Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552864 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2430 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »

There's a donut called Fastnacht? That is hilarious. Does anyone know if there's a donut called that *in* Germany, or is it like Berliners, where they're only called out *outside* of Berlin?

Unlike Scotch Pies, which they apparently are actually called even here in Scotland. They're a very proud people. Very proud of those pies. It's like if you went to America and ordered an American Hamburger.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: February 18, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »

I've got leftover steaks, anybody got any ideas of what to do with them for lunch?
(I had just normal steak for lunch yesterday so I want to do something different with them this time)
Dice up some onions, fry them a little bit, and then fry steaks on them for 10-15 minutes, add a glass of water, cover the pan and leave it on low heat for an hour or so. After that dissolve a spoon of flour in half a glass of water and add that to the pan, turn up the heat and stir until the sauce thickens. Season to taste, ofc. As an alternative to water you can use milk (creamier sauce, but less pronounced meat flavor), and as an alternative to flour you can use an egg yolk for thickening. If you got some mushroom throw them in when you add the steaks. Normally I use this recipe for tougher meat like beef, but I'm sure it'll be good with steaks, if a bit wasteful since steaks are best when grilled.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: February 18, 2015, 01:23:03 pm »

..... I got hungry and cooked them anyways and did something close to that <_<
I cut off the fat and threw it in the pan and let the grease melt off, while that cooked I cut up half an onion, once the fat was mostly melted I took out the bits of meat and not melted fat and threw that out then added the chopped up onion to the grease. Put a lid over that then started cutting the steak into strips then cut the strips in half. Once the onions were half done cooking I added the steak and stored it up then put the lid on for a couple minutes. Stired it up and added some BBQ sauce then put their back on for another couple minutes sitting occasionally.

It was so delicious!
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: February 18, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »

No, I consumed an underground train.
And then Japa ate all the runaway slaves.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 18, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »

i am eating homemade fries

AND THEY ARE THE AMAZINGS
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2435 on: February 18, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »

I am having my first proper British beers tonight. First I had a "The Speckled Hen." It tasted bad. Like if you set some hops on fire and left them burning on top of a pile of sugar and added water to the melted mess and carbonated it a bit. Blech.

On the other hand, Old Peculier is turning out to be surprisingly nice, at least in comparison to that Speckled Hen. Also, it's 5.6% alcohol by volume. Holy crap. And it's relatively cheap. Considering an average beer here costs two pounds from the supermarket (five to seven pounds from a pub), and this one was only 1.60.

Two pounds is, like, 75 crowns. A beer in Prague (which is far, FAR better than this stuff) will cost 12 crowns from the supermarket. 20 if you get a really nice one. Cheap stuff can be found under ten. In a pub or bar, you'll pay 25-35. 40 if it's an expensive place. I've spent hours of my life grumbling about spending 40 kc on a single beer. now I'm paying 75 for each one. Something is horribly wrong with the universe.

Beer is expensive in the UK, is the message I want you guys to get here. I don't recommend coming here to drink.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: February 18, 2015, 06:12:31 pm »

Considering an average beer here costs two pounds from the supermarket (five to seven pounds from a pub), and this one was only 1.60.

Five to seven pounds for a pint from a pub? Where in God's unholy brews are you buying beer at that price? All the pubs i've seen have it ~£2.50.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2437 on: February 18, 2015, 06:19:20 pm »

Well, I'm in Edinburgh. I only went to one pub, and got scared off by the scary prices. It is entirely possible that it's cheaper in other places but... my flatmate, a genuine English Man who has lived here for a while, insists that this is standard.

I suppose this merits further investigation, if it doesn't bankrupt me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 19, 2015, 10:09:43 am »

Orange and Grapefruit juice with a small spoon of honey is fucking ace. Tho I really need to find an alternative to honey since I'm gonna run out soon, any squeezable sweet fruits that I could use?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: February 19, 2015, 12:26:23 pm »

hmmm
Cherries? Maybe some sort of apples or peaches? Possibly watermellon or some other sweet melon?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: February 19, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »

Should've probably specified that I'd prefer something not seasonal that won't cost me an arm and a leg when it isn't in season. Oranges and grapefruits are fairly cheap most of the time and they only get cheaper in season (plus I can nab oranges even cheaper in the caffeteria sometimes).

I'd use carrots but I don't have a proper juicer for those.
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: February 19, 2015, 03:40:26 pm »

Apples? Might be a bit on the crisp side.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:14 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:10:51 am by penguinofhonor »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: February 19, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »

Heh, probably should've worded that better. Doesn't need to substitute it entirely, I just need something else that can add some sweetness, carrots are slightly sweet so I'd probably need a lot. I could just sugar the damn thing but I'm not too keen on that idea tbh, prefer to fruit it up as much as  I can nowadays ^^
AS - IG

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »

But but but carats aren't fruit .-.
Nor are they sweet, to me....
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 334