Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939728 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15225 on: July 18, 2013, 04:07:51 am »

"Should probably go back to helping bishop"
Help bishop
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: July 18, 2013, 04:15:21 am »

"Right. Just hold still, do the same thing you did last time and run a few more diagnostics for me would you? I'd like to get this right."

Run more diagnostics on Lukas and take my time fixing his arm properly. Double check any fixes I make and connections and links present in his arm and shoulder.

Run diagnostics on self
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15227 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:02 am »

((Well, now the map a lot "busier" than before. Also, I not convinced of the wisdom of using black squares to mark something in adjacency to the black domes. And I think circles looked better, because they made clear the separation between an arbitrary line I put on the map and the natural hazards like those domes.

On an aside, and this would be much more important if it was real life, but it was an important feature of the map that the lines of safety actually lay way beyond our team to account for the error. Oh well.))

"Yeah... I don't think sacrificing drones is going to accomplish anything. Let's head forward, or rather around this thing. I hope I've managed to estimate it's zone correctly. I wonder what the amps would do in this situation. If only we were more organized..."

Head around the Left/West side of the border, and then Up.
BTW, I know I completely forgot about this, but feeling the way ahead with rocks/poles sounds like a good idea.

"By the way, Lars. I would appreciate if you did not involve the gods around me, or at least at me. At all."
(the black and yellow zone is the caution zone.And those hexes are something like a mile wide, so there's a plenty large buffer zone. Also I didn't use the circles because they're extremely annoying to edit, should they ever need to be, and because fractions of hexes rarely come into play. Also, that shade of black is Slightly different, I'll have you know, good sir.Changed it to yellow.)

"Agreed.  Let us leave this zone for one of our cheerful murderbots to attend to."

Follow the Leader some more, with pole/rock expansion pack.

As he walked, Lars turned his head curiously as Vich broached the subject of religion.  "What a funny thing you request.  The gods are all around us, watching over us constantly.  They will be involved regardless of what us mere mortals request.  As you can see-" here Lars indicated some of the various holy symbols adorning his equipment- "I invoke them as protections against harm, and to grant us understanding.  Why would we want to avoid such an obvious boon?  During the last mission we were on, while many of our fellows were struck with bullets or attacked by sharkmist, divine intervention shielded me from the former and kept me free of the latter.  Why would I avoid the gods?  I embrace and love them."
(Lars has stayed rather miraculously uninjured despite numerous frontline duties, hasn't he?)

Lars, Vich and the walking paperweight continue westward and northward, walking around the edge of the stabby ball anomaly.  They don't get far when things start to get strange. First, their radios and suit electronics begin to malfunction; displays jittering and spitting static while the radio signals distort. And second, maybe even stranger, that signal that Flint gave everyone a while back, of his lost drone, shows up, pinging it's location beacon from the area toward the west.

Start rolling some of the smaller boulders towards the crater. If not possible, go grab my deathcube and bring I out to the rocks.

((Dat string of ones. Wow. Just... wow.))
[str: 5]
It's not an easy process, and the boulders aren't exactly the most impressive things, once you get them to the crater and they start piling up like a handful of marbles at the bottom of a bucket. But the important part is that it's slowly working and that you're the one doing it; without the robot overlords.

"Admittedly," You wheeze as you push another boulder in, " I would kill for a bulldozer, but this is alright too."

fix the dang program
[aux:6+1]
Oh you get it working alright. It's probably the best damn optics program you've ever seen; a masterpiece. It's also far too large to fit on your suit's computer.

((Missed me.))

Patiently unweld myself. Cutting the wall, not my arm. If I end up with a bracelet of umbilical, that's fine, so long as it is to longer connected to said umbilical.

Lars, you guys know that you're on an open channel, right? And Vich, don't worry about it, he'll stop proselytizing you directly but that's all, he'll still be "praying for you" indirectly, he occasionally does it for the whole team in general. Not worth the trouble it takes to get him to stop, no amount of conversation will convince him.
We'll give you a dynamic bonus since you spent that turn getting ready, eh?

[handi:3+1+1]
You carefully cut yourself free and then reseal the umbilical just as you'd like it to be. Well, that went easier then expected.

"Right. Just hold still, do the same thing you did last time and run a few more diagnostics for me would you? I'd like to get this right."

Run more diagnostics on Lukas and take my time fixing his arm properly. Double check any fixes I make and connections and links present in his arm and shoulder.
"Should probably go back to helping bishop"
Help bishop

Run diagnostics on self
[Bishop Handi:5+1-1 Michael help]
Bishop, with a little help from Mike- mostly slapping him in the back of the head every time he did something stupid-manages to completely fix Lukas' arm. It's good as new; well, mostly. Less armored, but otherwise mint condition.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:31 am »

Anton wakes up to a splitting headache, blurry vision, and a somewhat concerned Mesk. He checks his right leg to ascertain that what happened after he got into Gilgamesh wasn't a dream - and sadly, it wasn't. Anton is rather upset at first, but manages to compose himself.

"You know, that Gilgamesh is an expensive thing. Probably cost Miyamoto an arm and a leg. Heh. I guess rent is half-price." He smiles weakly, and looks at Mesk, but doesn't wait long for a reaction. "Anyway. What's the situation?"

After getting appropriately briefed on the state of the base, especially Medical - and noticing that he's actually in the Barracks - as well as the problems imposed by the lack of proper prosthetics, Anton falls silent. The prospect of being left legless, or hobbling around on a useless mechanical leg, does not fill him with joy at all. He motions Mesk to put off the cybernetics for the moment and focus on treating anything else he can, allowing himself time to think of solutions.

Examine the available right and left leg prosthetics. (presumably ask Mesk to bring them over, since I can't exactly go and get them myself) Open the datapad and sketch down the muscle arrangement of the prosthetics, the way the nerve-to-machine interfaces are set up, then figure out a way to reuse a left leg prosthesis to complement the right one. With the main differences between left and right legs being up at the thigh and down at the foot, see how much tinkering would be required to jury-rig a left upper leg and knee to function as a right upper leg and knee.

((edit: piecewise ninjas everywhere!))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:36 am »

That was embarrassing.

Take the stiff, possibly conductive materials I salvaged and, if the equipment to do so is still intact and the power is on, test their electrical properties in the laboratory. Taking the most conductive, make an aerial that transmits and receives in the common suit frequency (which would also be one of the the frequencies Steve would use for the Sword, to communicate with us), then hook it up to the cable I left outside.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:28 am »

"Shoving rocks into holes. Last time I did this I had an exo and help. Speaking of help, anyone care to join me?"

Shove more boulders! Accept any help I get.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15231 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »

((The one who's staying miraculously uninjured is me. Riiight, forgot about the previous mission.))

"Alright, I suppose that we've got both good news and bad news. And I really hate radio static.
Alright, I'd love to just head to and explore that second part of the black domes, but doing it while ignoring the static factor would be a mistake. First of all, I want us to figure out exactly where that static is coming from, starting from where it starts, which means we'll have to go back a bit, and contunuing on from there."

Go back to where the static starts, and then try to follow the "borders" of static. Where is it supposed source?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:54:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15232 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »

"You missed my point, didn't you? Whether gods exist, and whether they help you or not, is not what I'm concerned about.

Because even if they are real, I still would not ask them for help, nor do I want you to bother me with asking them on my behalf."

Lars laughed softly.  "I am familiar with your type.  You do not believe until you see.  Very well- in such a place fraught with peril, I am sure that a divine miracle will occur for you to plainly see, in due time.  Further, I am the chaplain of the group- it is my duty to intercede with the divine on behalf of everyone.  Would you ask Simus not to research?  Would you ask Mesk not to heal the wounded?  Would you ask Lukas not to shoot things?"

(Lars has stayed rather miraculously uninjured despite numerous frontline duties, hasn't he?)

((Praise be.))

Lars, Vich and the walking paperweight continue westward and northward, walking around the edge of the stabby ball anomaly.  They don't get far when things start to get strange. First, their radios and suit electronics begin to malfunction; displays jittering and spitting static while the radio signals distort. And second, maybe even stranger, that signal that Flint gave everyone a while back, of his lost drone, shows up, pinging it's location beacon from the area toward the west.

((Err... anyone remember which drone this is?))

Lars slaps his helmet in an attempt to clear the static.  "Strange... how did a drone get this far out?"

"Alright, I suppose that we've got both good news and bad news. And I really hate radio static.
Alright, I'd love to just head to and explore that second part of the black domes, but doing it while ignoring the static factor would be a mistake. First of all, I want us to figure out exactly where that static is coming from, starting from where it starts, which means we'll have to go back a bit, and contunuing on from there."

((Oh, that one.))

Lars nods.  "Ah, from the odd domes.  Are the two linked?  We shall see."

Follow the leader.  See if anything in the suit can pinpoint the source of interference.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: July 18, 2013, 02:49:46 pm »

On Religion: "Lars, this has nothing to do with belief. I have a really bad history with religion and with all kinds of religious authorities. It happened starting when I was still in the University, and through all my time in La Résistance. I do not wish to offload all of that on you, no need to pointlessly bring back the past conflicts. But I would still appreciate if you left me be, regardless of whether it means that my death is that much more likely.

And to answer your question, if I ask that medic not to heal myself, especially if I have a good reason to do so, I will fully except him to leave me be."

On Black Domes: "Flint was playing with a drone, sending it into the black domes, and observing the teleportation effects, when one one of them disappeared somewhere. Sorry, I forgot you weren't with us then. But much more inportantly, black domes mean the rest of that tasty zeppelin that we scavenged back there."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: July 18, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

Go find something else to do.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15235 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »

discard the excess features and make the program small enough to run
Also be drawing phallic pictographs on paris with a magic marker when he wakes up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:43:02 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15236 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:39 pm »

Wake up from my brief coma and see what's going on around here. Robot voice while reactivating optional.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: July 18, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »

"Okay Lukas, you're good to go. Just don't get hit in that arm, it's got less armour than when you started, ok?

Why don't you give a hand with heavy lifting and stuff, like flattening some of these plates we got from cutting up that umbilical so we can use them to build a wall for the garage?"

Start by examining the remaining walls of the garage for design ideas for the new one, then do a sketch of how I could fit scrap and plates together to make a new wall that could fit with the others. Estimate how much salvage it would take to rebuild the wall out of how much we have.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:11 am »

"Okay Lukas, you're good to go. Just don't get hit in that arm, it's got less armour than when you started, ok?

Why don't you give a hand with heavy lifting and stuff, like flattening some of these plates we got from cutting up that umbilical so we can use them to build a wall for the garage?"

Start by examining the remaining walls of the garage for design ideas for the new one, then do a sketch of how I could fit scrap and plates together to make a new wall that could fit with the others. Estimate how much salvage it would take to rebuild the wall out of how much we have.

Lukas checks out his repaired arm.

"Wonderful! Thanks a lot. Let's get to work then."

Help Bishop with any heavy lifting he needs done. If no heavy lifting needs to be done at the moment, start flattening the plates he wants to use to rebuild the wall.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15239 on: July 19, 2013, 07:52:23 am »

Also be drawing phallic pictographs on paris with a magic marker when he wakes up.
((Typical HMRC reaction to spotting unconscious/sleeping comrades. Either that or medical malpractice.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1256