Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550772 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3060 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »

Made a pumpkin pie for the first time. Very nervous. Is it supposed to still be wobbly was I take it out of the oven?
The exposed crust is dark brown, while the filling is golden brown. A fork came out clean.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

Yeah, I'd definitely expect it to thicken as it cools.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: August 19, 2015, 12:43:06 pm »

Yeah, that's about right. It's functionally a custard, so a lot of the thickening will happen as it cools to room temperature.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: August 19, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »

Yeah, it thickened, but the pie overall was less than the best. Too much spice in it. Was in general deemed 'okay' but not 'great'.

Then again, it's the first pumpkin pie I've ever made, and only the second pie ever, so it's to be expected.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: August 19, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »

the joy of baking is adapting the recipe over many attempts. Also a great excuse to bake more pies.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:57 pm »

Marinaded some chicken in sriracha and mead with a bit of lime juice, and a package of roasted chicken ramen seasoning (for some reason). Really good, and mixed with the cooking oil, a bit of apple cider vinegar, and some flour, thickened up into a nice sweet and spicy sauce for the chicken.

So, yeah, I'll endorse mead as a good alcohol for white meat marinade.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: August 21, 2015, 11:49:44 am »

Does anyone have a recipe for corn bread that doesn't use a ton of sugar? 

I've not been able to find one that doesn't make like.. cornmeal sweetbread instead of the older fashioned heavy salt type loaf.

Missed your query before and just noticed it. Here's an old recipe for southern-style savory cornbread:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 egg
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp bacon drippings

Put the bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven (or cake pan if you don't have either). I use a 9 inch skillet, so something around that size. Put this in an oven that you are pre-heating to 400°F while you mix the remaining ingredients.

Mix the dry ingredients. Beat the egg with the buttermilk. Mix the egg/buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients, then stir in the melted butter.

Once your oven is pre-heated, take out the pan and add the batter. Make sure it is evenly distributed in the pan. Put the pan back in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The edges should turn golden brown, and if a toothpick inserted near the middle pulls out clean, it's done.

Let the cornbread sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.

Hopefully this is along the lines of what you were looking for, instead of the more popular northern-style cornbread (which has more sugar and flour).

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:34 pm »

Marinaded some chicken in sriracha and mead with a bit of lime juice, and a package of roasted chicken ramen seasoning (for some reason). Really good, and mixed with the cooking oil, a bit of apple cider vinegar, and some flour, thickened up into a nice sweet and spicy sauce for the chicken.

So, yeah, I'll endorse mead as a good alcohol for white meat marinade.

I'd never thought to use mead in a marinade, but now that I think about it, it makes sense that it would be good. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll have to try it sometime.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3068 on: September 04, 2015, 07:02:53 am »

Anyone have any good uses for canned soya beans? I know they're healthy but I don't know any good ways to cook them, and the recipes that pop up when I do a general google search require a lot of stuff I don't have.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:48 pm »

Anyone have any good uses for canned soya beans? I know they're healthy but I don't know any good ways to cook them, and the recipes that pop up when I do a general google search require a lot of stuff I don't have.

Chilli or bean stew.  Those options work with any kind of bean.

We finally got an ice cream maker that works. :D  So far so good - the ice cream turns out decent regardless of how carelessly we make the recipe.  Not that the recipes are hard, mind, we just typically don't bother with recipes.

Mini-Review:

The ice cream we make is not quite as nice as expensive ice cream brands.  It is better than cheap ice cream brands, and about the same cost.  Only slightly worse and much cheaper, I'll take it.  Also, we can make all kinds of weird flavors and experiment.  I was worried about planning ahead enough to make the bases and freeze the bowl - we are terrible at planning ahead - but so far we just keep the bowl in the freezer and it works great.  Mixes do work better when cooled down before being poured in. Popping them in the fridge for 2 hours works great, and making the mix doesn't take long, so it works perfectly to bookend cooking dinner.

If you like trying different kinds of things, tweaking to suit your tastes, or eat a lot of ice cream, a low-cost ice cream maker is a great idea.  If you just like standard vanilla/chocolate sometimes and don't buy the better brands, it's not worth it.   
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 06, 2015, 02:14:57 am »

Are these actual bean soyabeans, or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein ?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3071 on: September 06, 2015, 04:37:21 am »

Actual soybeans. This exact can, in fact:

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 06, 2015, 07:01:34 pm »

I cannot help with soybeans, but at a guess I'd expect them to be good in anything garbanzo beans are. Usually those go best with lots of fat, which soybeans can supply themselves, I think.

Also, this is pretty good as a rice topping if you're a fool and forget to bread.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 09, 2015, 07:59:30 am »

So I tried creating my own candy peanut-butter mush, which was basically just creamy peanut butter + copious chocolate syrup + marshmallows + whatever you want to add. It wasn't very good, but it got me thinking: what is the difference between peanut butter in candy (ie Reese's) and the kind of peanut butter you get in a jar? They're much different consistencies and flavors, which makes me think that the peanut butter inside a Reese's cup has nothing to do with the kind of peanut butter you get in a jar... is it possible to prepare your own "candy" peanut butter? Google brings up nothing on this topic.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 09, 2015, 08:08:58 am »

Yes, there's a difference. My aunt has made some sort of chocolate and peanut butter dessert where the peanut butter has that consistency and flavor. I forget the recipe but I think the main thing you add is a lot of sugar.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 334