Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939398 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15240 on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:05 am »

((We've yet to see a robot comrade pass out, so I wouldn't rule out engineering malpractice either.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15241 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:17 pm »

Anton wakes up to a splitting headache, blurry vision, and a somewhat concerned Mesk. He checks his right leg to ascertain that what happened after he got into Gilgamesh wasn't a dream - and sadly, it wasn't. Anton is rather upset at first, but manages to compose himself.

"You know, that Gilgamesh is an expensive thing. Probably cost Miyamoto an arm and a leg. Heh. I guess rent is half-price." He smiles weakly, and looks at Mesk, but doesn't wait long for a reaction. "Anyway. What's the situation?"

After getting appropriately briefed on the state of the base, especially Medical - and noticing that he's actually in the Barracks - as well as the problems imposed by the lack of proper prosthetics, Anton falls silent. The prospect of being left legless, or hobbling around on a useless mechanical leg, does not fill him with joy at all. He motions Mesk to put off the cybernetics for the moment and focus on treating anything else he can, allowing himself time to think of solutions.

Examine the available right and left leg prosthetics. (presumably ask Mesk to bring them over, since I can't exactly go and get them myself) Open the datapad and sketch down the muscle arrangement of the prosthetics, the way the nerve-to-machine interfaces are set up, then figure out a way to reuse a left leg prosthesis to complement the right one. With the main differences between left and right legs being up at the thigh and down at the foot, see how much tinkering would be required to jury-rig a left upper leg and knee to function as a right upper leg and knee.

((edit: piecewise ninjas everywhere!))
[aux:2]
You can't figure out how to turn the datapad on. This is embarrassing.

That was embarrassing.

Take the stiff, possibly conductive materials I salvaged and, if the equipment to do so is still intact and the power is on, test their electrical properties in the laboratory. Taking the most conductive, make an aerial that transmits and receives in the common suit frequency (which would also be one of the the frequencies Steve would use for the Sword, to communicate with us), then hook it up to the cable I left outside.
[handi:1+1]
You walk into the closed door of the lab and fall backwards, scattering your materials everywhere. Luckily the only thing damaged was your pride.

"Shoving rocks into holes. Last time I did this I had an exo and help. Speaking of help, anyone care to join me?"

Shove more boulders! Accept any help I get.
[str:4]
More rocks, more hole. Not as many this time though; you must be getting tired. Or bored.

((The one who's staying miraculously uninjured is me. Riiight, forgot about the previous mission.))

"Alright, I suppose that we've got both good news and bad news. And I really hate radio static.
Alright, I'd love to just head to and explore that second part of the black domes, but doing it while ignoring the static factor would be a mistake. First of all, I want us to figure out exactly where that static is coming from, starting from where it starts, which means we'll have to go back a bit, and contunuing on from there."

Go back to where the static starts, and then try to follow the "borders" of static. Where is it supposed source?

You trace part of the boundary of the static, walking back and forth and listening for the first traces of distortion.The distortion seems directly linked to something that lies further westward; what looks like a sand or dust storm on the horizon.

"You missed my point, didn't you? Whether gods exist, and whether they help you or not, is not what I'm concerned about.

Because even if they are real, I still would not ask them for help, nor do I want you to bother me with asking them on my behalf."

Lars laughed softly.  "I am familiar with your type.  You do not believe until you see.  Very well- in such a place fraught with peril, I am sure that a divine miracle will occur for you to plainly see, in due time.  Further, I am the chaplain of the group- it is my duty to intercede with the divine on behalf of everyone.  Would you ask Simus not to research?  Would you ask Mesk not to heal the wounded?  Would you ask Lukas not to shoot things?"

(Lars has stayed rather miraculously uninjured despite numerous frontline duties, hasn't he?)

((Praise be.))

Lars, Vich and the walking paperweight continue westward and northward, walking around the edge of the stabby ball anomaly.  They don't get far when things start to get strange. First, their radios and suit electronics begin to malfunction; displays jittering and spitting static while the radio signals distort. And second, maybe even stranger, that signal that Flint gave everyone a while back, of his lost drone, shows up, pinging it's location beacon from the area toward the west.

((Err... anyone remember which drone this is?))

Lars slaps his helmet in an attempt to clear the static.  "Strange... how did a drone get this far out?"

"Alright, I suppose that we've got both good news and bad news. And I really hate radio static.
Alright, I'd love to just head to and explore that second part of the black domes, but doing it while ignoring the static factor would be a mistake. First of all, I want us to figure out exactly where that static is coming from, starting from where it starts, which means we'll have to go back a bit, and contunuing on from there."

((Oh, that one.))

Lars nods.  "Ah, from the odd domes.  Are the two linked?  We shall see."

Follow the leader.  See if anything in the suit can pinpoint the source of interference.
The suit can't pinpoint where it's coming from exactly or whats causing it. You stick close to Vich on his wandering attempts to manually do what the suit can't.

Go find something else to do.

Hmm...You suppose you could stick with bishop and offer advice on repairing the vehicles, but other then that you lack the skills to do repairs on your own.

Wake up from my brief coma and see what's going on around here. Robot voice while reactivating optional.
discard the excess features and make the program small enough to run
Also be drawing phallic pictographs on paris with a magic marker when he wakes up.

A brief struggle between Iron Legs Flint and Blue Screen Mike results in various very poorly drawn sexual organs adorning their faces and upper body.

"Okay Lukas, you're good to go. Just don't get hit in that arm, it's got less armour than when you started, ok?

Why don't you give a hand with heavy lifting and stuff, like flattening some of these plates we got from cutting up that umbilical so we can use them to build a wall for the garage?"

Start by examining the remaining walls of the garage for design ideas for the new one, then do a sketch of how I could fit scrap and plates together to make a new wall that could fit with the others. Estimate how much salvage it would take to rebuild the wall out of how much we have.
You sketch out the designs. You've got enough scrap and insulation for the walls; plus a few ugly but effective supports to make sure the walls don't get blown out. It will work, assuming you have the skills to pull it off.

"Okay Lukas, you're good to go. Just don't get hit in that arm, it's got less armour than when you started, ok?

Why don't you give a hand with heavy lifting and stuff, like flattening some of these plates we got from cutting up that umbilical so we can use them to build a wall for the garage?"

Start by examining the remaining walls of the garage for design ideas for the new one, then do a sketch of how I could fit scrap and plates together to make a new wall that could fit with the others. Estimate how much salvage it would take to rebuild the wall out of how much we have.

Lukas checks out his repaired arm.

"Wonderful! Thanks a lot. Let's get to work then."

Help Bishop with any heavy lifting he needs done. If no heavy lifting needs to be done at the moment, start flattening the plates he wants to use to rebuild the wall.
You flatten out the metal in the same fashion that a normal man might flatten out a bent piece of tinfoil. Your strength is a bit frightening.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15242 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »

continue helping bishop.

"Hey Bishop, what are your thoughts on the current situation?"

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15243 on: July 19, 2013, 03:45:30 pm »

((In this and other sections, Vich is mostly rambling as he is thinking what to do. I usually try to make things clearer in the bolded section, where we can assume he's finally made up his mind.))

"West, unfortunately, same as those Domes. Well, I'm actually not entirely sure how we're going to explore this. I suppose we could theoretically approach it and catch some samples of the sand that's blowing. On the other hand we know nothing of it's properties, and high speed sand is usually more dangerous than fog. And I have a less rosy perception of this planetoid after what happened with that inky thing. If you wanna do it Lars, I'm all for it.

We could also just push through the sand storm, but I wouldn't want us to get lost, with no signal to base. Hmm... Maybe it and the Black Domes are completely separate despite them being in the same direction. It's also encouraging that some signal is getting through despite the static. Ideally, we'd just fly over it, but I suppose not with things are. Now, South or North? Hm. South would be better I suppose."

Does the dust storm appear to be moving in any way? Can I see how high it is?

If Lars decides to take the risk and get a sample of the dust storm, let him. In that case, wait for him before moving on.

After that, or if he decides not to, begin mapping the storm and the static to the SouthEast of us. If the direction of the border is no longer SouthEast, we obviously turn with it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:11:38 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15244 on: July 19, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »

Lars raises his arms.  "With Algis to shield me and the light of Steve to guide me, I shall be save.  May I ever be in the favor of Pathmas."

Go get a dust storm sample.  Abort if things get dangerous.  Keep checking back to make sure I can still see Vich.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15245 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »

Check if there is any radiation near the orange goo river. Compare to radiation readings near the base and the ones I observed in sector 15. ((I was rereading that section while updating my notes and noticed that there was radiation in sector 15 (the orange lake). Was that ambient radiation due to lack of atmosphere/magnetic field or was it somehow related to the orange goo or maybe the towers.))

Deposit my samples back to the vault back at the base. Encourage everybody else with samples to do the same. List of samples in vault please?

Take my goo sack and my black tower shards (both from sector 15 and sector 18) and put them under the microscope, looking for anything that stands out, any traces of life or movement and any similarities.
((Time to test my hypothesis that the indigo sea is actually a giant single celled organism.))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:57:06 pm by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15246 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:37 pm »

"Goddamn this is hard. Little help? Any robot overlords want to help a little minion here?"

Shove rocks into holes, get buff doing it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15247 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »

"What I think? I think we've been royally screwed over by that damn crystal."

Begin construction of the new wall, carefully referring to the plans if needed and taking the time to do it right. Make sure to put up the supports first and have Lukas help with heavy lifting!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: July 19, 2013, 11:46:19 pm »

"Well, you have a robot helper handy, at least. I wouldn't call myself an overlord. Unless we robots do rule over you people with flesh-and-blood bodies, in which case I supposs I would be one."

Help fill the crater with rocks.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15249 on: July 20, 2013, 01:41:25 am »

"Ugh... bloodloss getting to me again... say, Mesk, did any hypothetical blood-restoration pill survive the ordeal at the infirmary? I could use one if it exists."

Put the pad away and just study the structure of the prosthetics, how they attach, and how they function. Try to brainstorm a solution. ((Calling Int roll.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15250 on: July 20, 2013, 03:47:16 am »

"Doubt it.  What's your blood type?"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:23 am »

"Third.. I mean, B, negative. Or so I remember. Though if you're thinking of transfusions, I think I'd rather walk or sleep it off."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:54 am »

"What I think? I think we've been royally screwed over by that damn crystal."

Begin construction of the new wall, carefully referring to the plans if needed and taking the time to do it right. Make sure to put up the supports first and have Lukas help with heavy lifting!

Help Bishop with heavy lifting
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: July 20, 2013, 05:52:42 am »

"Lets just hope we make it through this damn mission."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: July 20, 2013, 12:37:23 pm »

Attempt once more, without miscoordination slipping me up (literally).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 1256