Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941176 times)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15195 on: July 16, 2013, 02:49:09 am »

prepare tools for leg replacement.
You start to gather up the tools when something crosses your mind.

"Hey, Lukas." you ask over the radio as you look through the remaining prosthetic parts, "Which leg is he missing?"

Having just pulled Anton out of Gilgamesh, Lukas knows the answer to this one. He tells Auron over the radio.

"It's his right leg. Looks bad. I don't know what the fuck happened."

Lukas opens a comm channel to the entire team.

"Now that Anton is being taken care of, I could also use some help myself. My right arm doesn't work anymore. I'll be in the garage if anybody has the time to fix me."

Walk back to the garage.

You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:59 am »

Lukas, considering that he was fine before, he was in Gilgamesh, and it was a clean cut, I'd suppose him getting in the mech in a hurry and without regard for safety might have done it. And I can come and try to help once I get some kind of antenna set up in lieu of the comms array.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:28:57 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15197 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:07 am »

Go find find a way into base instead.
You use the way that Anton just used; through the conference room.

Very funny, Michael. Where's Mesk, or whoever is acting as a medic at the moment?

Deposit Anton, then go back to the comms array project, welding the lab umbilical back together around the wiring.
You deposit Anton on a bed in the barracks, near the temporary medbay, and then run back outside to finish welding together the lab umbilical.
[handi:6]
You weld it up with surprising speed, completely sealing it shut again. You also somehow manage to get your own hand welded into the patch and are now wearing the umbilical as a bracelet. Hm.

"O Vo-Nos, thank you for your blessing of speed on Brother Vich.  Amen."

I wonder how it tracks us?  I don't see eyes.  Nevertheless, I shall make a break for it.  Let me know what it does."

Run away from it, on a path not intersecting a teammate.  If it holds position, stop about fifty feet away.  If it attacks, just keep running.
((Well, if that wasn't a lucky death roll. With my MKI. Yay!))

"Well, didn't expect that to happen. Hey, let's do it again!

Anyway, if I had to make a guess, I'd say it's guarding something. And guarding it rather violently. I would ideally a drone to reach the center to see what it is guarding, although that will probably not happen. I hope it's a perfect circular area at least, could be really, really dangerous if it was anything but. Huh, if it's so predictable, I wonder how Lucas or amps would fare against it...

Alright, I think making some distance between us and it is a prerogative. Then spearding out. And then sending in that drone.  And you're moving first Lars, it may well react to motion even outside it's designated zone. Unless of course, you would prefer to just lay here until it decides to go back. That would probably be the safe thing to do."

Try to analyze the thing. Do not move, at least until Lars moves.  If he does, the following action applies:

Get away from the thing, about 100-150 meters, and spread out (20m from each other). Continue analyzing the thing.
PS: If it attacks Lars, I kind of need more information what about what exactly it does before I can give a preemptive action. Sorry.

Also can we get a working map but just for our team? Since we're exploring, and we're continuing to map the planetoid, it's kind of practical to have a map. Can we just say that Vich is using MS Paint on his wrist-pad to map what we see?

Everyone- including Zeph after a few kicks in the butt- scatters. Lars runs a good 50 meters while Vich runs almost three times that, with Zeph in tow. The ball doesn't follow them; it just sort of sits there.

[vich int:2]

Vich sits and thinks for a minute but can't come up with any ideas regarding exactly what that thing is, it's capacities, how to avoid it, anything.

"Well done. These will definitely work fine for rebuilding walls. Lukas can just squish and bend them into shape as we need them. Now let's get this crap into the garage and get to work rebuilding."

Move all the scavenged materials into the garage, or at least near the crater without actually going in it. Contemplate the design of a bridge over or through the crater and leading into the garage, taking into account that it has to hold the weight of a fully loaded vehicle, or lukas and Gilgamesh.
You and Mike carry the scrap back to base, you carrying 10 plates at once, him with one. Once it's all back you walk over to the crater and examine it, trying to visualize a bridge across.

[int:2]

Uh....umm...you would say...probably...probably shouldn't have skipped structural engineering classes.

Medicalize Anton.
[med:1+2]
You gather the tools and parts and then stop. You stare at the missing leg and then at the one good right leg prosthetic you have left.

"Uh, slight problem in medbay. Anton's leg got cut off a bit too far up for this thing to work right. As is he's gonna wobble like an uneven table. Also He'll have no knee."

((Whee! :D

On a related note, PW, in retrospect, considering what happened, would Anton have been better off hiding elsewhere in the Garage? I.e. the forced amputation was an accident, but was the internal damage to the Garage great enough that there were good chances that he wouldn't have survived at all if he didn't get in Gilgamesh? What with the MkI and all.))

Be treated. Find exit from boring plane of blackness and try to wake up - preferably not mid-surgery.
(Being in that suit probably saved your life, yeah. If you weren't there would be a few rolls to deal with and chances are, some shrapnel would have hit you. And once it hit you and the suit was compromised and the heat could get in..well...you'd be extra crispy style anton.)

You mercifully stay asleep for now. Mercifully because if you were awake you'd realize you're about to be mechanically hobbled and spend the rest of your time here skipping instead of walking.

"Maybe you could fill that crater with boulders. If we had enough all we may need to do is lay something flat on top to make it easier to walk on?"

Go scout out some boulders to fill crater with.

((If you need to cross a hole, see if you can fill it first. Yay for simple solutions!))
You begin scouting out the neighborhood, looking for boulders. You find plenty of nice big ones that will no doubt fill the need. Unfortunately, there are two problems. First being that they're covered in a thin layer of previously molten and now solidified stone that has sealed them to the ground. Second, they're big heavy rocks and you're not the strongest man on the crew. At this point you're just a pirate in Bifocals.

grab 2 thermal cameras and begin writing an optics program on my pda that will allow my suit to switch between standard visual, thermal and combinational modes.
[aux:2+1]
You can't get the program to work correctly. You're not even exactly sure what the problem with it is; it just keeps kicking you to a blue crash screen and playing error chimes on loop.

"Permission to explore?"

If permission is granted, gather supplies and see if anyone else wants to come. In the meantime, or if permission is denied, help find and move boulders to fill the crater.
Hey doomblade! Been a while since you've posted, If my brain is braining correctly.

And I don't see anyone saying you shouldn't explore, so I guess they're ok with it! Which way you wanna go?

prepare tools for leg replacement.
You start to gather up the tools when something crosses your mind.

"Hey, Lukas." you ask over the radio as you look through the remaining prosthetic parts, "Which leg is he missing?"

Having just pulled Anton out of Gilgamesh, Lukas knows the answer to this one. He tells Auron over the radio.

"It's his right leg. Looks bad. I don't know what the fuck happened."

Lukas opens a comm channel to the entire team.

"Now that Anton is being taken care of, I could also use some help myself. My right arm doesn't work anymore. I'll be in the garage if anybody has the time to fix me."

Walk back to the garage.

You walk back to the garage and sit down in the center of it after hanging an "Out of Order" sign on your right arm and writing "Fix me" on the dust clinging to your chest.

Everyone can assume the maps are back up and running for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh90p3e3idlbo0h/overall%20map.png

By the way, anyone know what happened to Miyamoto?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: July 16, 2013, 11:30:09 am »

"We could always shoot it."  Lars pats his rifle for emphasis.  "It doesn't seem to care right now as long as we're not too close.  Any rocks we could throw into the deathzone?"

Look for a good rock to throw past it into the area it appears to be "guarding."  Give it a toss if so (after approaching closer to the "death zone" line to make such a throw possible), but be ready to run.  Ponder what it could be doing.

"Uh, slight problem in medbay. Anton's leg got cut off a bit too far up for this thing to work right. As is he's gonna wobble like an uneven table. Also He'll have no knee."

((Clearly you just need to shorten the other leg.))
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:18:51 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:13 pm »

((He said he'd be gone for a while. Busy, I suppose.))

Patiently unweld myself. Cutting the wall, not my arm. If I end up with a bracelet of umbilical, that's fine, so long as it is to longer connected to said umbilical.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:21:15 pm by PyroDesu »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:43 pm »

((Miyamoto? Summer camp.

But the base repair! So. Many. Overrolls. Ha ha ha ha ha!))

"Shoot it? No. What we have from it so far, is follows a very predictable behavior, albeit with supernatural capabilities. It reacted when I entered it's "zone," and has done nothing since then. The creators seem not to have blessed it with supreme intellect, but I would worry about triggering a self-defence mechanism.

To put in human words, it may attack us when we shoot it. If we're going to attack it, there is no point to doing so without superior firepower. Poking it with laser rifle is probably not going to be enough. Also, I am not sure that the thing we see actually fully exists in front of us, it transposed to us completely instantaneously from the center of the zone. There must be something that allows it to appear and disappear. Perhaps it's core exists in a different dimension entirely, and this is just an outer image of it?

Anyway, this is all just speculation. I don't know a thing about it, and aliens are not my forte. But I don't have a problem with shooting something past it, be it a rock or a drone."
(You want to throw a rock more than 50 meters ahead of you? Because you will probably have to get near to the thing to do so. Just letting you know.)

Take out my map. Make a circle where I have estimated the thing to have sat originally when we saw it. Then measure the distance from us to the farthest ring on that circle. Use that as a radius for the "Death Zone," and now using it trace a much bigger circle. And then trace half-a subxes of error around that. Actually I'll just make a map with instructions after I post this.

Update: Here it is. ((Is it explanatory enough, or should I do labels, and cut the stuff I am not using? Click on the Zoom in, then on the View Original buttons: http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/Horrible_illustrations_for_ER/media/ERMapradius_zps4daabde6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I hope the stuff I actually get as a result is more focused. And uses a better color scheme.))
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:15:24 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: July 16, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »

((Actually, I posted just two turns ago. But anyway, time to explore.))

Gather my supplies/gear and head back out through the white dome hex, to where I can see the surrounding hexes. Stay on my guard, and rock-throw if I'm on unexplored ground.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15202 on: July 16, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »

(You want to throw a rock more than 50 meters ahead of you? Because you will probably have to get near to the thing to do so. Just letting you know.)

((If Lars could throw a rock 50 meters, he'd be in sports instead of religion.  But I did edit the action to clarify.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »

See if there's a left knee I can use, and whether it would fit properly.  If it wouldn't cause too much of a problem, use it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15204 on: July 16, 2013, 03:37:36 pm »

"Damn. All the rocks are cemented to the ground. Also heavy. Gonna need some robro's to help."

Head back to garage and grab a hammer, then head back and start hammering at the thinner stone gluing the boulders to the ground.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: July 16, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

Go find someone who needs help fixing something.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:05 pm »

fix the program somehow, assist mesk as necessary.

((Anyone fix the exosuit leg yet?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: July 16, 2013, 11:17:46 pm »

"Hrmmm... Well, it can wait. I'll go start fixing Lukas. We'll need both his hands working properly if he's going to be useful."

Head over to Lukas and start looking for the problem and have him run diagnostics for me. Before I start poking around inside his arm, make him turn off the power to that part so I don't get shocked.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: July 16, 2013, 11:34:00 pm »

Make him turn off the power to that part so I don't get shocked.

((Or sucker punched by an accidental connection))

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15209 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:18 am »

"Hrmmm... Well, it can wait. I'll go start fixing Lukas. We'll need both his hands working properly if he's going to be useful."

Head over to Lukas and start looking for the problem and have him run diagnostics for me. Before I start poking around inside his arm, make him turn off the power to that part so I don't get shocked.

Do as Bishop asks.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1256