Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550808 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3090 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:57 am »

I don't know how much carbs rice has, but it's great with fruit and yogurt.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: September 11, 2015, 11:08:23 am »

I don't know how much carbs rice has, but it's great with fruit and yogurt.
ALL OF THEM, unfortunately. I checked on a box of rice I have, actually, it's 82% carbs by weight. It's carbed carbs in a carb-onara sauce, essentially.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: September 18, 2015, 12:07:11 am »

Isn't the point of rice carbs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: September 18, 2015, 12:51:44 am »

Hmmm...
Here's something for you to try, try out just having a few easy things that are filled with fibre (Celery, corn, Mabye) just have a bunch of that stuff, it works for me to suppress my appetite.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:43 pm »

So I accidentally'd into the greatest meal of all time.

Insert oats and tomatoes into rice cookerAdd Water, Push Button
???
Prophet
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: September 26, 2015, 05:54:26 am »

How did it taste?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: September 26, 2015, 04:54:41 pm »

Turns out eggrolls are about the easiest thing in the world to make and surprisingly healthy.  We spent 2 hours and made 5 meals worth, with 1/2 cup vegetables in each one.

Recipe: http://www.thestarvingchefblog.com/2013/10/seriously-simple-egg-rolls.html

TL:DR Saute bagged coleslaw mix, put coleslaw mix on eggroll wrapper, wrap, deep fry or bake. TADA!  We also added some sliced chicken.

The Starving Chef also has some anime-inspired recipes, so next up in cooking adventures is Avatar the Last Airbender cream cheese fruit pies ( http://www.thestarvingchefblog.com/2015/08/fruit-pies-avatar-last-airbender-recipes.html ) or cabbage steak, which sounds tasty and hilarious.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: September 26, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »

That cabbage steak thing sounds amazing, will have to try and make it next week.

Also, in food news, made pizza today, tried my hand at making a stuffed crust, didn't turn out the best but it was still pretty nice. The main problem was that it was an impromptu thing so I had to work with too little dough and it was a bit too oily so the seam didn't close as nicely. Still, turned out pretty neat and tasty. Also red horn peppers go awesomely on a pizza with several kinds of cheese, really freshens up the whole thing nicely :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3098 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:21 am »

Sick get. :( Sick fix with food!

Personal recipe for grog:
Chop up or mince decent-sized slice of fresh ginger. Put in cup.
Add one bag of cheap black tea to cup. (Weak stuff, not the strong English stuff. No strong flavors.)
Boil water. Pour over cup.
After about half a minute, remove tea bag.
Let sit for about ten minutes.
Strain liquid into second cup to remove ginger pieces.
Add some fresh-squeezed lemon juice, a small spoon of honey, and a shot of rum (preferably Czech "Tuzemsky" rum, but you can't really get that outside of this country - it tastes *very* different from Caribbean rum).
Drink!
Repeat until you are healthy or too drunk to care that you're sick.

For dinner:
Chop or mince a few cloves of garlic and a small onion. Also chop up a carrot and a few small potatoes or one large one, and slice up one small chili pepper.
Sautee everything but the potato in a little olive oil in a big pot. Add the potato once it's really hot. Do not let the garlic turn brown! Just lightly sautee.
Sprinkle in some "provencal" herb mix and a generous helping of chopped parsley (fresh is best, dried works fine).
After about one minute, pour in a bunch of water, as much as you want. You can also add a sprinkling of flour or potato/corn starch to thicken it a bit.
Sprinkle in a tiny bit of sea salt (just a pinch) and a generous amount of black pepper.
Boil then cover and simmer for half an hour.
Chop up a few small tomatoes and throw that in about 5 minutes before the soup is ready.
Meanwhile, brush some sliced dark bread with olive oil. When the soup is almost done, toss them in the oven/toaster and toast until lightly browned and slightly crispy on the outside.
Soup > bowl. Toast > dip in soup while eating.
Repeat until there is no more soup. Or make some more soup. It's pretty good.
NO MORE SICK.

Also these things are also lovely when you are not sick.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: September 29, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »

Speaking of healthy food that's relatively easy to make and digest, I've recently discovered the pilaf* and the wonders of its awesome greatness. Chop up a bunch of ingredients, ideally carrot, onion, celery, garlic, and chicken, and boil them with a pot of brown rice (don't use the parboiled stuff, it won't give the chicken time enough to get tender). Seasoning is pretty simple - salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, bit of soy sauce. That's what I use, but you could get away with whatever you want (or even nothing, though a pinch of salt goes a long way). Very simple, and once you get it going you can just walk away and come back in about 40 minutes. Otherwise, you cook it just as you would any stovetop pot of rice. So you can either do the fluffy thing where you take it off heat while there's still a touch of liquid and let it soak that up before serving, or you can cook off all the liquid and let the bottom get all nice and crispy, or you can make a sort of porridgy thing, whatever you want really.

*the meal, not the emperor
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »

Here is a question:

If you cook rice... Then bake it in a pot

Does that make it fried rice? I always thought it had to be fried in a frying pan or wok or at least need to be evenly fried to count.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: September 30, 2015, 03:30:21 pm »

If there's anything but rice in it, it sounds like a casserole to me. If it's just the rice, then it just sounds like a novel-ish way of finishing it up. Fried rice does need to be fried; the stirring and high heat are important for getting the oil to cook into it properly, I think, and usually for cooking other ingredients (notably egg).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: September 30, 2015, 03:31:36 pm »

If it's not fried at some point, it's probably not fried rice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: September 30, 2015, 04:01:26 pm »

If there's anything but rice in it, it sounds like a casserole to me. If it's just the rice, then it just sounds like a novel-ish way of finishing it up. Fried rice does need to be fried; the stirring and high heat are important for getting the oil to cook into it properly, I think, and usually for cooking other ingredients (notably egg).

It was called Turkey fried rice. Likely it had turkey and bean sprouts. No oil in it.

If it's not fried at some point, it's probably not fried rice.

I see.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:41 am »

Here is a question:

If you cook rice... Then bake it in a pot

Does that make it fried rice? I always thought it had to be fried in a frying pan or wok or at least need to be evenly fried to count.

If it has lots of veggies and stuff in it, it's either pulao (What Bauglir called pilaf) or biriani
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 334