Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550361 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Arguing Soumantics
« Reply #1245 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:17 am »

So, soylent. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:19 am »

Yes, but without the various multivitamins and mineral powders that make it a safe thing to be the only thing you eat forever. :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1247 on: June 17, 2014, 12:36:22 am »

So. Last night's supper was roast beef (topside), roast potatoes, roast onion, and baby carrots, with near-unlimited mulled grapejuice (much like mulled wine, but with no alcohol). This was followed by chocolate pudding with custard and whipped cream, with dark roast coffee with cream. I still have a slice of fruit pudding waiting, as well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:19 pm »

I've been trying to branch out a little with the things I eat, and last week someone told me about parsnips.  I had never heard of them before, although I recognized them by description.  I'd have never thought that the funny big white carrots were sweet.

I learned a lot about them in a couple of days though.  First off, they're actually pretty good.  I roasted some with some lemon juice and salt, which made them taste a lot like raisins.  Second off, I learned that you must trim out the cores of bigger ones because they're bitter.  Third, I learned that deep frying them with sugar and cinnamon makes them taste almost identical to sweet potatoes.

I must experiment more with these.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »

That reminds me, I should post some of my adventures with sweet potatoes. One of the many benefits of living in North Carolina is that we produce metric shittons of sweet potatoes.
About 500,000 tons a year, to be specific. #1 in the country and 40% of all US sweet potatoes.

Which means I really have to come up with ways of eating them other than just baked with cinnamon and sugar. My ex-father-in-law had a recipe for bourbon mashed sweet potatoes with pecans that was to die for. I've also done roasted cubed sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with cayenne pepper.
I've been looking lately to Asia for some inspiration such as tong sui (sweet potato soup, made a dessert) and tempura sweet potatoes from Japan.

There's also a local distillery that has started making high-end sweet potato vodka that I need to try.

I know we have some members from Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines and that they have some unique sweet potato dishes there, so I'd love to hear feedback on those.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »

So, parsnips and sweet potatoes are on the list of things to try. Okay.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:42 pm »

Protip: Parsnips are typically sold covered in wax. You will either need to peel them, boil them briefly to get the wax to melt off, or be okay with what paraffin does to the texture of your meals (which is vaguely similar to butter with no nutrition or taste). Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on >______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »

Protip: Parsnips are typically sold covered in wax. You will either need to peel them, boil them briefly to get the wax to melt off, or be okay with what paraffin does to the texture of your meals (which is vaguely similar to butter with no nutrition or taste). Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on >______>

So it's like eating a giant crayon. Got it.  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »

I don't think these had wax on them, but I peeled them anyway since that was the #1 step on every recipe I read.  :)  The skin's bitter apparently.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:18 pm »

Bah! Peeling parsnips is like peeling carrots - it's silly. The skins taste fine, trust me (unless I was unwittingly buying them prepeeled or something).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1255 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »

What? I could literally go to a grocery store right now and buy a cartload of non-wax-coated parsnips. I could also eat them with the skins on in much the same was as carrots or potatoes or yams or whatever. Where do you live that treats vegetables like cheese?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 19, 2014, 11:41:05 pm »

I am wondering you guy's opinion on greasy foods.

I don't mean like French fries

I mean food where the grease is visible and dripping right off it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »

That's seriously gross, Neo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:45 pm »

Depends. Sometimes bacon and sausage, I'm cool with grease dripping.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 19, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »

Also, fries don't have to be greasy. Either bake them or deep fry them at 325 or higher, and they shouldn't be greasy at all.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 334