Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553019 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3210 on: December 15, 2015, 11:00:53 am »

So, recently I went to a gastroenterologist because my bi/tri-weekly cycle of diarrhea-constipation was getting very difficult to deal with.
Turns out, it's irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). And now I'm on an IBS diet (more specifically, a low fodmaps diet).

And while it's not THE most restrictive of diets, and I might come off as spoiled (no pun intended) here, it's basically a huge middle finger to any sort of sweets which I'm a massive (and I do mean massive) fan of.

Can't have any sort of chocolate that isn't really dark because (cow/sheep/goat) milk is a no-no, as is wheat, so that also prohibits a lot of stuff as well.
No honey or most fruit that's processed into jams either (except maybe strawberries, but no peaches for sure), or yoghurts.

Like, all I get is tea with sugar and maybe mandarines and a couple other fruit, but even then I can't have dried or canned fruit.
I can't think of a single kind of candy that doesn't get crossed out by this diet in one form or another.
Sure, it is lenient in most other regards (I can still have rice, any and all meats, fish, eggs and whatnot, and I don't like/eat a lot of other products it restricts), but damn, being a sweet tooth on this sort of diet is hard. :c

Like, I'm really depressed lately, and being able to have a chocolate every now and again (okay...a lot of chocolate) was one of the few things that could really lighten up my mood, and now I don't even get to have that, unless you guys can think of some ways to cheat the system that isn't just straight up "ignore the diet".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:02:52 am by Maks »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3211 on: December 15, 2015, 11:29:36 am »

Eating a lot of sugar can contribute to depression in the long run. So as unpleasant as it is to accept, cutting most of the sweets is probably going to be really good for you in many ways. If you manage to stay strong and stick with the diet, I'd be willing to bet you'll find the depression getting better with time. You can also rest easy knowing that your chances of diabetes and tooth rot will go right down as well. I know how hard it is - I've been trying to cut most sweets as well and it is NOT easy. I have a sweet tooth too. But you have to take care of yourself. Gotta put in the effort now so you can reap the rewards later. Not so easy in our modern instant-gratification society, but it'll be worth it! Really!

Having a little every now and again is probably fine. But if you're eating a lot of chocolate, you're only making yourself feel worse over time.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:39 am »

Well I would not be surprised if that indeed was one of the contributing factors to my depression, although school is probably the bigger one.
Eh, I guess I can switch over to eating a bunch of savory stuff instead. There's good variety to be had there.

In mildly related news, I've switched over to dark bread (partly due to my diet and probably a lot of other diets discouraging white bread). Put some Krakauer (or any other cold cut of your choice) and cheese on it, throw it in the oven for five minutes and and you've got yourself some nice toasts (much better and faster than using our highly inefficient toaster for it). Or into a toaster. Or a sandwich maker. Whichever you feel like/have.

And I still get to eat mandarines at least which is super nice, even though getting a hold of ones that aren't rotten, beaten up or otherwise look suspicious is difficult at times.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:24 am »

Well, I know gluten-free (therefore wheat-free) brownie recipes are a thing that exists, and I don't think cocoa powder has dairy in it, so maybe homemade baked goods are an option?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: December 15, 2015, 11:57:41 am »

I could very well try those when I get a chance. I need an excuse to get better at baking anyway.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3215 on: December 19, 2015, 01:22:22 pm »

Bought a handful of chestnuts at a local market. I love getting the roasted ones at the Christmas markets around here, but I hate actually going to the Christmas markets. Thought it would be nice to just make some at home. I failed. I cut Xs into the skins and roasted them for about 30 minutes at 200 C, but I couldn't get the fuzzy inner skin off. They were glued solid to the nuts. I gnawed what I could off the insides with my teeth (swallowing many little bits of shell in the process), but all in all they were pretty much wasted. What I could get tasted great, though.

Anyone know how to do this properly? The internet seems full of different ideas but also full of people complaining that they can't get the skins off. Anyone have a trusted method of roasting them right so you can actually peel them and enjoy more than a few scraps of delicious nut?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: December 19, 2015, 01:58:58 pm »

Boil them before roasting. Just put in cold water with a pinch of salt and take off stove when it starts properly boiling, it's all that's needed.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: December 28, 2015, 08:48:56 pm »

So I remembered something I used to eat as a kid a couple weeks ago and found a recipe for it.
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-steamed-pork-buns-baozi-156361
I'm going to make a few of these and fire my friends to eat them at a New Years party and see how they turn out
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: December 29, 2015, 03:54:38 am »

So I remembered I used to eat as a kid a couple weeks
What I read.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 06, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »

Random pro tip for scrambled eggs I shamelessly stole from my mum: when making 'em, leave out a single yolk intact and break it just before serving. Especially if you let them dry out.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3220 on: January 24, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »

Made a brinjal curry. Was pretty disappointed. Any general advice or favoured recipes out there?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 26, 2016, 06:52:58 am »

So on a diet now, which sucks.

But turns out Salsa is HILARIOUSLY low calorie. Unfortunately, salsa CHIPS are ridiculously calorific.

Anyone have any fancy ways to use salsa?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 26, 2016, 07:01:13 am »

Eat it by the fistful like a man.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:50 am »

Turn it into Gazpacho.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:05 am »

So on a diet now, which sucks.

But turns out Salsa is HILARIOUSLY low calorie. Unfortunately, salsa CHIPS are ridiculously calorific.

Anyone have any fancy ways to use salsa?

Other Fruits and Vegetables.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:55:46 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 334