Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249957 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1185 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:53 am »

Of course, that's not making skilled miners better, just making novice miners worse.  I support the decision, though, and wish he would also make loose stone an impediment to further work, but I understand that would be extremely annoying and confusing to newbies.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 04, 2012, 03:53:29 am »

Toady has clarified what he meant in the devlog:
I didn't like the weird clunky metagame surrounding mining skill, so I made the drop rates uniform.  Gems drop at 100%.  Ore drops like rock, but you get more bars per ore now.  Stone drop is 25% now, I think, but the ore change makes it closer to legendary bar numbers for those.  There seems to be plenty of rock around, and I'm not sure which megaprojects would actually be affected, but we'll see how that goes.
I guess that means ore gives 3-4 bars per rock now instead. Does this apply to strand extraction too though?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 04, 2012, 06:32:26 am »

I wonder what the "clunky metagame" is?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:47 am »

Presumably the 'Use novice miners to clear out certain sections because they don't leave useless crap behind' game.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1189 on: May 04, 2012, 07:18:31 am »

I never even heard of it until this thread.  But with the clarification we now know what "intermittent" means.  It means that instead of my legendary miners getting 100% yields, they will only get 25%.  Not everything is about bars of metal.  Some of us want specific rocks for building.

Addition: And what about flux?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:22:50 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 04, 2012, 08:34:10 am »

I've got a horrible/excited* feeling that raw boulders are going to be made unusable for building/flux/smelting and they'll have to be converted to bars first.

* - genuinely can't decide which it is.  It would be more realistic (even drystone walls used some shaping fo the stone), but more work at the outset - taking a skilled mason will be essential.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1191 on: May 04, 2012, 09:31:09 am »

I've got a horrible/excited* feeling that raw boulders are going to be made unusable for building/flux/smelting and they'll have to be converted to bars first.

* - genuinely can't decide which it is.  It would be more realistic (even drystone walls used some shaping fo the stone), but more work at the outset - taking a skilled mason will be essential.
You'd have to take along a stone block, at the least, or you couldn't build a mason's workshop.  I suppose he could be heading that way.  Has there been any indication that this is the case in the talks?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 04, 2012, 09:58:10 am »

I'm honestly not feeling good about this flat 25% boulder drop rate. I NEED the massive loads of stone my legendary miners drop to fuel my construction projects and industrial demand. Having to mine out nearly 3 times as much space to get the same material load is really going to hurt early on after embark, when you need as much free material as possible to work with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:15 am »

Everyone is stuck thinking the only changes that will happen (before release) are those that are explicitly stated in the devlog. Toady's FotF post confirms my suspicions: fewer, BIGGER rocks. That means LOTS of bars per "ore rock" and presumably, LOTS of stone blocks per rock (we can certainly mod that if he doesn't do that natively). Same with flux - one "iron ore" rock and one "flux" rock = LOTS of pig iron bars. That or there'll be a "break up the flux rock into usable chunks" job. If we don't like what Toady gives us, these are easy to rewrite in the raws.

tl;dr: 25% boulder drop rate makes for a very easy balance fix of "4 blocks per 1 boulder".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:06 am »

tl;dr: 25% boulder drop rate makes for a very easy balance fix of "4 blocks per 1 boulder".

That makes blocks much more valuable than they were before, since this I've only built my walls from the rocks themselves. Any confirmation on furniture and mechanisms?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:55 am »

Well, that will make my bedroom clearing easier. Now I can just dump the stuff in the hall and have it hauled away that way.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 04, 2012, 11:24:41 am »

If we get four blocks per stone (even through modding), then I think this would be a huge improvement. Megaprojects aren't harmed in any real way, and you'd have to plan your trading more carefully; no more just buying out caravans with hoards of rock crafts and mechanisms, which has always struck me as rather unsatisfying.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1197 on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:21 am »

Why are rock crafts any worse than prepared meals?  At least it's Dwarfy to make toy boats from rock.   :P

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 04, 2012, 11:49:42 am »

because you realize the trade depot of your mega project has turned into the gift shop for elf tourists.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1199 on: May 04, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »

So you'd rather be known as a cafeteria for elf tourists?   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 95