Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 554106 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2805 on: May 11, 2015, 11:03:47 am »

I buy a jar of Necafè brand instant coffee, about $6.50 for about 2-3 months supply. It's good enough, since I apparently have low standards for coffee it seems. Plus, I can use the glass jar it comes in afterwards. Good for holding things like leftovers, loose coins, milk, fairies, souls of defeated ghosts...

*googles french press

OHHHHH, that's what those things are
* Akura  also googles french press.

*same reaction as above*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: May 11, 2015, 05:21:21 pm »

As a wee bit of a coffee snob, I tolerate Nescafe because it's the best instant coffee out there, though that is not setting the bar very high. I personally prefer to use the coffee pods in the machine I have, or brew ground coffee in a plunger/french press or percolator.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 11, 2015, 06:12:50 pm »

So I was wandering, if you guys drink non-instant coffee, how do you make it? Like, what spices, what method, that sort of thing.

I rarely drink coffee, but when I do I use my roommate's coffee machine and add a lot of milk and honey. I don't really like the taste of unadulterated coffee.

Spices are a good idea. I might make a little spiced coffee now.

Waitwaitwait, you can drink coffee with honey of all things? How does that taste? Honestly, the thought just... never occurred to me.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: May 11, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:41:56 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2809 on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:12 am »

What a timely subject. I have just hours ago arrived back at home in Prague at long last, and one of the things I'm most looking forward to is resuming use of my french press. The drip coffee in the US is always just so ugh. I don't like the taste. I prefer to use less grounds, but leave it soaking for at least 10 minutes. Makes it just as strong, but the flavor is different.

I do also love me a good cold brew. Now and then I'll set one up in the french press before bed for enjoyment first thing in the morning.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:33 am »

Damn, I wish I had the budget for a new appliance, then. But I don't. The last thing I bought was a new toaster, and even though for some reason it doesn't seem to drop down all the way, it works beautifully.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2811 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:16 am »

If you're looking for a french press, they are not generally expensive. I mean, you can get expensive ones, of course, but I got mine for 200 kc / about $10. Try Tesco/Walmart/Whatever your area has? Amazon has got this one for pretty cheap. I really think they are worth the investment if you like coffee - though, of course, you may decide you like the taste of drip coffee better. Maybe try one out somewhere first and make sure you want it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:17 am »

hey food thread, what do i make for dinner tomorrow

hit me up with anything i'll just shove what i don't want to make onto later days

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:34 am »

hit me up with anything i'll just shove what i don't want to make onto later days

what ingredients do you have
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »

Go buy a can of snails. Cook them up in butter with garlic and basil, maybe a bit of salt. Toss them up with pasta and eat that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: May 12, 2015, 12:56:48 pm »

Cheddar-Ale Soup with Brie Grilled Cheese. I want that now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 12, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »

what ingredients do you have

i have a supermarket and a host of other stores

literally send whatever

Go buy a can of snails. Cook them up in butter with garlic and basil, maybe a bit of salt. Toss them up with pasta and eat that.

this is happening

Cheddar-Ale Soup with Brie Grilled Cheese. I want that now.

and this the day after

aand i'm set, thank you food thread

* LordSlowpoke puts on a hat and absconds

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: May 13, 2015, 01:37:58 am »

So I've decided I want a better source of coffee besides instant.

Should I go for a moka pot, a drip machine, or just mix in the grounds, let it sit, and strain it?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: May 13, 2015, 01:57:56 am »

Being a person who doesn't care about food, and having the house to myself for 3 weeks, my meals are consisting of some meat, some rice/potatos/pasta and some microwaved frozen vegetables.

Will there be any dietary dramas from just having frozen peas/beans/corn for 3 weeks or should i really vary it up with some other salad?
Magma is overrated.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: May 13, 2015, 02:54:47 am »

Other than flatulence I don't think you should have much problems :P

But atleast try and grab some fresh veggies, they're both healthy and tasty as fuck.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 334