Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 554150 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2835 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:30 pm »

Yeah, it's fairly similar.

Also, while doing this, I learned of a nice trick for whenever you need to peel massive amount of garlic (which, if you're a man/woman/cosmic horror of taste is each time you cook): take the head, smash it with the heel of your hand to separate the cloves, then put them all in a pot with a close-fitting lid and shake the beejeezus out of them for ~20 sec. The cloves will be all nice and peeled.

P.S. Coq au Van sounds like a Transformer's dish.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »

massive amount of garlic

So disgusting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:21 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: June 02, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »

Cooking is easy. It just require one to be willing to spend more than 15 minutes in the kitchen.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: June 02, 2015, 02:03:36 pm »

Cooking isn't hard, but there are definitely skills associated with it that you can improve upon with study and practice. But, almost anyone can become at least competent in those skills with just spending an hour or two each week practicing (and getting progressively better food as a result of said practice).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2840 on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:17 pm »

And it's easy to get started if you just look up recipes online. After a few months you'll be able to make substitutions for stuff you can't find, and at that point you'll know everything you need to be a good cook. Maybe not a chef, but a good cook.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 02, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »

Cooking is great. Lots of skills and stuff...you don't get to necessarily see the fruits of your labor or the processes carrying themselves out until the very end.

Cooking though, you can. You can see the relationship between what you do and how food changes very easily. You throw that meat on the skillet and hear it sizzle and see a nice sear on it, that smell hits you....MMMMMM MMM.

It still takes time to learn facts and techniques. Like, I couldn't figure out for the longest time why my Hamburger Helper (don't look at me like that, I cook and I eat garbage too) just tasted flat and funny compared to normal. Then it dawned of me that draining off all the fat from the browned hamburger was starving it of flavor.

Cooking is a great time to test and observe. I find actual fun in cooking, especially as you branch out from grilled cheese to, well, making french stuff. (Seriously, Coc Au Van is "Put da chicken in da pot wit da veggies and da wine, come back 6 hours later and make some noodles to put it over.")
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:01 pm »

Oh, that wasn't a typo? You know it's "au Vin" and not "au Van", right?

But yeah, cooking is great. For myself, I must admit the main block is laziness and lack of motivation, which is why I love cooking for people. I used to have weekly dinners for (and often cooking with) friends. This gigot de sept heures will be eaten for lunch tomorrow with my supervisor (who will make some Tiramisu).

Eating should be something social is my point I guess.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »

Not a typo, I guess I was spelling it as I've heard it, not as it's spelled.

But yeah, cooking is great. For myself, I must admit the main block is laziness and lack of motivation, which is why I love cooking for people.

I'm pretty much the same way. I know how to treat myself and when I do cook for myself I make a thing of it. I take the time so it's usually no less than 2 hours. But, I'm always happy to cook for people.

Did you ever work in a kitchen? I guess I sorta glazed over the fact that I worked in kitchens for 4 to 5 years. But my family is big on cooking. Every one of my immediate family and most of my other family can do it well. My dad made it a point to require us to cook a meal for a couple summers every week. So I've been around it for a long time.

I've been talking about making deep dish pizza by hand for a while. Last time I did it, it was great. Just takes like 3 hours and dough making, which pretty much means that's what I'll be doing that day. Pepperoni, Cream Cheese and Mushrooms though, so good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:32:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »

I love cooking! I definitely get too lazy to cook some days, but I usually find it enjoyable and fun. Especially when I'm cooking something new or tweaking a recipe. Since school has been out and I've been less busy and stressed, I've been cooking a lot more and finding it's a really satisfying use of my free time. I cook for my roommates when possible, but it's still fun by myself. I get more food that way anyway.

Here is some recent food:

Salads with fruit are the future. I've eaten several of these since I made this first one. I make a basic vinaigrette with red wine vinegar and olive oil.

beef recipe

This recipe is always a great use of ground beef. I halved the recipe because I only had half a pound of beef, and instead of 1/8tsp ground ginger I used about a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger because crazy gingery food is awesome. I chopped up the kohlrabi bulb thing and its leaves and sauteed them separately, then threw on some mushrooms. Once everything was done I mixed it together and put it on some red quinoa. Red quinoa looks similar to cooked ground beef and like 95% of the quinoa is covered in that picture so you can't really see it. This was a lot of food.

Kohlrabi is pretty good, though I'm not sure what else to make with it. I tried deep frying some sliced kohlrabi to make fries, but they just got soggy.

waffle recipe

It was a while since I deep fried something, so I decided to try this PB2 stuff out. It's like dehydrated powdered peanut butter, and it seems like it would be useful? I made the breading for this with 50% powdered peanut butter, 25% white flour, and 25% cornmeal. The chicken was some chopped up thigh meat, which I let marinate in buttermilk for a couple hours. The peanut butter breading held up pretty well, but only tasted kind of nutty. There was not a strong peanut taste. It was still good because come on, it's fried chicken.

Later that night I made some more chicken with a 100% powdered peanut butter breading. It crumbled off a bit while it was frying and didn't stick to the chicken as well. It only tasted slightly nuttier than the half peanut butter breading, so it wasn't really worth it.

I could eat a different kind of chicken and waffles every day of the week.

These chicken bits were some strips of breast meat, which were dipped in egg, then coated in the peanut mixture (like 80% chopped peanuts, 20% panko bread crumbs, plus some salt). Then they went in the oven at 350F for around 15-20 minutes. The waffles were made from 6 potatoes that were peeled, boiled, and mashed. I added a lot of cheese (while they were still hot so it melted in), some salt and pepper, three eggs (after the potatoes cooled a bit), then threw scoops of the stuff in the waffle iron. They take longer to cook than normal waffles.

Both parts of this meal were great. Mashed potato waffles are a staple in my apartment - we pretty much only make mashed potatoes for me to turn into waffles. The best thing about the chicken was that the peanuts got roasted a bit. This was very peanutty and I would recommend it over the fried chicken if you are looking for this flavor combination.

Spoiler: sweet potato waffles (click to show/hide)
recipe (warning: lame paleo site)

I scaled this recipe down slightly since my sweet potato ended up being like 2/3 of a cup after being baked and mashed. I used peanut butter instead of almond butter because fuck almonds, and buckwheat flour instead of coconut flour. Regular wheat flour would definitely work there, but these had to stay gluten free.

These were also very good. I am happy to add another waffle variant to my repertoire. I do not have a waffle problem.

Spoiler: meusli! (click to show/hide)
recipe

I made some meusli because Loud Whispers mentioned it in another thread and it was a funny looking word. The grated apples I used were gala, and I got some nectarines, bananas, and strawberries for the chopped fruit. I used walnuts instead of almonds because fuck almonds. The picture was taken after it had chilled overnight, when the flavors from the fruit (and some of the red color from the strawberries) had soaked into the oats and stuff more.

This is pretty good, though I think the recipe could use some tweaking. It's a little heavy on the OJ, and I don't know if I like nuts in this stuff. They just have a weird texture with the apples and oats. Maybe I'll chop them up more finely next time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:47:33 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: June 03, 2015, 08:59:44 am »

1) Is it called Kohlrabi in English too?
2) It's müsli. Muesli is the English spelling. Meusli sounds like 'little mouse', as pronounced by a Swabian guy :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:53 am »

you saw nothing

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:55 am »

Kohlrabi in English too, yes.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2848 on: June 03, 2015, 10:38:09 am »

you saw nothing

Missed a spot.

And müsli (just for you, Helgo) is generally very good. I'm a little bit sick of it at the moment, having had nothing but plain müsli for breakfast for months, but that's mostly my fault.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

I used walnuts instead of almonds because fuck almonds.

But... Almonds are the best nuts.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 334