Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553028 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3240 on: January 30, 2016, 08:39:05 pm »

Mmm. Just had some naan with a super-thin layer of lamb inside, mixed with an uncertain selection of herbs. I should really figure out how to make that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 30, 2016, 09:07:47 pm »

I just ate a slice of toast.
Now, this may not sound too inventive, but I have a newly-developed special method for preparing toast. Rather than just covering the whole slice with butter/margarine and then Vegemite, I coat the whole thing in margarine and then one half in Vegemite. Then, cut it in half and you get two radically different toast-eating experiences from the same slice of bread! Genius!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:18 pm »

Knit Tie, I would love a recipe for that marinara. Barbecue-esque pasta sounds great.

Also, I haven't posted much in here for a while, so let's fix that.

Spoiler: vegetarian borscht (click to show/hide)
recipe

Here's the borscht I was asking about a while back. It was good! I'd never eaten borscht or cooked with beets before so I'm glad it turned out well. I will probably make it again some chilly day.

Spoiler: french fries (click to show/hide)

I got a cooking thermometer so I figured I'd learn how to make homemade fries. It is easier than you'd think as long as you can get the right temperatures. These fries are tossed in grated Parmesan and herbs, which is always a winning combination.

Spoiler: mango chutney (click to show/hide)
recipe

On a whim my roommate and I decided to make some chutney. It was a good decision. We veered from the recipe a bit: we skipped the raisins, used 50/50 white and brown sugar, and used apple cider vinegar instead of white. Those were mainly based on some other recipes I saw and disliking raisins. It turned out really well even though we didn't have anything to eat it with besides chips. What do you usually do with chutney?

I have wanted to roast a chicken for a while. I read about it and everyone on the internet seems to say that you should butterfly a chicken before roasting it so it cooks more evenly. They do not tell you that cutting out the spine of a chicken will destroy a small part of your soul. Still, I did the deed and it worked as described.

At this point the chicken had been in a liquid brine for almost 24 hours. Afterward I rubbed it down with an herb butter I made, making sure to get some under the skin. This was also pretty weird but locked some more flavor in. Overall I'd say this was a big success - it cooked well and tasted great.

Spoiler: one serving, chilled (click to show/hide)
recipe

I happened upon a large amount of overdone bread and this is what became of part of it. I flavored the pudding with a bourbon vanilla and used bourbon instead of brandy in the sauce. I cut the sauce down by a quarter because it seemed excessive (still had enough). I only had about half the nuts I needed so I skimped on that, but it still turned out really well!

I'd say this was a B when warm and then a solid A when chilled. The sauce solidified a bit, almost into a frosting.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:33:37 am by penguinofhonor »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 30, 2016, 09:44:00 pm »

Ahhh, bread pudding!
It's been far too long since I last made that. Literally years.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 30, 2016, 10:00:04 pm »

That looks delicious.

So anyway, we have more brinjals (aubergine/eggplant) and it looks like I'll be cooking them again. Anyone have any favoured recipes?
I don't have any recipes, but where are you that calls them brinjal? India?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3245 on: January 31, 2016, 12:59:28 am »

South Africa. Massive Indian demographic here though, so that's the most common name.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3246 on: January 31, 2016, 02:53:35 am »

Ohhhhh mango chutney... A friend of mine owns a tea room and he makes the bestest toasties there. My favorite is a baguette with sharp cheddar cheese, mango chutney, and arugula, toasted until the cheese melts. Amazing. They also have some kind of sauce for dipping it in, but I honestly have no idea what's in that, sorry.

Just don't overdo the chutney if you try this. It can drown out the other flavors with too much sweetness.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: February 01, 2016, 12:01:23 am »

Knit Tie, I would love a recipe for that marinara. Barbecue-esque pasta sounds great.
It's dead simple.

1)Get bacon. Lots of bacon. Slice into small chunks and fry until crispy.
2)Get mince. Put into pan with bacon and stir-fry until brown and crispy.
3)Take some tomato sauce and put into the mince and bacon pan. Stir-fry until most of the liquid evaporates. Add salt, pepper and some savoury spices, I found that piri-piri salt works great.
4)Boil pasta, mix the meat fry with pasta.

In case you're wondering, it's called marinara because it's what they actually serve in the Russian Navy.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:06:07 am by Knit tie »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: February 01, 2016, 05:22:11 am »

I almost understand all of that. What is "mince"?

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: February 01, 2016, 05:34:00 am »

Beef mince is what he is talking about I think

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:33 am »

That looks delicious.

So anyway, we have more brinjals (aubergine/eggplant) and it looks like I'll be cooking them again. Anyone have any favoured recipes?
I don't have any recipes, but where are you that calls them brinjal? India?

A really good recipe is eggplant chips.

Slice the eggplant into chips about 2 cm/1 inch on the short sides, and salt heavily to draw out the moisture. Leave to rest for 20 - 30 minutes, then wipe dry with paper towels. Roll the eggplant in cornflour, then dip in milk followed by breadcrumbs (add some garlic powder, black pepper, and/or cumin to the breadcrumbs if you want extra flavour) then deep fry in a light oil until dark golden brown.

Pat dry on more paper towels and enjoy!

Also, for a truely amazing red sauce;

2 large or 4 small cans of tomatoes (don't use "fresh" unless you grew them your self, supermarket tomatoes have zero flavour)
1/2 a brown onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (diced)
1-2 sprigs fresh Rosemary (1tsp dried) (oregano also works, or a handful of fresh basil; don't use dried basil though)
2 bay leaves

Fry off the onion and garlic on the bottom of a stockpot in a tbsp each of butter and olive oil until translucent.
Add tomatoes and herbs.
Bring to the barest simmer and cook for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so.
Pull out the intact herbs if using.
Blend to a smooth paste using a stick blender.
Cook for another half hour, salting to taste; add salt, stir, taste in 5 mins, repeat until desired saltiness is reached.

Ta da. Tastes great on it's own, with bread, as a pizza sauce, mixed with mince to make "bolognase" (not really bolognase), or in a lasagne. Anything really.

Also, if you pour it while hot into a sterile jar and seal it, it will keep for ages in the fridge.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:15:25 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:24 am »

Why, old chap, that's just the British word for minced meat, I say. Wot-wot!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:09 am »

Why, old chap, that's just the British word for minced meat, I say. Wot-wot!
In America, they say ground X, where x is whatever meat they're using.

probably because their American meat tastes like dirt ohoho I have struck a glorious blow for robust Australian meat industry
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:38 am »

I mean, if you're putting it through a grinder then I feel like it's a more accurate description. I think we'd call it minced meat here if you actually cut it up into little bits by hand but I don't think anyone does that anymore.

Also, I am confused by British food words very regularly when cooking.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:51:21 pm by penguinofhonor »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: February 01, 2016, 11:01:09 am »

I mean, if you're putting it through a grinder then I feel like it's a more accurate description. I think we'd call it minced meat here if you actually cut it up into little bits by hand but I don't think anyone does that anymore.
I do that when I cook chicken cutlets. It's annoying, but they come out amazing this way.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 334