Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249974 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1170 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:46 pm »

He didn't jump out because of squad confusion, he dodged.  However, right before the apex of his Jump of Awesome, toady activated his squad.  He didn't bail out of the cart to reevaluate his priorities, so presumably our marksdwarves won't either.  I don't think it will be that much trouble, micromanagement wise, to get them into the carts for the first round.  The annoying part is that you would have to repeat that every time you want them to reload.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:54 am »

Toady One Dwarves move a bit slower now carrying heavy objects, and I've started updating volume numbers. Next up wheelbarrows will be used to mitigate this early on or for people that don't want to tackle minecarts yet. They'll likely be associated to piles in some way to keep them from getting too scattered or concentrated. I've dropped skill-based mining drop rates for the time being. I'm not sure there will be other mining changes for this release. I don't yet see a way to make something like rubble or different sizes of rocks a net positive for the game, so I'm just going to stick with the larger intermittent boulders for now to keep things moving.

looks like the default hauling has been nerfed so it's more difficult to haul without minecarts or wheel barrows.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:07 am »

Well that could potentially make it worthwhile to mine-cart your ore from long veins, but probably not the stone from your bedrooms.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 03, 2012, 02:25:38 am »

He didn't bail out of the cart to reevaluate his priorities

I think it only works that way if you believe in reincarnation.

Well that could potentially make it worthwhile to mine-cart your ore from long veins, but probably not the stone from your bedrooms.

Yup. That's what the wheelbarrows are for. I wonder if the wheelbarrows will be taken by Dwarves looking to pick up wounded soldiers? Dwarven Ambulance!
I just had this image of, in the final moments of repelling a siege, a huge bridge dropping down and hundreds of dwarves with flashing lights on their heads and white wheelbarrows pouring out to grab the wounded.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 03, 2012, 04:27:10 am »

big beast in a cage, awfully heavy. Better bring a wheelbarrow. It's still ridiculous.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:42 am »

I wonder what the chance of a boulder is set at?  I hope it's 100%, so that mining rare gems/ore isn't a luck based mission now.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 03, 2012, 08:48:35 am »

I wonder what the chance of a boulder is set at?  I hope it's 100%, so that mining rare gems/ore isn't a luck based mission now.
Christ, I guess I'll have to turn temperature off then.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1177 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:00 am »

This was my question exactly.  I guess we can always keep using DFHack to refill the veins if it's set at less than 100%.  I'd rather use my legendary miners for that purpose, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:06 am »

This was my question exactly.  I guess we can always keep using DFHack to refill the veins if it's set at less than 100%.  I'd rather use my legendary miners for that purpose, though.

Or, you could dig deeper, which appears to be the intended solution.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:52 am »

Toady said it may be difficult to make our millitary ride minecarts.  Perhaps off duty millitary could be persuaded to use a cart to haul some bolts, and then en route they get put back on active duty and get their cart sent out to the entrance hall track?  Activating them will cancel their haul job, so I suppose they might get confused and jump out of the cart.  Toady said they shouldn't, but he might not have tested that particular circumstance.
No, this is the exact scenario he tested for that one devlog post. Result: it works. It's a big micromanagement overhead though, so perhaps not feasible en-masse.
From reading the log, it wasn't that they got confused and jumped off, it was that the dorf dodged the gobbos punch, and when he dodged he landed on the ledge with the gobbo. Otherwise he should have stayed in.
Ah yes, I see I misread Sadrice's exact wording before using the word 'exact'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1180 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:10 am »

Where did he say that?  *curious look*
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 03, 2012, 07:19:58 pm »

So now there's a valid reason to stripmine?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 03, 2012, 07:22:47 pm »

Rock, despite what people think, is a limited resource.  Especially veins and clusters.  We currently train up miners for two reason:  speed and rock percentage.  Many people train their miners up to legendary before going after ores and gems, especially if there's not much of one type on their map.

If the chance of rocks is a set amount that's lower than 100%, you're going to loose a percentage of the veins, and clusters become annoying.  If it's set for, say 75%, that mean you'll loose a quarter of the material mined.  Those veins are now even smaller than they were, and clusters, especially the single valuable gems in some clusters, have a 25% chance of vanishing when you mine them.

There's a reason that adamantine is currently set to 100% drop when mined.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:27:51 pm by Drawde »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 03, 2012, 07:43:01 pm »

I interepereted "I've dropped skill based mining drop rates for the time being" to mean that skill no longer makes a difference, 100% for everyone.  This would keep people from using low skilled miners to avoid needing carts to carry the boulders.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »

This means highly skilled miners will be better for every situation because they work faster. Using dabbling and novice miners to dig out bedrooms with very few stones left behind will be a thing of the past.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 95