Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939928 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13860 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:32 am »

sleep then try and test with the goal of figuring out why the samples of similar size are of massively differing weight.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:10 am »

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team's Absentminded Technician/Experimenter.

"Whoa. Spaced out for a moment there. Alright, let's begin."

Using the tried and true rock-throwing method, as observed from the feeds back at the base, Anton identifies the distinct types of anomalies. Noting the locations of one each of Slow, Fast, Superfast, and Full Stop zones, he begins his experiments.

Using a metal rod, carefully probe each of the anomaly types. Notice what resistance, if any, do the slow and stop anomalies offer to a partially-entered metal rod. Do the same for the accelerated anomalies, but exercise extra caution, never keep the rod too close to the body, and be prepared to let it go in case the anomaly decides to rip the thing out of my hands.

If the experiments go well, start on the next batch. Put a metal sheet in a way that about half of it is within an accelerated anomaly. Just kind of gently slide it in. Fire a laser beam along its length, observing how the effect from the beam changes as the anomaly border is crossed. Repeat the same for a Slow, and a Stop zone.

Tie a mapping drone to the end of a rod with some wire, make it transmit a picture to my faceplate, and slowly shove it through the threshold of a Slow anomaly, observing changes in picture. Repeat the same thing, but tie it backwards and make it shine a light in my direction from within the anomaly. Note any visible differences.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: May 07, 2013, 08:30:15 am »

((Trying to screw with relativity?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:17 am »

((Trying to determine the nature of the anomaly. The effects are too varied for it to be temporal distortion, and there are a good number of possibilities for what is going on there.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13864 on: May 07, 2013, 09:38:20 am »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

((Trying to determine the nature of the anomaly. The effects are too varied for it to be temporal distortion, and there are a good number of possibilities for what is going on there.))
((I thought we had already established that that is a motion anomaly, not a temporal one.))

Play follow the leader, hsrdcore style.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: May 07, 2013, 09:48:08 am »

Lukas

Lukas turns to Simus when they arrive at the volcanic zone. "I suggest that we try to get one of these things in a peaceful manner at first. We could try just putting the box in front of one somewhere and then 'herd' it into it. What do you think?"
Try this approach, unless Simus objects.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:48 pm »

((I thought we had already established that that is a motion anomaly, not a temporal one.))
((Out of character, or in character elsewhere, but Anton doesn't know that yet. Plus, more experiments! All you ever did was toss rocks in. More detailed analysis is needed.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13867 on: May 07, 2013, 12:28:24 pm »

((Out of character, or in character elsewhere, but Anton doesn't know that yet. Plus, more experiments! All you ever did was toss rocks in. More detailed analysis is needed.))
((I think it's easy to tell by looking at the markings on the map. When you see things like chaotic movement or only horizontal movement... But then again, your experiments ARE very useful. I'm not saying you shouldn't do them, I'm just saying that you could deduce the nature of the anomaly if you look at the map.

Everybody has access to the map, right? I think Miyamoto is uploading it to everyone each turn.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13868 on: May 07, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »

Paint the shuttle a nice deep blue, paint red and yellow flames over the front sweeping back so it looks like the shuttle is entering atmosphere and burning up.

You give your shuttle the most kickass paint job possible. Well...maybe you could like, air brush a wizard riding a dragon into a sea of naked women.

"The flames make it go faster!"

Blue Team

Get everyone up and moving toward zone 17, mapping and testing the ground infront of us all the way.
Yeah well, you kinda stop on the edge of sector 17, or at least near the edge. Sector 17 is completely covered in what look like hundreds of black domes that merge together and intersect like soap bubbles. The domes rise several hundred feet into the air and though they seem strangely immaterial; their edges slightly hazy, they block out every clue of what might be inside them.

Tame Green

((NOPE))

"Brothers, we must retreat!  Algis, protect us!"

GTFO to the edge of the zone until the madnes stops.  Go around the edge toward 9.  Stop and rest if we need to.
"SHIT!"

Get the fuck out of there! Head back to the edge of the zone.

flee to the previous zone, try using my bat chip to play a tone over the radio to drown out the giggling.

Green
All of you run until you can't hear the laughing anymore. Unfortunately, as you reach the edge of the zone, you realize you don't hear anything. And you're feeling rather dizzy and having a hard time standing straight. Lars in particular is fighting back feelings of vertigo and nausea.

Try to calculate/estimate how much time we'll have left (in-game time) once we've finished exploring all our bighexes, going from our current rate of exploration, and assuming we continue with 2 exploration teams.
Kinda hard to tell, since most of the explored sectors have been only glanced over or had their boundaries mapped. The inner parts are usually more dangerous as well,so that will mean slower going. Chances are you'll finish with the bare mapping with plenty of time, but who knows when it comes to more in depth examination or cataloging.

sleep then try and test with the goal of figuring out why the samples of similar size are of massively differing weight.

I think there's probably been some miscommunication here. The samples aren't of the same size. The heavier one is fuller, the lighter one is less full. They're the same weight by volume.

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team's Absentminded Technician/Experimenter.

"Whoa. Spaced out for a moment there. Alright, let's begin."

Using the tried and true rock-throwing method, as observed from the feeds back at the base, Anton identifies the distinct types of anomalies. Noting the locations of one each of Slow, Fast, Superfast, and Full Stop zones, he begins his experiments.

Using a metal rod, carefully probe each of the anomaly types. Notice what resistance, if any, do the slow and stop anomalies offer to a partially-entered metal rod. Do the same for the accelerated anomalies, but exercise extra caution, never keep the rod too close to the body, and be prepared to let it go in case the anomaly decides to rip the thing out of my hands.

If the experiments go well, start on the next batch. Put a metal sheet in a way that about half of it is within an accelerated anomaly. Just kind of gently slide it in. Fire a laser beam along its length, observing how the effect from the beam changes as the anomaly border is crossed. Repeat the same for a Slow, and a Stop zone.

Tie a mapping drone to the end of a rod with some wire, make it transmit a picture to my faceplate, and slowly shove it through the threshold of a Slow anomaly, observing changes in picture. Repeat the same thing, but tie it backwards and make it shine a light in my direction from within the anomaly. Note any visible differences.

Well, you stick the rod into a slow zone and it goes in with extreme resistance, like pushing through sand. Getting it out is just as hard, even though it's only an inch in or so. You stab it forward into stop zone and it stops like it hit a brick wall. You try to pull it out and it doesn't budge. Oh. Well...hmm. Gonna need some more metal rods...

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

Play follow the leader, hsrdcore style.
Hsrdcore style it is.

Lukas

Lukas turns to Simus when they arrive at the volcanic zone. "I suggest that we try to get one of these things in a peaceful manner at first. We could try just putting the box in front of one somewhere and then 'herd' it into it. What do you think?"
Try this approach, unless Simus objects.
You put the box down in front of one of the critters and sort of slowly push it toward the box. It, in turn, very slowly walks toward the box, gets a little ways in, then stops and starts to back out.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »

Head back to consolidate and drop offf any gear I don't need, then refuel with nutrients as needed and depart, intending to go around the lava zone the long way.

"Is it fine with you guys if I head around the molten iron lake the long way?"
PW, missed me.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

Team Fucked Green

Lars panted, and tried not to vomit into his suit.  Prayer was the answer here.  "O Algis, protect us!  Steve, may your light shine upon us!  O Pathmas, may you find your children in your favor!"

Try and recover.  Pray.  See how others are doing and if we can communicate.

Try to calculate/estimate how much time we'll have left (in-game time) once we've finished exploring all our bighexes, going from our current rate of exploration, and assuming we continue with 2 exploration teams.
Kinda hard to tell, since most of the explored sectors have been only glanced over or had their boundaries mapped. The inner parts are usually more dangerous as well,so that will mean slower going. Chances are you'll finish with the bare mapping with plenty of time, but who knows when it comes to more in depth examination or cataloging.

((I think at some point (likely once we have a general idea what is in each sector) we will need to prioritize which sectors we need to focus on.  Some could possibly have weeks spent in to uncover all their secrets.  Others (the gel sea seems likely) will just have a couple things to do and be done with.  Some (possibly the one Lars is in) will be simply too dangerous to mess with.  We'll just have to see what we have to work with.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:59 pm »

Team Green

man up and spam tones over the radio till i hear stuff.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:17 pm »

Good so far, except now it wants out. Think I should shove the cage the rest of the way?

((Something tells me that Lars and co are in some trouble. In fact, I think there's a possibility that whatever cause that giggling might have screwed with them so that when they thought they were leaving the anomaly, they went further in.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: May 07, 2013, 09:01:40 pm »

((If Lars can't get things straightened up quickly, he'll probably call for an evac.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:35 pm »

((If Lars can't get things straightened up quickly, he'll probably call for an evac.))

((If you're still somewhat within the effect of the zone, would you want the evac pilot getting hit with what you just got?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1256