have potatoes left over! Hopefully they haven't gone off by now.

It's funny, I can't imagine mashed potatoes without nutmeg. They're just part of the dish.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3452 on: April 18, 2016, 09:30:34 am »

It's funny, I can't imagine mashed potatoes without nutmeg. They're just part of the dish.

Very interesting. I've never heard of anyone using nutmeg to make mashed potatoes. Sounds like it would totally change the flavor.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: April 18, 2016, 10:15:21 am »

Not so much change as add to it. I definitely recommend you try.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: April 18, 2016, 10:43:05 am »

Would nutmeg in the potatoes go well with cheese? I usually like to put a lot of cheese in my mashed potatoes.

Also, a week or two ago I made pikelets again!

Reudh recommended the lemon thing and it was really tasty. This will probably be my default pikelet topping in the future.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3455 on: April 18, 2016, 01:51:48 pm »

Very interesting indeed... I'm lactose intolerant, so unless I happen to have some lactose-free milk handy (which is not often) I just make mashed potatoes with potatoes and butter. Sometimes a pinch of salt, but often that's not necessary, especially if I'm eating it with something with some kind of sauce. Everyone always complains that my potatoes don't have any flavor, but my response is that they're murdering their tastebuds by pouring salt all over everything they eat. They have plenty of flavor to me. They taste like potatoes and butter. Yum!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: April 18, 2016, 11:06:10 pm »

Oh man, I just ate a big bowl of pasta, sauce and beans (my first one in a while) along with a cup of tea (my first one in a while) and now I feel like sleeping all day.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: April 21, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »

Pressure cooker'd pork roast with (unfiltered) apple juice instead of water!

Verdict: Holy shitballs. I may have developed a spontaneous psychological addiction. It's very hard right now to stop myself from sitting down and consuming all ~4 pounds of this roast, before anyone else tastes it.

Will be doing this again, oh gods. It's bloody close to perfect; the texture is amazing, the tenderness is just right, and that flavor of delicious apple that suffuses the entire thing is just enthralling. Normally I add sauce of some sort to meat like this but this time it's just too good and I can't stop long enough to put anything on it because it needs to be in my mouth ;_;

And the cooking process was silly easy, just sticking the juice and the meat into the cooker and turning it on, no other steps. Was a little on the expensive side (the roast was ~10 USD for ~4 pounds, which is fairly hefty, and the delicious juice was like... four bucks, I think, for the whole container of it, which I didn't use up by any means), but damn. Worth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: April 21, 2016, 03:45:30 pm »

Pressure cooker'd pork roast with (unfiltered) apple juice instead of water!

Verdict: Holy shitballs. I may have developed a spontaneous psychological addiction. It's very hard right now to stop myself from sitting down and consuming all ~4 pounds of this roast, before anyone else tastes it.

Will be doing this again, oh gods. It's bloody close to perfect; the texture is amazing, the tenderness is just right, and that flavor of delicious apple that suffuses the entire thing is just enthralling. Normally I add sauce of some sort to meat like this but this time it's just too good and I can't stop long enough to put anything on it because it needs to be in my mouth ;_;

And the cooking process was silly easy, just sticking the juice and the meat into the cooker and turning it on, no other steps. Was a little on the expensive side (the roast was ~10 USD for ~4 pounds, which is fairly hefty, and the delicious juice was like... four bucks, I think, for the whole container of it, which I didn't use up by any means), but damn. Worth.

Gosh, meat is so cheap in the US.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: April 21, 2016, 04:22:37 pm »

*waggles hand* ~2.50 a pound isn't that bad, really, it's just that my normal meals clock in cost wise at something like two fifty flat on the high end, so it's relatively expensive. And delicious.

Though yeah, food costs are often pretty decent in the US, especially in smaller areas. Depends on the product, obviously enough, but there's usually something pretty generous in terms of a cost and quality balance. This was... probably about midrange for that sort of meat? Not rock bottom, but not high-end of the low-end (i.e. common grocery store) stuff, either. Could have got it cheaper, is what I'm saying.

In any case, cost aside, it was pretty amazing. Just have to figure out where to go from here... won't lie, I'm probably going to stick cinnamon in with the apple juice the next time I do this, hehehe.
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: April 21, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

That's a slippery slope Frumple, next thing you'll know you'll be making what is essentially apple pie with a bit of meat thrown in :P

But as far as suggestions go, not for the meat itself, but what would go great with that is if you cooked some noodles, drained them, then tossed them a few times in the juices left over from the meat (tho there might be too much depending on how much apple juice you used, but I guess you just toss them a bit longer so most of the liquid evaporates). My mom does this with regular beef cuts, as in, just a big chunk of beef, bone and fat and all that's salted and peppered and then cooked in a pan with a bit of water added every now and then, for several hours. And both the meat and the noodles are freaking amazing, no frills, just pure awesome meat taste.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: April 21, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »

Probably more meat with apple pie thrown in, but... yeah. I don't see what's wrong with that outcome :P

Honestly, those smaller apple pies, like you eat one-handed and fit in a small box... I could see that. Some sort of apple and meat pastry/hotpocket. Probably hand cooked because that coming from a freezer box or over a fastfood counter sounds goddamn terrifying.

Though really, if I were going that route, I'd probably make the apples separate from the rest of them and just slice 'em and put 'em in uncooked, so they're still nice and crunchy. Make sandwiches, basically. Or fruit and meat stuffed rolls, more like -- your average apple is kinda' perfectly sized for a dinner roll or biscuit or whathaveyou. Slice layers instead of section, lay it out like cheese slices over the meat. Kinda' tempting. Or a cinnamon roll with meat slices inside the circle-y bits. Something like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3462 on: April 23, 2016, 06:28:40 am »

Saw some tamarind candy for sale in my local Vietnamese-owned food market and it looked interesting. I've never tried tamarind before, and it wasn't expensive, so I grabbed a package of it.

I think I can safely say this is the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. It somehow manages simultaneously to be far too salty AND far too sweet, with a large heaping of bitter to round it out. Dear lord, who actually eats this stuff? Now I have to find someone to pawn it off on...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:36 am »

I had some a while back and it wasn't too bad. Not something I'm too interested in trying again, though. Like salty raisins with big ass seeds in the middle. I don't remember it being particularly bitter, except when I tried to eat a seed but that was kind of my fault.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:00:15 am by penguinofhonor »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: April 23, 2016, 09:09:46 am »

Saw some tamarind candy for sale in my local Vietnamese-owned food market and it looked interesting. I've never tried tamarind before, and it wasn't expensive, so I grabbed a package of it.

I think I can safely say this is the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. It somehow manages simultaneously to be far too salty AND far too sweet, with a large heaping of bitter to round it out. Dear lord, who actually eats this stuff? Now I have to find someone to pawn it off on...

That's interesting, because my experience of tamarind was just the raw fruit itself and all I remember was that it was sour as all hell.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 334