Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550804 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3105 on: October 02, 2015, 12:23:53 pm »

Here is a question:

If you cook rice... Then bake it in a pot

Does that make it fried rice? I always thought it had to be fried in a frying pan or wok or at least need to be evenly fried to count.

If it has lots of veggies and stuff in it, it's either pulao (What Bauglir called pilaf) or biriani
Doesn't pilaf need to be cooked in broth to be a pilaf?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: October 02, 2015, 12:31:22 pm »

This is what Wikipedia tells me, but I figure that after boiling for 40 minutes vegetables and meat are gonna make a broth >_____________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: October 02, 2015, 11:28:58 pm »

Here is a question:

If you cook rice... Then bake it in a pot

Does that make it fried rice? I always thought it had to be fried in a frying pan or wok or at least need to be evenly fried to count.

If it has lots of veggies and stuff in it, it's either pulao (What Bauglir called pilaf) or biriani
In india, pulao is more dry.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: October 06, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »

Food thread people! Substituting almond milk for milk in baking and such. Any particular concerns, or is it just free swap?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: October 06, 2015, 01:21:55 pm »

Should work approximately as well - it's got the same sort of aqueous suspension of fat and protein going, but it'll probably result in some detectable differences in some things, especially if they rely on milk's chemical properties in particular, I think?

So I've tried making snail pie, and while my first result is edible, it is not delicious. I know what to change next time (less butter, correct filling-to-shell ratio), but meanwhile anybody else got any ideas? The recipe I have is basically to put butter and snails in a pie shell and bake for a while, and then pour in egg yolks beaten with a bit of booze and bake again for a bit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: October 06, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »

I used cashew milk in no-bake cookies last week with no problems. Not sure how comparable that is to almond milk, but I assume it's close.

I have never heard of this before so I can't help you, but snail pie sounds fascinating so please update us if you make it again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: October 06, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »

Re: almond milk: Cooee. Will have to try to make pudding pie sometime tonight or tomorrow with it, then. Maybe try mac & cheese soonish. Then other stuff! S'made me feel a bit funny after consuming it, probably mostly because it was the first time I've had any, but the taste was nice and the lingering sensation/aftertaste better than actual milk. Can see it be really good with anything that goes well with nuts, since you can definitely tell almonds were involved in the making, heh.

And cashew milk would probably be pretty similar. Also something I now want to try, because while I do like almonds well enough, I really like cashews, and if the taste translation is similar I might have found a new luxury drink. though I think my biggest question now is if they make pecan milk, and if so, how feasible it is to construct in a normal kitchen, because there's a pecan orchard outside this house and, uh.*

No clue on the snail pie front, though. Assuming I could stomach the snails (probably can't :P), I'd probably be looking for a way to replace the butter with... something else. Not sure what. But something. Kinda' lost the taste for butter over the last several years of only very rarely using any.

... also probably not use the booze, either. Even using it in cooking, I generally prefer to use something more... direct? I guess is the word for it. Whatever part of the alcohol I'm looking for re: taste (either the sweet parts or the rest), I just go for something that's got that and skip the unnecessary intervening substances. Haven't cooked with it much, though, and then just cheap wines.

*Okay, it turns out it's easy, if somewhat time consuming on the prep (pecans need soaking for at least a half day or so, looks like, if you want it very smooth), and I really need to get around to finding out what the hell a tea towel is and acquiring some. Or just a really fine strainer, I guess. Might be one around here, but I don't think so...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:09:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3112 on: October 06, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »

Tis the season guys...

Anyone have any awesome uses for pumpkin spice, aside from putting it in coffee, on pumpkin, and in baked goods? Sadly, I find it's not that great in coffee without sugar and cream (and being lactose intolerant and non-dairy "milk" products being expensive and tending to go bad before I use a whole container, I generally just drink coffee black). But I love the way it smells and I'm itching to put it to an interesting use. Pumpkin spice brussels sprouts? Pumpkin spice french fries?

(By the way, my pumpkin spice is homemade, just a mix of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: October 06, 2015, 02:16:47 pm »

Can't speak for pumpkin spice, but since it's got cinnamon in it I can tell you I've had pretty interesting (and even fairly tasty :V) results putting cinnamon in noodle dishes. Also might recommend trying it on meat of some sort, if you eat it. I did some cinnamon glazed chicken a bit back I found pretty delightful, especially on rice (the rice was actually better than the chicken once the stuff on the chicken got into it :P). Definitely have had family members give pretty glowing reviews re: pumpkin spice flavoring and sweet potatoes, too. Sweet potato fries dusted with pumpkin spice?

.. though re: non-dairy stuff, I'm just now noticing that it's pretty easy to make the stuff, if you can get raw nuts for cheaper than the processed non-dairy milk. Mostly just takes some time (to soak the nuts), a blender, a strainer, and some seasoning. Would also let you ration out the amount easier, and the nuts themselves store a lot better than the milk (since frozen nuts work just fine once thawed out, and can stick around for months).

E: My other recommendation for the spice would be to try putting it in other condiments, if you use them. The similar effect I've had is putting syrup in with other sauces (ketchup, bbq, teriyaki sauce, etc.), which often turns out wonderful. This conversation has led me to realize I'm now going to have to try putting cinnamon in teriyaki sauce and dipping meat in it, soon. *makes mental note*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:22:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3114 on: October 06, 2015, 03:06:41 pm »

I have an "alternative" recipie for Pao de Queijo that uses granulated tapioca flour instead of the fine cassava flour, might be easier to find in markets outside brazil. I usually do the recipie by eye so I'm considering setting up a good lamp and taking pictures of the process. Any interest?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: October 06, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »

Sounds neat. I have no idea what that is save that it sounds like something you might punch someone with :P
Ask not!
Ask!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: October 06, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

I would definitely be interested in that. I've wanted to make those for a while actually.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: October 06, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »

Tis the season guys...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone have any awesome uses for pumpkin spice, aside from putting it in coffee, on pumpkin, and in baked goods?

I would assume that an oil change would not be an awesome use for pumpkin spice.

Beyond what is mentioned, the only thing I've use pumpkin spice is for pumpkin-pie ice cream.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: October 06, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

Food thread people! Substituting almond milk for milk in baking and such. Any particular concerns, or is it just free swap?
As long as it's anything you could conceivably replace with powdered milk, you're cool. Non-dairy milk substitutes are pretty good for anything except coffee. The one reason I can't go full vegan is because non-dairy "milk" in my precious, hallowed coffee is just fucking disgusting, no two ways about it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: October 06, 2015, 09:37:46 pm »

If anybody in the thread has had stroopwafels mailed to them: Do they get mashed up in the post? Recipes say that you can make them with a waffle iron just as well as the weird special stroopwafel iron, but I wouldn't bet on my skill :^y
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 334