Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550761 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Arguing Soumantics
« Reply #1230 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:21 pm »

All you need is a small pot and a cup of oil. A pot is usually enough for 1 serving.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »

Here is a thing I found out when cooking...

If you overspice a food too much, you often get the effect of making it blander ironically.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

All you need is a small pot and a cup of oil. A pot is usually enough for 1 serving.

Well I have a hungry family to feed, and I know I'll find some way to set that on fire. Also, they surprisingly are not awful baked. And a bit healthier to boot.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1233 on: June 11, 2014, 01:16:49 am »

I don't have a grill. I live in a very tiny apartment. And there's plenty of food that's served cold, but you still have to cook it (that includes gazpacho, which has to cook for a long time on the stove). I need to find recipes that don't need to be cooked at all. I'm not turning that stove on for more than a minute or two until this heat wave passes. It's the kind of heat where the sun goes down and you don't feel any difference. You know that glorious feeling when you step from the hot sun into the shade and feel that cool relief wash over you? I haven't felt that in days and I'm fantasizing about it. Just constantly wetting my face and hair.

And making fries/chips in the oven is far better. Far less messy, far healthier. I tried making them on the stove ONCE and I will never do it again. It took ages to clean up all the spattered oil, and they didn't even cook the way I wanted them. In the oven they come out perfect every time and only require a thin coating of oil, so they're not all greasy. If you leave the skins on they're even marginally healthy. Cooking in a deep fryer might be easier and more effective than on the stove, but I prefer my oven fries.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 11, 2014, 01:43:50 am »

Deep frying is not easier than the oven. If it got me the same product, I'd much rather stick fries in a hot box for a while than have to manage a bigass pot of scalding oil.

It's worth it for the flavor though. Delicious oily flavor.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 11, 2014, 02:31:56 am »

Yeah, it's about flavor, and being snobbish and pedantic. Nothing to do with stuff like healthiness or easiness.

Cucumber soup make for a nice, refreshing, no cooking soup.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 11, 2014, 03:25:09 am »

Was gonna suggest some oat flakes with yoghurt and fruit as a nice and refreshing meal but then I remembered you're lactose intolerant :I

You could still do them with water I guess, not as tasty and requires some water to be boiled but it fills you up nice and is healthy, plus easily seasoned with other stuff too.

Also agreed on the heat and cooking. Only after you've lived trough a summer here will you realize why pretty much every older house has a summer kitchen of sorts that's used exclusively in the summer so the house doesn't heat up.

Also also, could've bought a wok yesterday, but it was rather small (like a medium sized frying pan I guess) and felt somewhat light so I didn't really want to take a chance with that. You guys have any thoughts on woks?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 11, 2014, 03:44:03 am »

I don't know wok you're talking about.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1238 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:37 am »

I wonder what toast sandwiches would taste like.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 11, 2014, 04:52:14 am »

Pfft, people talking about health - taste is all that matters!

Tomato-and-cheese sandwiches are delicious. Take some toast, put sliced tomatoes on top, add salt, pepper and any other spices you like, then cover with cheese. Preferably gouda. Preferably old gouda. Like, so-old-it's-crunchy gouda.
Microwave until the cheese has melted. Done!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 11, 2014, 04:54:23 am »

I support the gouda-tomato sandwich. In my family, the traditional sandwich is toasted bread, olive oil, gouda, finely copped tomatoes and onions, pepper and aromat.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1241 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:43 am »

aromat.

Aromat is also glorious on popcorn.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1242 on: June 11, 2014, 05:02:33 am »

Pizza. The cheesy crust.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1243 on: June 11, 2014, 10:20:39 am »

Pfft, people talking about health - taste is all that matters!

Taste is all that matters until you hit the age when suddenly you start gaining a lot of weight really fast. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and still be healthy, which naturally I assumed was my own doing. Then all of a sudden, over the course of two weeks of eating pizza and fries and burgers and bacon, I gained so much weight that I couldn't button my pants anymore. And I didn't gain the weight evenly, either. All in my stomach, hips, butt, and thighs. My arms and face are still super-thin, but the middle of me looks like I must be wearing a fat suit. So from now on I'm skipping the junk food and cooking healthy stuff as much as possible. Not a diet (those don't work), it has to be a permanent lifestyle change. Snacks and greasy stuff every once in a while, but 90% of my food must be healthy.

Jesus, it wasn't long ago that I was listening to people a few years older than me complaining about suddenly gaining weight, and rolling my eyes. "Just get up and take a walk," I thought stupidly to myself. "It doesn't take much exercise to keep in shape." Not when you're 25, it doesn't. "As long as you don't eat too much of any one thing, you'll still be healthy." Unless your variety comes from various types of junk food. "It doesn't matter how much you weigh as long as you're healthy." Until your pants won't button!

Anyway, grumbling about aging aside (I just found my third gray hair!), yogurt is actually perfectly fine for lactose intolerant people. The bacteria in the yogurt digests the lactose for you. I already eat a huge bowl of yogurt with breakfast each day. Organic farmer's-style yogurt with a spoon of homemade fruit jam and another spoon of chia seeds. Yum. Can't eat that for every meal, though.

Made a pretty good salad last night. Shredded lettuce, Chinese cabbage, red cabbage, cucumber, carrot, mung bean sprouts, chives, and a big block of tofu sliced up small with a dressing from olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Yum yum. Made me gassy though.

It's raining now and the temperature is supposed to go down a lot tonight, so I think I'll boil up some dried black beans and throw them in the fridge for use for the next few days. Something different from tofu! So much tofu... I can have a cold burrito instead of a sandwich for a change...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

If you've got corn masa about, you can mix that with water for an interesting drink/meal. Needs some extra flavor, but it's not bad. You're basically drinking a tortilla. Vanilla extract, sweet spices and suchlike, jams or fresh fruit, peanut butter, or chocolate are all good add-ons.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 334