Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550843 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3120 on: October 08, 2015, 12:03:53 am »

Tis the season guys...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone have any awesome uses for pumpkin spice, aside from putting it in coffee, on pumpkin, and in baked goods?

I would assume that an oil change would not be an awesome use for pumpkin spice.

Beyond what is mentioned, the only thing I've use pumpkin spice is for pumpkin-pie ice cream.

Pumpkin pie spice is a mix of several of the most commonly used spices in baking. Pretty much anyplace you'd use cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice will be ok (sometimes better, sometimes not as good, but almost always still ok). I've also used it as a replacement for garam masala in a pinch, but it's a mediocre substitute.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3121 on: October 08, 2015, 07:17:14 am »

I ended up using some last night to make some butternut squash. Cut the squash into cubes, rolled in olive oil and pumpkin spice, then roasted in the oven. Sauteed up some onion and garlic and tossed that, some pasta, and the squash together to make a pretty delicious meal!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: October 08, 2015, 11:14:55 am »

I made brownies! And they turned out fairly delicious, even if I had to make the batter in two batches and they turned out to have a different look and consistency when baked. It was a pretty cool visual effect, actually, where there was this fluid dark brown spot in the lighter brown brownie. The recipe's here, it's really a pretty good one.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: October 09, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »

It's pine cone jam. The cones are chewable, edible and tasty, and the syrup resembles raspberry. I didn't even know this is possible! It's nothing but cones, sugar and water and it's awesome. Dad brought it from an exibition (have no idea what kind of exibition it was) and he was told it's only made in a monastery in the city of Kolomna and the cones are transported from Siberia. I guess there are some Chineese virgins and dew at the dawn of the full moon hidden in the Siberian part, but they won't tell.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »

There was an exhibit of various jams in Moscow a while ago, my mother also brought some of that pine cone jam home. I never tasted it though. She said it was nice.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: October 09, 2015, 01:45:21 pm »

That is so cool. I need to find some to try.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: October 09, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »

There was an exhibit of various jams in Moscow a while ago.
No, it wasn't the "Moscow jam*", dad attended it due to his work, it sould've been something more serious.

*"Moscow jam" is a local annual automn trade exibition of omnomnomity. Exotic and national food is exposed, etc.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: October 09, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »

pancakes, thin pancakes. Recipe of happyness.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »

I just found this hot pepper sauce with honey mixed in, at some small market in the roadway... And its actualy pretty damn good :v!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: October 14, 2015, 07:58:53 pm »

-snip-
If you ever happen to encounter that stuff again, would you be interested in exporting a couple jars a few thousand klicks westwards?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »

I just found this hot pepper sauce with honey mixed in, at some small market in the roadway... And its actualy pretty damn good :v!
Was it honey-chipotle sauce? That stuff is amazing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: October 15, 2015, 03:55:18 am »

A bunch of Erasmus students cooked us an asian feast yesterday, and the Koreans had that amazing saltyish hot pepper paste. It's really nice, I had to transition away from Tabasco because its completely cover the taste of your food before getting hot enough. Sriracha is really nice, but using it on every dish gets old. This paste made the resulting dish hot enough AND pleasant.

Also, I still cannot feel my tongue.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: October 15, 2015, 07:33:13 am »

If it is what I think it is, now you have a name for purchasing more.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:32 am »

I have lentils!

Think I'm gonna cook it up and then pop some tomatoes and bacon on a pan and mix it in once it's cooked. Perhaps toss in some cottage cheese at the end, tho that might be a bit of an overkill. Will let you know of the results.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: October 15, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »

First attempt at making buckeye candies is going well. Took a while to mix the dough(peanut butter, butter, a little bit of vanilla extract, and more confectioner's sugar than anticipated) to the point where I could roll it into balls without getting it stuck to my hands, but I did.

Oddly, the recipe I was using is supposed to make 15 1-inch balls(actually 30, but I halved the recipe). I ended up with 24.

As soon as it's cold, I'm going to dip them in melted chocolate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 334