Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550770 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3030 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:41 pm »

Lebanese bread does not go with peanut butter.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: August 08, 2015, 03:46:12 am »

My guilty pleasure is a bit of Hass avocado spread on toast with lemon juice drizzled on it and pepper cracked onto it. it's fantastic, incredibly easy to make, and has a lovely taste.

The "guilty" part comes from the titanic expense of buying Hass. Here in Australia, they vary between $1 and $4 around the year.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: August 08, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »

Does anyone happen to have advice regarding turkey bacon? Favorite brands, best methods of cooking, best ways to use it, etc?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: August 09, 2015, 03:58:25 am »

Going to be making this (http://mybarbariantable.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/pfb-2-manti-ottoman-empires-precious.html?m=1) soon :)

Sounds good! Also, interesting that it's called Boregi... I wonder if that's the same etymology as Polish pierogi dumplings?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: August 09, 2015, 03:59:53 am »

I really enjoyed the Bosnian version when I was in Sarajevo.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:17 am »

I was under the assumption they were called Manti

And those two may be related as another form of stuffing for these dumplings (for meatless dumplings that is) is to stuff them with potatoes or squash. IIRC pierogi are stuffed with potato correct?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:05:01 am by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: August 09, 2015, 10:10:37 am »

Going to be making this (http://mybarbariantable.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/pfb-2-manti-ottoman-empires-precious.html?m=1) soon :)
Dumplings? Must try this. Especially the way its folded. It'll look amazing when fried.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:17:23 am by majikero »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:24 am »

Does anyone have a recipe for corn bread that doesn't use a ton of sugar? 

I've not been able to find one that doesn't make like.. cornmeal sweetbread instead of the older fashioned heavy salt type loaf.
Nom nom nom

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:56 am »

I have one for corn casserole that we call corn bread :p doesn't use a lot of sugar but uses a lot of cheese and butter

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3040 on: August 16, 2015, 05:23:33 am »

Best rice and beans I've ever made!

Sauteed half a white onion and half a red onion in olive oil. Added chopped red and green bell pepper, plus two chopped fresh jalapenos. When they got soft, added a handful of chopped fresh coriander leaf (cilantro) and a couple of sliced mushrooms. Let that go for a minute, then dumped in a can of red kidney beans (with the brine) and a handful of frozen corn (would have been better with sweet corn, but sadly they didn't have any when I went shopping, so it's the non-sweet kind and is still good). When the sauce boiled down, I added two small chopped fresh tomatoes and squeezed half a lime over the whole thing. Also sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper.

Put it in some tortillas along with some jasmine rice to make the best burritos. I'm so happy right now.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: August 16, 2015, 12:35:24 pm »

So I made the manti in the link I posted earlier.
I used larger dumplings though (3"x3") instead of (1.5"x1.5") because I've never made dumplings before and it was difficult enough folding the larger ones.
I didn't really take any good pics while making them because my hands were covered in raw meat and egg before popping them in the oven and I was rushing to make the yogurt garlic dip and sautéed vegies while everything was baking.

It tasted pretty and the dip went well (mixed a 6oz thing of plain nonfat yogurt with some minced garlic, garlic salt, and a couple pinches of ground sumac (IMPOSIBLY HARD TO FIND OUT HERE!)) but the dumplings were basicaly just meatballs in wantons, so next time I will be seasoning them better and probably do two batches. One with terryaki sauce mixed in with the meat and the (btw I used ground beef instead of lamb .-. ) and the second with ground sumac and other SPICES instead of sauce.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: August 16, 2015, 07:40:49 pm »

The optimal sauce for rice is prepared by cooking chicken, garlic, and celery in an excess of butter with black pepper. When the vegetables are soft, and the meat cooked, add equal parts sriracha and sour cream.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: August 17, 2015, 04:48:53 pm »

The optimal sauce for rice is prepared by cooking chicken, garlic, and celery in an excess of butter with black pepper. When the vegetables are soft, and the meat cooked, add equal parts sriracha and sour cream.

This is happening tonight. I have the ingredients. I will have the awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

Is that some sort of variation on gumbo? Certainly seems like it (and it seems awesome).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 334