Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733317 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:34 pm »

......oh.

Never noticed.  :D

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2012, 06:07:21 am »

Updated the smaller sprites.  As mentioned earlier, 128x128 will probably be the new standard, so that's the size I've updated with.  That should reduce video memory consumption by a factor of 4, so it should fix the problems people are having with large textures as well.  (here is the update)

Let me know if that ends up still being too big.

It displays properly, but Stonesense froze up on me when I attempted to take a screenshot.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Dervish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2012, 07:49:23 am »

Here's what I'm up to so far. I scaled down to 128.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I need to redo my wood textures to better differentiate them from the metal, and apply my new stone tex to the meshes I've already done, but I think what I have done now looks good.

Those 3 sad looking things by the coffin are the waterskin vial and flask. I thought they would be better smaller, due to the smaller capacity, but you can't even see em. I'll scale em up.

Yeah, and is this how ash and tin glaze should look?

Dervish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

Also, what are the color limits per tile? I can do 256 easy, but there's no way I could do 16.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2012, 11:58:12 am »

Looking really sharp there! Love the decoration on the benches and chests!

I don't think there are color limitations right yet. Also, remember that strange mood beds and such can be made out of odd materials, like stone beds, bone thrones, etc. Also also, for some extremely common objects or items, it might be neat to have some slight variations; more drawers, slightly irregular shape, etc.

** CODING QUEARY: Can we read the quality of constructed furniture yet? Might be neat to have a Shoddy Tier, Moderate Tier, and Fancy Tier for certain furniture objects too. Shoddy being crude and undecorated, Moderate being of good quality and/or slightly decorated, and Fancy being ornate and solidly made. I think one for every DF quality level is a bit much, but hypothetically that could be nice for the simulationists too.

The round stones look a bit small, and a bit too processed. Quarried stone tends to be large irregular cobblestones or huge carven chunks; a pile of cobbles or solid chunk that looks substantial enough to be able to build an object or wall would be spiffing. I'd even suggest differentiating some of the stone types; some piles of layered chunks of foliate sedimentary rock, irregular chunks of lumpy igneous basaltic stone, and maybe 1 or 2 others, depending on how the terrain tiles themselves end up looking. Also, wooden logs for raw wood, and wood planks for wood blocks, maybe in a few different stack styles, would work as well... basically something to break up the monotony of stockpiles so it looks like an actual storeroom, and that makes the materials look substantial enough to be able to build the things they build.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:06:56 pm by Solifuge »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »

we can read the quality, but it's not used yet.

As for the 3d items there, the color-able ones should be a lighter grey, nearly white, with needed highlights going onto a second layer (there's a way to do this automatically from these, so it's no biggie)

As it is right now, they will be too dark when colored.

Also, you have a bit too much smoothing on there. for manmade things, some sharp corners are okay.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »

Dervish: I'd just like to say I preferred the dresser with the outlines, as I think it fits in with the rest of the cartoony/watercolory scenery going on in this thread. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

Yeah, it could use some less smoothing, and I actually preferred the outlines as well. Also, try to make the items look more like icons. As long as it isn't furniture, it's okay if it's way out of proportion. The pots, barrels and bins for example should be a good deal bigger. Another thing, beehives look different depending on the material it's made of. Look at the pixelart sprites for reference.

About the error messages that stonesense gives in the dfhack terminal:
The craftsdwarf's workshop has this because toady changed the spelling on craftsdwarf. Same thing with shop and blue print. However, because those later two can't be tested(they've been removed from the game for now), can't we just disable the access in the index.txt for now?

I made some basic tracks-stuff. I think we'll need to have tracks for ramps as well as rollers added to it, but I haven't had the time to make those yet. Should I do the rollers seperately, so they can be added on top of the build-track and carved track? Or just make combination tiles for both? Also, I now have two diagonal minecarts, should there be side-view minecarts and front-view minecarts? In that case, should be also have one of each direction for ramps? Or would this be of no use?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

Actually, I just thought of something, as well...

Proportionally, the cabinets probably shouldn't be dominating the whole tile.  A single drawer of those dressers basically takes up the same amount of space as the whole bed mattress.  Cabinets that are a size that allows a dwarf to stand in the same tile with it make more sense for the game, since they will be standing in the same tile as the cabinet.  If they can be off to a side of the tile (and be a little thinner) where they would look like they are sliding up to a wall if there is one, and leave room for those dwarves to stand beside them, it would look more in-place. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

Updated the smaller sprites.  As mentioned earlier, 128x128 will probably be the new standard, so that's the size I've updated with.  That should reduce video memory consumption by a factor of 4, so it should fix the problems people are having with large textures as well.  (here is the update)

It displays properly, but Stonesense froze up on me when I attempted to take a screenshot.
Out of curiosity, how big is your ram?
If you go into the creatures folder, and open up the index.txt, there's a line at the top saying large_256/index.txt(or something like that), put a '#' in front of it to disable the large dwarves. Check if stonesense can take screenshots without freezing up.

If that does work, it means it's indeed the large size that isn't good, if not, there's something else gong on.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »

Out of curiosity, how big is your ram?
If you go into the creatures folder, and open up the index.txt, there's a line at the top saying large_256/index.txt(or something like that), put a '#' in front of it to disable the large dwarves. Check if stonesense can take screenshots without freezing up.

If that does work, it means it's indeed the large size that isn't good, if not, there's something else gong on.

I only have 1 gig of ram, so that's probably where the problems are coming from.

Stonesense does take screenshots with the older dwarves just fine.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »

Yeah, well, that just meanst that the pixelart should always be the standard version. At the least, for the coming few years.

Speaking of which:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some early tracks in action. Stuff's still messed up a little, but that's what testing's for. Wheelbarrows and minecarts are visible. I also changed around the barrels, pots and bins for larger variations, as I though the original ones were a tad small(espcially considering what you can put in a barrel)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »

I think the tracks should be narrower - they look like they're going inside the wall.

Completely unrelated, but it's nice to see people are acutally using those profession icons... are there any critiques on them?  (I know I haven't worked on those job icons in a while... sorry...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dark Messiah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:13 am »

Hello. Please tell me how to run stonesense. I run DF, write to the console stonesense, but nothing happens :(  Win7 x64
http://gifok.net/images/geC.png

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2012, 04:40:36 am »

Stonesense won't show anything unless you have a map loaded.  Start up a fort or go on an adventure and it should work properly :)
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 85