Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552623 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1050 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:10 am »

For lunch today I am having some nice jack links teryaki beef jerky with some shrimp chips which are basicaly backed fries covered in ground up and dried shrimp.

(sorry for bad grammar but not sorry enough to fix it)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1051 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:19 am »

So it turns out that wild garlic (or "bear's garlic" as they call it here) is sold in stores in this country, and easily harvested in the countryside if you walk through the woods. I bought a package of the leaves today and oh my GOD do they taste amazing. So much flavor, and so much more complex and delicious than regular garlic bulbs. I guess that's pretty normal: wild versions of plants are as complex as the soil they're grown in and the centuries they've been growing there. Farmed foods are usually selected for one trait and all the depth is bred right out of them. I tried hydroponically-grown tomatoes once. They're fed just water and the basic nutrients they need to survive, and they taste like a mildly tomato-flavored glass of water. Blech.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 02, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

I wonder if anybody outside of post-Soviet territory has ever used a thing like this? Over here they're called toasters, but I suppose they're more like sandwich-makers. Absolutely awesome for breakfast snacks, even if all you've got is bread and cheese.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »

I wonder if anybody outside of post-Soviet territory has ever used a thing like this? Over here they're called toasters, but I suppose they're more like sandwich-makers. Absolutely awesome for breakfast snacks, even if all you've got is bread and cheese.

Sandwich toasters, except here you plug 'em in and they heat automatically.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »

Pretty sure we also have camping variants you heat over a fire, just like the ones in the image.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:03 pm »

We also have electric ones, but a lot of people have those unpowered variants. Here, we heat them on gas stoves, though I suppose one can take them camping, too.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 02, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »

I have an electric one and it makes ordinary ham and cheese sandviches taste like chiburekki.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 02, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »

I never seen a non-electric one, but the electric ones are pretty normal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 03, 2014, 04:52:21 am »

In Australia, we call them Jaffle irons (they make jaffles, obviously). Been around since the 70s, possibly as early as the 1920s in some places according to wikipedia.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1059 on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:21 am »

Got electric ones here; ours is referred to as a "Snackwich machine". They make anything between two slices of bread tasty.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 03, 2014, 08:32:47 am »

So my dad bought these tasty cake krimpet things which i think just taste like a delicious butterscotch flavored inside out twinky because its just sponge cake with frosting on top, mmmmm so delicious
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 03, 2014, 09:34:23 am »

We got a lot of them too, we call the resulting sandwiches "Croque Monsieur" or "Croque Madame" depending on the filling.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 03, 2014, 11:14:28 am »

We got a lot of them too, we call the resulting sandwiches "Croque Monsieur" or "Croque Madame" depending on the filling.

Heh, I read about this a while ago. Figured it is a great way to confuse someone by offering him a Croque Monsieur and giving him a grilled sammich.

But as far as sandwich toasters go, I prefer panini makers - you know, basically just two large electrically-heated plates of corrugated metal with one of them mounted on the base and the other you can lift and sandwich stuff you want to cook in between.

They let you make toasted sandwiches too (albeit they don't have the triangular shape), but also grill... pretty much anything else. For example, you can grill a chicken breast in like two minutes, and I like to cook my bacon on those for sandwiches (yummy, crispy bacon). It also works as an OK toaster for toaster bread.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 05, 2014, 07:43:51 am »

We got them too, of varying shapes and sizes, the current one we have is pretty much what scrdest described, except not that powerful, so most you can make is toasted sandwiches and bread (which is great if you've got a day old bread and don't want to waste it, makes it much more edible).

Anways, Burger Bonanza Funtimes 2 is going live as we speak. Waiting for the meat to settle before frying it. This time it's pure beef, I've used more bread crumbs and added some chopped onions into it, so we'll see how that goes. Also instead of bacon I'll be using cheese as a topping this time, got some nice sliced gouda. Maybe even add some mustard for added fun.  Also the paddies are slightly bigger now since I made four instead of five, and hopefully they fit the Kaiser rolls I got, which aren't too big, but served me nicely last time.

In any case, I've got some beer to go along with it all, so I should have a good time regardless of the results :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 05, 2014, 10:51:08 am »

Did someone say toasted sandwiches?
I absolutely love those things. I've got a really old sandwich toaster (I wouldn't be far off if I said it's almost as old as me) but it's been doing me much good for when I fancy some good, crispy cheese&ham sammiches.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 334