Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249950 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1215 on: May 05, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »

Why are rock crafts any worse than prepared meals?  At least it's Dwarfy to make toy boats from rock.   :P

The main issue is that it's a little silly because the traders don't take supply and demand into account much. A masterwork toy boat or three could probably get a good price. But by the end of the third year every human child has twenty rock boats and they still will pay out their ass for them. In Dwarf Fortress, all of humanity is made up of obsessive hoarders that will pay any price to increase their collection of useless shit.
Supply and demand isn't only broken for stone crafts/instruments/toys/mugs, though, so why single out those?  One could equally well ask why they want hundreds of pieces of silk clothing spattered with goblin blood, in a size that doesn't even fit them.  Maybe they are running a distribution center for the entire world.  You only trade with one civilization.  Presumably they trade your goods onward.  "Exotic goods from the fabled fortress of Coppercages.  Going fast, get yours while they last.  Special pricing on bin quantities."  Think of your fortress as the China of their world.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 05, 2012, 07:10:57 pm »

"Exotic goods from the fabled fortress of Coppercages.  Going fast, get yours while they last.  Special pricing on bin quantities."  Think of your fortress as the China of their world.   :D

I'm a bit curious now if the caravan arc will include artifacts being trade able. imagine buying an artifact you made in dwarf mode at some human settlement across the map, and being able to see in legends:

statue-mc-urist was a elf bone sword created by urist mcstrange-mood in the dwarf of toad in 489

statue-mc-urist was traded to the cuddly wood in 490

the cuddly wood traded statue-mc-urist to the easyto entertain in 500

the easyto entertain began worshiping statue-mc-urist in 505

statue-mc-urist was lost in a siege at shinyshiny a temple in the easyto entertain in 905

statue-mc-urist was recovered by johnsmith mchuman in an expedition in 987

statue-mc-urist was sold to the greedy-elfs  in 987

urist mcadventurer bought statue-mc-urist in bags-o-money in 1030
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:20:28 pm by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 05, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »

"Exotic goods from the fabled fortress of Coppercages.  Going fast, get yours while they last.  Special pricing on bin quantities."  Think of your fortress as the China of their world.   :D

I'm a bit curious now if the caravan arc will include artifacts being trade able. imagine buying an artifact you made in dwarf mode at some human settlement across the map, and being able to see in legends:

statue-mc-urist was a elf bone sword created by urist mcstrange-mood in the dwarf of toad in 489

statue-mc-urist was traded to the cuddly wood in 490

the cuddly wood traded statue-mc-urist to the easyto entertain in 500

the easyto entertain began worshiping statue-mc-urist in 505

statue-mc-urist was lost in a siege at shinyshiny a temple in the easyto entertain in 905

statue-mc-urist was recovered by johnsmith mchuman in an expedition in 987

statue-mc-urist was sold to the greedy-elfs  in 987

urist mcadventurer bought statue-mc-urist in bags-o-money in 1030

Urist mcStrang-mood tantrums at the thought of elves owning his work of art
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:27 pm »

Unless you're just on some sort of quest to increase your exported wealth to ludicrous numbers by giving away hundreds of bins of crafts to merchants, and are employing a significant fraction of the population in the production of fine crafts, you probably aren't saturating many markets.   I always aim to give the merchants a ~300% profit ratio and buy anything that takes my fancy, and never need more than two export goods makers, and one of them is usually a jeweler.  I don't make steel serrated disks or anything, usually just fine craftwork out of not very valuable but decent materials (copper, nickel, unused economic stones) and maybe some silver mechanisms if the merchants show up and I suddenly realize I don't have any export goods on hand, and I never have to give away more than maybe 300 items a year, and that's only if I let my requests of the merchants get out of hand.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:10 am »

I give steel weaponry to humans, since they're bros. Useless gold goes to elves.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

bucketHoolave

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:10 am »

What I would like to see, is for mine cart stops to have the option to dump the contents of the cart.

The squares next to the stop could be designated as a normal dump.  However, dump tiles would receive a maximum capacity. 

Should the maximum capacity be reached, the items are stored inside a container.

This container is called rubbish.

Rubbish behaves like a liquid.

This liquid grows the more you dump into it.

The larger the rubbish pile, the longer it takes to find the item you were looking for in the rubbish pile, so the arger the pile, the longer it takes a dwarf to retrieve it from the pile.

Also, wear and tear are not calculated on the items in rubbish until they are retrieved.  Once retrieved, they are assigned wear, and there is a random chance that it will be broken.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 06, 2012, 05:21:15 am »

In conjunction to my sig: It must be tested whether or not a projectile cart can leave the map under any circumstances.
Then try sending every dwarf sailing off in an ark and see if fort crumbles...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 06, 2012, 07:56:26 am »

In conjunction to my sig: It must be tested whether or not a projectile cart can leave the map under any circumstances.
Most likely the game will class the dwarves as stolen and forget to mark them dead.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54:03 am »

Most likely the game will class the dwarves as stolen and forget to mark them dead.

Announcement: A minecart thief has stolen two Dwarves!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 06, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »

A kidnapper has made off with Urist!
A kidnapper has made off with Bomrek!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:03 pm »

Quick question? What happens to a dwarf that gets pushed off the map? Whether it be a blow from a large creature, a drawbridge catapult, or flowing water?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 06, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

Nothing happens because it doesn't happen.  A flying dwarf hits an invisible wall and doesn't go off the map.  Currently, the only way to take something off the map is to have a merchant, kidnapper or thief take it off the map.  I'm pretty sure that rivers can't wash things off map either.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 07, 2012, 12:41:04 am »

A kidnapper has made off with Urist!
A kidnapper has made off with Bomrek!

Ah. Yes. Kidnapper... Right. XD I was going off of the whole "marked as stolen" thing meaning it was a thief.

But your English makes more sense.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:39 pm »

I wonder what the max speed would be.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

I wonder what the max speed would be.
It is relative to the size of your ramp.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 95