Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: horse trading?  (Read 5227 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
horse trading?
« on: April 06, 2012, 06:21:29 pm »

I don't usually start butchering until year 3 or so and was wondering what I could do with the large animals that came with the wagon.  Can I breed them and then sell off the offspring?  Would I need to put them in cages first?  Would this work for cats and bunnies too?  What would happen if I sold someone's pet (is this even possible)?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: horse trading?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »

They'd need to be in cages, and pets cannot be caged.  The [PETVALUE:X] determines how valuable they are to trade.

In the newest version, I think wild animals may be tradable as well.  Perhaps goblins.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:35:03 pm »

woah woah woah woah.

We can move cages to the Depot without the creatures automatically being let out now? Since when?

time to inflict cat x100000 upon the elves.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »

It's recent, I'm not sure if it actually works.

Either way, there's a trick to putting a cage on the depot, which means it won't get hauled and thus the animal won't escape.  You can dump the cage into a garbage zone which is on top of the depot, or you can build the cage into a 1x1 cubbyhole in the wall and deconstruct it, causing it to "pop out" and land on the depot.  When a dwarf tries to haul it, they'll walk over to it, and then leave it, because it's already on the depot.

Goblins have been traded using this method.  You just have to make sure the cage is atop the depot before you assign it to be traded.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »

Wait until year three and butcher all the horses that you have at that point.

Living creatures don't have a quality level attached to them.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »

Living creatures don't have a quality level attached to them.
Bone crafts and prepared meals do.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »

Bone crafts and prepared meals do.

There is a kind of morbid beauty in that everything in Dwarf Fortress is more valuable dead than alive.

It makes me feel all tingly inside.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:53:27 pm by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 07:31:14 pm »

In my current community fort, I have successfully traded semi-trained giant animals to the trade caravans.  I don't know if it's possible to trade completely wild animals yet, but trained and tame ones should work fine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:02:39 am »

Could you use webbed traps to cage and sell pets?  Would the owner suffer an unhappy thought?  Maybe you could even use this method to sell stray dwarven children.  Perhaps we could supply the elven meat industry with fine quality dwarf veal (contained in nickle cages, of course).

LurchyMcSmokins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:07:34 am »

I can safely say, anything in a cage may be traded, altho the value of such a trade, might not be worthwhile. i remember selling wild animals to a trader, and getting very little tacked on to the cage value.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:14:48 am »

Could you use webbed traps to cage and sell pets?  Would the owner suffer an unhappy thought?  Maybe you could even use this method to sell stray dwarven children.  Perhaps we could supply the elven meat industry with fine quality dwarf veal (contained in nickle cages, of course).
my experiences with playing as goblins tells me this may qualify as "abduction".
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:43 am »

They'd need to be in cages, and pets cannot be caged.  The [PETVALUE:X] determines how valuable they are to trade.

In the newest version, I think wild animals may be tradable as well.  Perhaps goblins.

Caged greenskins should be striped of their belongings and used for military training and trap-testing!
No - real Dwarf gives away his Spoils when he can run his own Colosseum!!!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

my experiences with playing as goblins tells me this may qualify as "abduction".

And?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:58:18 am »

Better yet, you can fill the hospital's ICU ward with cage traps.
Let the Elves be torn apart by the vengeful ghosts, and save yourself the trouble of tombs and slabs.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:53 am »

And?
That dictates how the dwarves' thoughts get influenced by such removals. As I recall, dwarven parents don't give a damn when their children are abducted.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2 3