Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940532 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15210 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:10 am »

(Being in that suit probably saved your life, yeah. If you weren't there would be a few rolls to deal with and chances are, some shrapnel would have hit you. And once it hit you and the suit was compromised and the heat could get in..well...you'd be extra crispy style anton.)

You mercifully stay asleep for now. Mercifully because if you were awake you'd realize you're about to be mechanically hobbled and spend the rest of your time here skipping instead of walking.
((Hooray for sound tactical decisions with horrible unintended consequences! :D

Also, no. A regular person would be horrified and broken, at least initially, by the prospect. A regular HMRC recruit would be highly upset, then sigh, ask the doc to do what he can, and try to be as useful as possible. An HMRC recruit technician who has resigned to the life in the meatgrinder and has a penchant for robots? He's going to offer options.))

Wake up with the force of a thousand morning coffees before somebody does something irreplaceable to those prosthetics.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15211 on: July 17, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »

"We could always shoot it."  Lars pats his rifle for emphasis.  "It doesn't seem to care right now as long as we're not too close.  Any rocks we could throw into the deathzone?"

Look for a good rock to throw past it into the area it appears to be "guarding."  Give it a toss if so (after approaching closer to the "death zone" line to make such a throw possible), but be ready to run.  Ponder what it could be doing.

"Uh, slight problem in medbay. Anton's leg got cut off a bit too far up for this thing to work right. As is he's gonna wobble like an uneven table. Also He'll have no knee."

((Clearly you just need to shorten the other leg.))
(Thats what a 1 med would have gotten him.)

You tip toe closer and grab stone. You toss it up and down a few times in your hand to get a feel for it's weight before hurling it toward the black thing. It flies off a bit toward the left and, as it passes the black mass, is sliced into 4 even sections. You don't even see what does it.

((Miyamoto? Summer camp.

But the base repair! So. Many. Overrolls. Ha ha ha ha ha!))

"Shoot it? No. What we have from it so far, is follows a very predictable behavior, albeit with supernatural capabilities. It reacted when I entered it's "zone," and has done nothing since then. The creators seem not to have blessed it with supreme intellect, but I would worry about triggering a self-defence mechanism.

To put in human words, it may attack us when we shoot it. If we're going to attack it, there is no point to doing so without superior firepower. Poking it with laser rifle is probably not going to be enough. Also, I am not sure that the thing we see actually fully exists in front of us, it transposed to us completely instantaneously from the center of the zone. There must be something that allows it to appear and disappear. Perhaps it's core exists in a different dimension entirely, and this is just an outer image of it?

Anyway, this is all just speculation. I don't know a thing about it, and aliens are not my forte. But I don't have a problem with shooting something past it, be it a rock or a drone."
(You want to throw a rock more than 50 meters ahead of you? Because you will probably have to get near to the thing to do so. Just letting you know.)

Take out my map. Make a circle where I have estimated the thing to have sat originally when we saw it. Then measure the distance from us to the farthest ring on that circle. Use that as a radius for the "Death Zone," and now using it trace a much bigger circle. And then trace half-a subxes of error around that. Actually I'll just make a map with instructions after I post this.

Update: Here it is. ((Is it explanatory enough, or should I do labels, and cut the stuff I am not using? Click on the Zoom in, then on the View Original buttons: http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Horrible_illustrations_for_ER/media/ERMapradius_zps4daabde6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I hope the stuff I actually get as a result is more focused. And uses a better color scheme.))
Updated main map. Uses the hexes, but is pretty much the same.

((Actually, I posted just two turns ago. But anyway, time to explore.))

Gather my supplies/gear and head back out through the white dome hex, to where I can see the surrounding hexes. Stay on my guard, and rock-throw if I'm on unexplored ground.

Hmm. Well, according to the map getting there without moving through an anomalous hex is gonna be a hell of a trip. You're gonna have to go in almost the exact opposite direction for a while before turning back and heading toward the domes. It's gonna take time, Days even, just to get there one way.

(Being in that suit probably saved your life, yeah. If you weren't there would be a few rolls to deal with and chances are, some shrapnel would have hit you. And once it hit you and the suit was compromised and the heat could get in..well...you'd be extra crispy style anton.)

You mercifully stay asleep for now. Mercifully because if you were awake you'd realize you're about to be mechanically hobbled and spend the rest of your time here skipping instead of walking.
((Hooray for sound tactical decisions with horrible unintended consequences! :D

Also, no. A regular person would be horrified and broken, at least initially, by the prospect. A regular HMRC recruit would be highly upset, then sigh, ask the doc to do what he can, and try to be as useful as possible. An HMRC recruit technician who has resigned to the life in the meatgrinder and has a penchant for robots? He's going to offer options.))

Wake up with the force of a thousand morning coffees before somebody does something irreplaceable to those prosthetics.

"AHHHHHHH MALPRACTICE LAW SUIT! Wait, where am I?"

You look around.

You see mesk, standing over you with prosthetic parts in his hands and a contemplative look on his face.

"Gently." he mutters before repeatedly banging the pieces together like a monkey with symbols.

"Uh, mesk I don't think thats..."

"QUIET! I AM DOING A MEDICINE!"

See if there's a left knee I can use, and whether it would fit properly.  If it wouldn't cause too much of a problem, use it.
Anton, like most of your patients, wakes up before the procedure can even really begin and starts complaining and protesting.  He's worse then those kidney transplant kids. Ooooh I didn't sign up for this, ooooh who are you and why am I in this tub of ice. Complainers, the lot of them.

"Damn. All the rocks are cemented to the ground. Also heavy. Gonna need some robro's to help."

Head back to garage and grab a hammer, then head back and start hammering at the thinner stone gluing the boulders to the ground.

You grab the biggest hammer you can find and head back outside to smash up the rock coating. It's easy enough, the rock is brittle and the hammer's weight alone is more then enough, but it's still a tiring process.
[end:3+1] You smash up pretty much all the stone you need to. There's bits and pieces left here and there but nothing that lukas couldn't brush away with one hand.

Go find someone who needs help fixing something.
Hmm..well you're good at aux and freaking terrible at handiwork. So you're probably in the garage, giving pointers to bishop about how to fix Lukas. So thats where you go.

fix the program somehow, assist mesk as necessary.

((Anyone fix the exosuit leg yet?))
[aux:1+1]
The program continues to be a finicky piece of crap that refuses to so much as boot up without filling the screen with racial slurs.

"Hrmmm... Well, it can wait. I'll go start fixing Lukas. We'll need both his hands working properly if he's going to be useful."

Head over to Lukas and start looking for the problem and have him run diagnostics for me. Before I start poking around inside his arm, make him turn off the power to that part so I don't get shocked.
[Bishop:1+1+1(Jack)+1(Mike)]

Bishop, with advice from Jack and Mike, manages to get Lukas' arm working again, though not perfectly. Well...it works just fine, actually, it's just that it seems to be temperamental, like an old television. It seems like it may need the occasional whack to get moving properly and that it could be brought offline much more easily then before. But at least it freaking works for now.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: July 17, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »

((Thank god for help bonus'.))

"Hmm... I reckon I could fix that better... Do you want me to try?" Bishop says as he looks back up at Lukas.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

"Could do for a bit more fixing."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: July 17, 2013, 02:32:38 pm »

((Well, now the map a lot "busier" than before. Also, I not convinced of the wisdom of using black squares to mark something in adjacency to the black domes. And I think circles looked better, because they made clear the separation between an arbitrary line I put on the map and the natural hazards like those domes.

On an aside, and this would be much more important if it was real life, but it was an important feature of the map that the lines of safety actually lay way beyond our team to account for the error. Oh well.))

"Yeah... I don't think sacrificing drones is going to accomplish anything. Let's head forward, or rather around this thing. I hope I've managed to estimate it's zone correctly. I wonder what the amps would do in this situation. If only we were more organized..."

Head around the Left/West side of the border, and then Up.
BTW, I know I completely forgot about this, but feeling the way ahead with rocks/poles sounds like a good idea.

"By the way, Lars. I would appreciate if you did not involve the gods around me, or at least at me. At all."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:39:14 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:15 pm »

"Agreed.  Let us leave this zone for one of our cheerful murderbots to attend to."

Follow the Leader some more, with pole/rock expansion pack.

As he walked, Lars turned his head curiously as Vich broached the subject of religion.  "What a funny thing you request.  The gods are all around us, watching over us constantly.  They will be involved regardless of what us mere mortals request.  As you can see-" here Lars indicated some of the various holy symbols adorning his equipment- "I invoke them as protections against harm, and to grant us understanding.  Why would we want to avoid such an obvious boon?  During the last mission we were on, while many of our fellows were struck with bullets or attacked by sharkmist, divine intervention shielded me from the former and kept me free of the latter.  Why would I avoid the gods?  I embrace and love them."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: July 17, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »

"Whether they indeed are involved, whether they exist, and whether what happened during the last mission was due to them is an open question. And my opinion on it seems to differ from yours.

But assuming the gods indeed exist and are indeed helping those who ask them for help, I would still prefer to do without it. As for why I would avoid such an obvious boon, let's just say that I have a bad history with religion.

And I am not asking you to abandon what you believe in,"
That would be a monumental project, and would take too much of my time. "just don't direct it at me."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:55 pm »

The faint smile returns to Lars's face.  "Ah, so you wish to remain in denial, much like sister Simus.  I urge you to truly think about such things.  During the last mission, twice I was struck by gunfire, and twice the bullet was deflected by a piece of my equipment.  I do not see that as coincidence- Algis was watching out for me.  I was able to shoot an enemy rocket right out of its launcher- Ingram guided my hand.  Just now I emerged unscathed from that crystal's mighty laser.  The gods are seeing to my safety, such is quite evident."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: July 17, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »

Start rolling some of the smaller boulders towards the crater. If not possible, go grab my deathcube and bring I out to the rocks.

((Dat string of ones. Wow. Just... wow.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: July 17, 2013, 05:16:02 pm »

"You missed my point, didn't you? Whether gods exist, and whether they help you or not, is not what I'm concerned about.

Because even if they are real, I still would not ask them for help, nor do I want you to bother me with asking them on my behalf."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: July 17, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »

fix the dang program
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »

((Missed me.))

Patiently unweld myself. Cutting the wall, not my arm. If I end up with a bracelet of umbilical, that's fine, so long as it is to longer connected to said umbilical.

Lars, you guys know that you're on an open channel, right? And Vich, don't worry about it, he'll stop proselytizing you directly but that's all, he'll still be "praying for you" indirectly, he occasionally does it for the whole team in general. Not worth the trouble it takes to get him to stop, no amount of conversation will convince him.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:56:37 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:37 am »

((Thank god for help bonus'.))

"Hmm... I reckon I could fix that better... Do you want me to try?" Bishop says as he looks back up at Lukas.

Lukas moves his arm around a bit. "Hmmm, yeah... Something doesn't feel right. If it's not too much trouble, please take another look at it."
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:10 am »

Wake up with the force of a thousand morning coffees [...]

((This made me laugh  :) ))

((And sorry for the double post))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:16 am »

"Right. Just hold still, do the same thing you did last time and run a few more diagnostics for me would you? I'd like to get this right."

Run more diagnostics on Lukas and take my time fixing his arm properly. Double check any fixes I make and connections and links present in his arm and shoulder.
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1256