Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938682 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13830 on: May 03, 2013, 08:05:06 am »

"You know, these anomalies seem too regular. I mean, they all fit together in a nice interlocking hex pattern. All the same size. Most with clearly defined borders. It almost seems artificial. Like some alien species made a rock, filled it with deadly shit, and set it loose to troll future species exploring space. Fukken Xenos."

Take a quick peek in weirdvision, checking for the sillouettes, specifically the distance between me and them. Immediately close vision after a round distance has been judged. Follow Lars.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreSavvy
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13831 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:56 am »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

"Hmm... interesting. This film seems almost... organic." said Flint as he played with the gel-sack, tossing it experimentally from hand to hand, enjoying the feeling of squeezing it. "Reminds me of a story I once read, of a planet that had its oceans turn to gel due to an off world bacteria that grew unrestrained with no natural predators. This however seems more... artificial."

Observe the sack. How large is it? What's its shape and colour? Anything strange I can see about it?
Squeeze the sack. How does it feel in my hand? (breast implant jokes acceptable) How long does it take for it to return to its original shape?
Toss the sack from hand to hand. How heavy does it feel?
Throw the sack to the ground. Does it bounce?

Try to cut a second sack. Store both sacks in sample containers. Mark the size of one with spraypaint so that I can tell whether or not it grows or otherwise changes overtime.

Consider possible uses for the gel-sea material. Would it make a good shock absorbent? Insulation? Self repairing armor? Anything else?

If the atmosphere here isn't flammable, shoot my laser to the sea and observe results. Does it burn or evaporate? Does it refract light? How resistant is it to heat and radiation?

"You know, these anomalies seem too regular. I mean, they all fit together in a nice interlocking hex pattern. All the same size. Most with clearly defined borders. It almost seems artificial. Like some alien species made a rock, filled it with deadly shit, and set it loose to troll future species exploring space. Fukken Xenos."
"Even though an old fool like me could never claim to be privy to the minds of the godlike beings that created this place, I'd like to believe this is like a museum and a beacon, like the Voyager probes of old. I believe they created this place and then set it loose upon this world so they could reach out and give knowledge to the inhabitants of this galaxy and attract them here. For what purpose though, I cannot tell. Do they show us those things because they want us to prosper or is this one giant flytrap, enticing us with sweet gifts so when the time comes for them to strike there will be nothing humanity can do to survive? Are they studying us right now, just as we are studying this place? Have they left this galaxy, were they destroyed or are they just waiting for the moment to harvest us and our technology like cattle, artifacts that one day may inhabit a planetoid not unlike this one? So many questions... Unfortunately unlikely to be answered during what little time an old man like me has left in this world. But perhaps our brief exploration of this place will add a small piece of knowledge for the future generations... Yes... that would be nice..."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:31:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: May 03, 2013, 03:45:15 pm »

Lukas, meet me and Miyamoto back at the base.

Head back to base and join up with Lukas and Miyamoto (if Miyamoto wants Gilgamesh back, give it to him and don the phase armor once again), then let's go rocklice hunting.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:30:50 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: May 03, 2013, 08:10:17 pm »

"Hrmmm. You may be right. Now I really need a pickaxe."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: May 04, 2013, 04:08:24 am »

Head back to base and join up with Lukas and Miyamoto (if Miyamoto wants Gilgamesh back, give it to him and don the phase armor once again), then let's go rocklice hunting.

Team Red - Lukas
"Sure thing, boss"

Meet Simus back at the base
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: May 04, 2013, 06:40:44 am »

Drag only the two samples with different weight back to base and leave the other containers somewhere easily locatable
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: May 04, 2013, 10:51:06 am »

'ah, lukas and simus, good you're here. Now, I suggest you two push the box more or less horizontally around the slug, into the ground a bit, so as not to disturb the specimen too much. The right and left lids come off, so it shouldn't be too hard.'

hand slugbox to our valiant bugcatchers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:53:40 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: May 04, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »

All right. Lukas, let's go catch some wildlife.

Get the box and go forth to collect a specimen for Mesk to torture.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13838 on: May 04, 2013, 07:32:42 pm »

Green Green

Lars stopped and surveyed the visually empty sector.  "Brothers, we shall have to be careful here.  Consider what the others have found- it is the unseen that is often the most dangerous.  Algis, may your shielding hands cover us as we explore this area!

Send a drone to map the sector.  Watch it until it is out of view to see if anything terrible happens to it.  If not, start walking toward the center, employing the "throw a rock every little bit" trick to check for horrible anomalies.

((Let's hope this isn't the mindfuck zone))

The Drone wanders off and seems to be fine. It maps out the empty sector without running into anything that does damage to it. You take a few steps into the zone after carefully throwing rocks around. And then you hear something. A distant sort of sound. You check the atmosphere and find out there isn't one. The sound gets a little louder. A strange sort of giggling noise.

Blue team

"Ok, we wait for the drones to come back, and then we'll head back the way we came and go the opposite way. I think that green team can handle checking out this gooey crap by themselves."

Wait for the drones to return, then upload the new data back to base and then head back the way we came until we reach our starting point. Then head in the opposite way we originally went.
You and the rest of blue team traipse back around the towers to the edge of the visual anomaly zone. At this point you and the team have been walking or working for almost 20 hours straight and it's starting to wear on everyone.

Take a quick peek in weirdvision, checking for the sillouettes, specifically the distance between me and them. Immediately close vision after a round distance has been judged. Follow Lars.
They're a few yards away, slightly closer then before. Hmm.

Follow rest of team. Be not very surprised.

"We need something fun to do."

You follow the team and are completely apathetic about the unholy giggling that lars and everyone else begins hearing.

"oh, this crap again."

"Hmm... interesting. This film seems almost... organic." said Flint as he played with the gel-sack, tossing it experimentally from hand to hand, enjoying the feeling of squeezing it. "Reminds me of a story I once read, of a planet that had its oceans turn to gel due to an off world bacteria that grew unrestrained with no natural predators. This however seems more... artificial."

Observe the sack. How large is it? What's its shape and colour? Anything strange I can see about it?
Squeeze the sack. How does it feel in my hand? (breast implant jokes acceptable) How long does it take for it to return to its original shape?
Toss the sack from hand to hand. How heavy does it feel?
Throw the sack to the ground. Does it bounce?

Try to cut a second sack. Store both sacks in sample containers. Mark the size of one with spraypaint so that I can tell whether or not it grows or otherwise changes overtime.

Consider possible uses for the gel-sea material. Would it make a good shock absorbent? Insulation? Self repairing armor? Anything else?

If the atmosphere here isn't flammable, shoot my laser to the sea and observe results. Does it burn or evaporate? Does it refract light? How resistant is it to heat and radiation?

"Even though an old fool like me could never claim to be privy to the minds of the godlike beings that created this place, I'd like to believe this is like a museum and a beacon, like the Voyager probes of old. I believe they created this place and then set it loose upon this world so they could reach out and give knowledge to the inhabitants of this galaxy and attract them here. For what purpose though, I cannot tell. Do they show us those things because they want us to prosper or is this one giant flytrap, enticing us with sweet gifts so when the time comes for them to strike there will be nothing humanity can do to survive? Are they studying us right now, just as we are studying this place? Have they left this galaxy, were they destroyed or are they just waiting for the moment to harvest us and our technology like cattle, artifacts that one day may inhabit a planetoid not unlike this one? So many questions... Unfortunately unlikely to be answered during what little time an old man like me has left in this world. But perhaps our brief exploration of this place will add a small piece of knowledge for the future generations... Yes... that would be nice..."

About the size of your fist, a sort of purplish, greenish, bluish fluid trapped inside an thin, slightly opaque but mostly transparent film. Anything strange about it? Besides everything?

It's fairly firm, almost like trying to squeeze fine sand. But it deforms more if you squeeze it more slowly. It returns to it's original shape fairly fast, but doesn't "Spring" back.

It weighs a little more then water, you think.

It does not bounce.

You store another sample away, marking them before hand.

Shock absorber maybe.

You shoot the sea. It is scorched but doesn't burn or boil or evaporate. But it does cut through it like butter.

Drag only the two samples with different weight back to base and leave the other containers somewhere easily locatable

You drag and roll and lug the containers all the way back to base and into the lab, leaving them next to the door.

You are freaking exhausted after all that.

All right. Lukas, let's go catch some wildlife.

Get the box and go forth to collect a specimen for Mesk to torture.
'ah, lukas and simus, good you're here. Now, I suggest you two push the box more or less horizontally around the slug, into the ground a bit, so as not to disturb the specimen too much. The right and left lids come off, so it shouldn't be too hard.'

hand slugbox to our valiant bugcatchers.

Team Red - Lukas
"Sure thing, boss"

Meet Simus back at the base

Simus and Lukas return to base, get themselves a big o' bug box and then head back out toward the volcanic zone. The question is, how do they actually want to go about catching one of these things? Just grab it and shove it in? Put the box in front of it and let it walk in? Smash it with a rock and scoop it in?

Map
http://i.imgur.com/cdggwCM.jpg

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: May 04, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »

((Let's hope this isn't the mindfuck zone))

((Son of a bitch.))

"Brothers, do you hear that?"

Attempt to pinpoint the source of the noise.  Is it coming through the radio?  Shut off comms for a moment to see if it stops (then turn back on).

If it stops with comms off, tell everyone in squad to turn them off, notify command that we're going radio silent, then shut off comms and head on to the next sector (Sector 9) via the edges.

If it doesn't stop, see if it's vibrations coming through the ground.  Head straight toward Sector 9 to see if it follows us.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19:07 pm »

"I really.... need to work..... on that"
Check the exact elemental/mineral composition of the iron then put them somewhere warm enough to keep them semi liquid then go to sleep
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: May 05, 2013, 07:31:17 am »

((Toaster, you fool... You should have seen it coming when you said that... I forget what the name of the law that is relevant here, but there is one that definitely applies to what just happened, I'm sure of it!))

"Whew... That's quite the walk... Let's stop here and take a sleep and stuff, I think we deserve the rest... We'll get moving again in a couple of hours, so get some sleep."

Bishop keys his radio to base for a moment.

"Blue Team here. We're beat so we're taking a good sleep and rest. We'll be on our way again in 8 hours or so. Tell me how everyone is going then."

Find a comfy spot if possible and have something to eat and drink. Then organise a watch system so we all don't get caught unawares and set a timer to wake me up when it's my turn to take watch. Let the group sleep a good 8 hours.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: May 05, 2013, 09:21:40 am »

"What's so funny?"

Ignore the giggling, keep walking towards the center of the zone.

((Murphys law: Anything that can go wrong, will. Never taunt Murphy.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: May 05, 2013, 09:43:11 am »

Green team
rejoin the group and attempt to pinpoint the gigglings origin through all logical methods.

If all else fails attempt to communicate by giggling back.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:10:31 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13844 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:19 am »

Put one of the black tower sample inside the marked gel-sack container, just in case it is living and those black towers can provide it nutrition. Sleep according to team leader's orders.

If all else fails attempt to communicate by giggling back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1agaZinJHg
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1256