Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552597 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1125 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:45 am »

This is an awesome thread. I've taken over full on cooking duties in the house, in exchange for kitchen cleaning duties. I enjoy cooking, my wife hates it, I hate cleaning the kitchen, my wife doesn't mind. Problem solved. I'm hoping to really ramp up my cooking skills now.

I made Sloppy Joe Nachos last night. I've perfected the preparation of them so it doesn't take twice the time it should now. My kids ate all the Sloppy Joe part (gave them the chips and meat separately, to dip). Every time my kids eat what I made, it's like winning one of those food challenge shows.

Note: Sloppy Joe Nachos are the same as Sloppy Joes but on tortilla chips instead of a bun, that's all. And no, I don't use the canned stuff.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:55 pm »

Shrimp. I like shrimp. Shrimp is good.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:58 pm »

I really do wonder: how do you deep fry things?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 23, 2014, 09:58:44 pm »

Very carefully.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 23, 2014, 10:09:21 pm »

I really do wonder: how do you deep fry things?

Cook it in oil.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:23 pm »

How much oil at what temperature?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:30 pm »

Usually enough to submerge the item you are cooking, and how hot depends on what you're cooking. If your oil catches fire, you're doing it right wrong.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:03 pm »

IIRC, about 400 degrees is pretty typical. You want it hot, that much is certain, since the force of evaporating water is what keeps it from soaking up too much oil (and instead soaking up just the right amount). Although, to be fair, I wager you have to do things a bit differently if you're cooking something large, like an entire turkey - I'd expect the typical methods to burn the exterior while leaving the interior raw. In any case, you need to make sure your cooking vessel is much larger than the volume of oil, because if that fucker overflows, you are well and truly fucked. Especially if you were cooking it over a flame. A few people regularly kill themselves each year doing that, and a lot more burn their houses down, as if with the lemons.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 24, 2014, 03:18:11 am »

As many Belgian household, we actually have a dedicated deep fryer, looking a bit like that.

It's mostly used for french fries and croquettes, but it can fry anything. Usually we operate at about 180 °C for french fries and the like. Purist will tell you they actually need two cooking: first five minutes at 160°C and then a quick dip at 180°C to caramelize the outside. (A fist fip in hot water to soften them up is optional)

The fat is also important. You need to avoids oils that burn at those high temperature. Peanut oil works great for most use, olive oil is good too, but has more taste so doesn't work well with every preparation. The gold standard is actually beef fat. Delicious. Or if you want something even more fancy, geese or duck fat give amazing results, giving your fries that delicate taste.

tl;dr In Belgium, frying stuff is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1134 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:04 am »

I would imagine any supermarket would carry all of those things. They're pretty normal, standard veggies. Good luck!

#thirdworldproblems

I actually don't know what to blame (i.e. I'm not actually in an entirely third world country), but I've never seen zucchini or eggplant for sale fresh. It sucks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 24, 2014, 06:09:44 am »

400 degrees
If that's not Fahrenheit, I tip my hat to you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1136 on: April 24, 2014, 06:25:07 am »

400 degrees

And this, ladies and gents, is where Bauglir cooks chips over the fires of Hell. The souls of the damned enhance the flavour, and the intense heat ensure a rapid seal of the outer layers, for maximum crispiness and minimum grease.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:03 am »

Either that, or it's Kelvin and warm outside.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 24, 2014, 06:56:38 am »

For perfect fries, you want to cut the potatoes, shock them in cold water, blanch them for 1 1/2 minutes at 350f, shock them in cold water again, and store them. You can refrigerate for up to a week before you actually cook them. When it's time to cook them, they go in for 3 minutes at 350 again, 4 minutes for extra crisp. Then season. Cajun seasoning on fries is magical.

That's how we did it at a large chain of sports bars, anyway. Damn good fries. They over seasoned them, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:44 am »

400 degrees

And this, ladies and gents, is where Bauglir cooks chips over the fires of Hell. The souls of the damned enhance the flavour, and the intense heat ensure a rapid seal of the outer layers, for maximum crispiness and minimum grease.
Sadly, it was Fahrenheit. I forgot to specify, for I forgot that we have people on this forum who use a sensible temperature scale, unlike myself. I'd be surprised if there were an edible oil of any kind that wouldn't burn at that temperature in Celsius.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 334