Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51862 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

To me Shadowrun is the kind of game where the mechanics were always better suited to a video game, because there were so many of them at the dice-rolling level.

I think what has me excited so much about this is: a) it's the original dev who I think is probably qualified to decide how to adapt the PnP to a video game and b) he's made several games from my childhood that I absolutely adore.

So really all the cumbersome rules of Shadowrun becomes a plus here, if they're in the hands of people who know how to plug it in to code in a smart way. Sort of like how NWN managed to wed 3rd Ed. D&D rules to a video game by just having the dice results print to a text box....I can see SR benefiting from the same kind of treatment.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:38:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 06:49:15 pm »

Also as an aside....I see a lot of you seem to have not played the SEGA Shadowrun? Believe me when I say it's worth the money, and it's closer to the table top Shadowrun than the SNES by far.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 07:22:50 pm »

Also as an aside....I see a lot of you seem to have not played the SEGA Shadowrun? Believe me when I say it's worth the money, and it's closer to the table top Shadowrun than the SNES by far.

Hmm.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  I have a hard time believing it would be more fun than the SNES one, but I'll try anything once.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 07:32:29 pm »

Yeah, the Sega one is more true to the rules than the SNES one.  It''s also (IMO) not nearly as fun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 07:40:20 pm »

Really? I preferred the open-world approach to the SNES version, which is basically on rails as far as where you can go or what you can do most of the time. Plus, you actually do runs, as opposed to picking up the pieces of stuff long past in the SNES version.

Combat in the Sega is better too IMO. Not great, but still better than standing stock-still and trading 30 bullets with someone. The SNES one might have a better constructed story though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:41:52 pm by nenjin »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »

I'm soooo gonna vote for San Francisco if the game reaches one million.

I think it'd allow them to reuse a lot of the elements of Seattle, while still giving you a very different city. Plus, I always dug Cali Free State.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 12:24:38 am »

I played them both, which was the one where you start in the underground area? That was the best one IMO, more of an open world if I am recalling correctly.
I got nothing

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 03:28:30 am »

The SEGA Shadowrun was my favorite as well. Didn't find the SNES version nearly as appealing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:12 am »

SEGA one for me too way more open in fact, was the first open-end game i ever played, simply had the freedom to go anywhere, also funniest thing, its on that game i started learning english, wich was basic keyword such as kill, renraku, ares, matrix, hack, alert etc hahaha
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:02 pm »

$970,299 as of right now.

They've posted a World of Shadowrun Primer if folks want to read about the world straight from the tattooed Spirit Horse's mouth. Clicky the image below for it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:58:18 am by nenjin »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 01:37:50 am »

$970,299 as of right now.

They've posted a World of Shadowrun Primer if folks want to read about the world straight from the tattooed Spirit Horse's mouth. Clicky the image below for it.

Link broken you got one http: too much
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 03:50:30 am »

I want what this guy promises. Unfortunately, I don't have any more e-money, and I have it reserved it for something else when I do get it.

Too bad.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 07:16:24 am »

Just want to say thanks for posting about this.  Have heard of kickstarter before, but wouldn't have considered supporting anything until I saw this.  The promise of this game is quite fantastic, and this idea of paying for development upfront is totally cool for developers you (feel) you can trust.  Also I'm really happy that at least a few of these devs seem to be supporting linux, good to see more plurality in dev target audiences (I can't abide platform exclusives).  Aside from Dwarf Fortress I don't think I've been more excited about *buying* a game (as opposed to playing, which I'm always excited about) since, oh, 1992.  Did I mention how cool it is you get bonus stuff?  Suddenly I feel a whole lot more optimistic about the future of the gaming.  Let's just hope they deliver ;)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

$1 million baby yeah!

Here's some snippets of gameplay info they're focusing on:

Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns (for Apple & Android tablets and PCs) is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time. A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.

One of the many innovations in Data East’s Shadowrun Super Nintendo game was a unique conversation engine that opened up new avenues of conversation based upon information you learned through interactions with characters and objects. We intend on taking a similar path with a new twist or two.

Four realities overlap in the world of Shadowrun (the Physical, the Digital, the Mystic, and the Astral) and associated character classes such as the Street Samurai, Hacker, Combat Mage, and Shaman, each have the ability to view and interact with the world in ways the others can’t.

Street Samurai see a threat assessment overlay of the environment that notes enemy appraisals, options for cover, potential weapons, and statistics for drawn weapons.

Combat Mages see magical auras, granting them the ability to locate magical items, identify spells being prepared, and find the intersections of magic lay lines where they can recharge their power.

Hackers/Deckers see the digital control circuitry that allows them to manipulate the physical world via the digital one.

Shaman see the “true world” that lies in the astral plane, distinguishing the true nature of people, plants, creatures, and magical objects while buildings and other “dead” objects appear as mere shadows.

Missions (aka "Runs") in Shadowrun Returns can require interaction with all four realities simultaneously, requiring you to use information learned from each character’s perspective to coordinate their context-sensitive actions to get the job done. . . and survive.

...we plan to release our PC-based level editor when we release Shadowrun Returns so that everyone can create their own Shadowrun stories & “runs”. When you upload your stories, you can make them available to your Friends Only or the entire Shadowrun community.

And now hear this.....

Quote from: Jordan Weisman
If we hit $1.5 million dollars, we will create a backers-only special mission which ties together the stories of the SNES and SEGA versions. That's right, Jake is back and so is Har'lea'quinn.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:22:04 pm by nenjin »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

Welp.  Guess I'm supporting.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27