Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944328 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13470 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:54 am »

((Yes, quite a few of those problems involve a limited (and dwindling) supply of minions. :P

What we need is something large and vaguely complex that we can stick into an anomaly and see what happens to it. Sort of like a crashtest dummy.

If we had a spare suit, we could stuff it with a vaguely humanoid frame made of metal and foam rubber. We could call it "Buster". ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: April 11, 2013, 12:07:14 pm »

((Given our track record, there will probably be a spare suit eventually...))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13472 on: April 11, 2013, 03:30:11 pm »

Team Blue
"Alright, but only since this seems to be one of the safer anomalies out there. I'll send out a mapping drone or two as well to help map it out and we can take a break here before moving back to base."

Send out two mapping drones into the flat zone to map the thing out and send all map data back to base. Watch what happens to the guy who touches the flat zone closely.

The mapping drones fly a good distance straight up an then out toward the flat zone. They don't get far before the signal suddenly cuts off. Hmph.

((Okay, that's fine then. It's a lot better to when you know why your action was ignored.))

"Well, now that's that done with, what now? We could skate that flat plane to get back to our base if anything. Probably not the best idea, but not the worst one either. Say, I heard from before that it's heat absorbing. Those suits are insulated against anything, so I wouldn't be too worried about that, but just in case, how about I check the safety of touching it with a suit? And then we could determine where we're going next."

If Bishop is fine with it, place a finger on the flat plane. If it's fine, then place a palm, then a foot (while keeping solid footing on the other side) and stand there for half a minute. If at any point my appendages feel like they're freezing, pull away. And follow anything Bishop says.

((For playing a cautious character, I'm being pretty risky. On the other hand, Vich has not yet encountered anything that shook him in such a way as to not do this experience. Would be embarrasing to end up without a finger, would be very annoying to lose an arm, but hey, science. You know what would be great here? Mice.))
You cautiously stick a finger into the flat plane. Nothing. Suit seems to be handling the cold without any problems. You stick your hand down on the surface. It's extremely slick, like lubricated ice sort of slick. It almost feels frictionless, but not quite. You stick one foot in and then try to step the rest of the way in but end up just slipping and falling flat, half in the zone, half out.

"Oh, I get it. This is the slapstick dimension."

Stand back behind Vich, watch his experiments. Drag him away from the flat zone should the need arise.
You help Vich back onto his feet and only laugh at him a little bit.

Help Anton build the thing.

((I'll be updating the notes and posting some OOC stuff tomorrow. No time now.))

[handi:1+1-1]
[anton handi:2+1+1]
Anton tries his best to get this thing made but you spend the entire time slapping tools out of his hand, drawing dicks on his blueprints and rearranging his parts. In the end, nothing gets done, but luckily nothing gets damaged either.

Team Green

Follow lars unless it is not a good idea.
follow lars until its a bad idea then make a witty remark and trip him for his own safety.

"Brothers, I believe we have done what we can for this zone.  I will report our progress, then we shall return.  May Algis shield our journey home."

He then switched to Morul's comm, specifically.  "Morul, this is Brother Lars.  If you are in the area, could you please tell me how high this heat goes?"

Lars then changed over to command comm.  "Glorious Leader, this is Brother Lars of Team Green.  We have completed what we can of mapping this zone without straying out of bounds of the inner areas.  We are returning to base.  I will send a mapping drone to scout the rest if we are able to get it to fly over the heat.  Please advise of any further orders."

Return to base.

Team Green heads back to base, meeting up with Morul half way there. Lars grabs him by the shoulders, spins him around, and walks him back, shouting something about prophecy and the goodness of the great lord steve the entire time. He occasionally has to pause and check his in-suit thesaurus for new synonyms for "Good" or "large" or "Sexual Tyrannosaurus."

Team Red

Follow the team, and observe the terrain/area in general for anything out of the (relative) ordinary.
Carefully keep going, chuckin' rocks all the way. Also cycle through vision modes while looking around to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.
Carefully keep going, chuckin' rocks all the way. Also cycle through vision modes while looking around to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

((hehe, anything out of the ordinary? How should we interpret that in our current environment?))

Keep distance from creepy things and keep throwing rocks around. Look around for things that seem to have life in them.

continue mapping

The team keeps mapping but it becomes immediately obvious that further movement in this direction may prove impossible. The gravity seep chasms are linking up around here and becoming exponentially stronger. It's becoming difficult to remain standing without leaning against the pull and, judging from the fact that the horizon seems to be noticeably distorted toward a single  point in the distance, it only gets more powerful further on.

Team Base

Check the morgue for this alleged cut wire.
Well, from ALVIN's directions the Wire appears to be behind a metal panel. Fixing it would mean cutting the panel and then resealing it afterwards. Probably not too hard to someone with technical knowledge...but to someone without that knowledge they might end up cutting the backup wires that have taken over for this one.

Not that losing refrigeration in here would really matter, at least right now.

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/nIaUfLQ.png

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:19 pm »

((In-suit thesaurus.  You should not have told me of such a thing.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: April 11, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »

Look around for a cutting torch and/or toolbox.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: April 11, 2013, 04:00:12 pm »

Could we know where the point at which the drones got cut off? Could be important for determining the safe boundary.

"Thanks Zerphyris, wouldn't want to get stuck there. Now, the report. I didn't feel any cold, so we don't have to worry about that. The drones on the other hand... Depending on where they cut off, we could still try to skate the thing towards the base, but I'm not hot on checking out what made them drop right now. Dunno. While we're at it, could you inquire about Flint?"

(After a minute or two) "We should think about making some sort of ice skates or sledge for thing thing. Powered by rockets or something, it would be an easy and effective way of transportation, not to mention enjoyable way to spend time. The surface felt like lubricated ice, close to, but not quite frictionless. I'm sure we could make something."

Stretch muscles and enjoy a brief moment of rest. Do what Bishop says.

((I wonder how much money tokens we're going to make changes on how much we explore. Kind of hard to make any predictions without any sort of metric.))
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:08:09 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:50 pm »

Lars then changed over to command comm.  "Glorious Leader, this is Brother Lars of Team Green.  We have completed what we can of mapping this zone without straying out of bounds of the inner areas.  We are returning to base.  I will send a mapping drone to scout the rest if we are able to get it to fly over the heat.  Please advise of any further orders."[/i]

Return to base.

Back over comm channel: "Excellent work Lars. Take some rest now, see if you can help out back at base. We're kinda stuck here too, so we'll be joining you."

"Ok, this is getting too dangerous. You guys ready to get back? We've done more than our share already, so we shouldn't take any unnecessary risks. Unless any of you insist we try to get a bit further, we'll be heading back."

Go back unless someone has objections to that.

Over team-wide channel: "Congratulations to you all on your work so far. Now that we have mapped the immediate area, it'll be time to start branching out. However, it seems we are boxed in by various anomalies, so we'll have to find a way around that problem. If anyone has any suggestions, state them now."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: April 11, 2013, 04:41:43 pm »

"Nearly all the anomalies look like they have a path around them. It can be a bit of a deviation, but with the amount of time we have, I don't see it as a big problem.

But for actual travel, I see no reason not to use minishuttles to get around. I am a little concerned about there being some anomalies up in the air, but we could send the drones first, and the shuttle after them, so that's nothing that cannot be fixed.

I also personally find interesting the efforts to get the Manual Powered Wheeler upgraded, and perhaps we could engineer some bicycles, which would let us move around faster, and not waste any fuel."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:30 pm »

Go see if anyone needs any help.

Over radio:"There seems to be something very strange causing these anomalies."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:12 pm »

((Well, that was stupid of me to go and forget to inform ya'll that I would be out for a bit and see if someone would RC me. Can someone fill me in on what's happened in, oh, the last two or three pages, keeping in mind I'm on the maximum post count per page?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: April 11, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »

((Welcome back!

Uh... did you see the end of the radioactive flyover?  Anton lost his hands getting the detrius out, but Mesk fixed them with no problems (no, really).  Not too much interesting besides team infighting, Morul seeing things that weren't there, and most of the mapping finishing up.  That, and the gravity seeps keep going to the hex to the east.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »

"Sorry about running off like that, now please stop with the praise Steve? I'm not going to die that easily."

Follow Lars.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: April 11, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »

((Last thing I saw was some idiot from green Team not going back with the rest from the Local Lethal Lava Land and PW warning him that he's dying of dehydration.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: April 11, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »

"That sounds fine but we should grab samples from here first also I suspect that we could learn a lot from here if we performed the correct tests."
Grab some rocks from around the place and follow our team.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »

Follow the team back out of the anomolous zone.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1256