Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942463 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13500 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:25 pm »

"Right, those lights seem dangerous, so don't touch them. Now, let's go skating!"

Group everyone together and have them sit in the flatzone, near the edge, and have them all hold onto each other. Hover over to them and land behind where the base is and give them a soft push with the rockets to get us started back home. Use small bursts to redirect us every now and then if need be, but otherwise just slide all the way back to base. Then once we get to the edge, just simply pull everyone off the zone and walk back to base.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13501 on: April 13, 2013, 12:35:54 am »

do useful on base type stuff like... ummm... making that data enhancement program for received mapping data.
also go to the sensors and rummage through the data from when the shard was first spotted to when it hit the base, try to find a way to detect such events in the future and create an early warning system.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13502 on: April 13, 2013, 06:37:16 am »

Try to help Anton again. If he keeps giving me the death-stare, slowly back away while facing him and smiling. Once I'm far enough, duck to avoid any tools thrown, turn tail and run and hide in a vent, or if none are available, the freezer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:39:43 am by Parisbre56 »

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13503 on: April 13, 2013, 07:39:39 am »

"This can only end well ..."
Sit down in the flatzone as Bishop instructs
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13504 on: April 13, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »

Go help Anton and Flint.

"Need help?"

You walk over to the garage and squat down next to the two men.

"Need any help? Preferably with, you know, fixing or making something, not with killing each other."

((Missed me:

Compile map data, then head to the lab and if any samples have been deposited there, do whatever analysis is possible upon them. Let nobody else into the lab without my permission while I do so.
))
Whoops.

Well, nothing has really changed with the maps since last time, so you head to the vault and look at the samples you have. They are Labeled as such:

The ground samples I took from sector 1 -> "Ground Samples (base and gravity seep crater rim, sector 1)"
The ground samples I took from sector 3 -> "Ground Samples (anomalous motion zone, sector 3)"
The small blue radioactive rice thingies -> "Anomalous radioactive electrically charged blue shard fragments (came from sector 6, recovered in sector 1)"
Iron sea samples -> "Iron Sea samples (volcanically active area, sector 5)"

Now, as per analysis, you'll have to say what you want to do for each one. Assume you have what amounts to a highschool science lab's tools -ie microscope, fume hood, burners, scales, basic stuff. Remember that you want to catalog everything you can about them.

((So did I get those samples?, Also I suspect it would be silent envy of their respective robotics and Battlesuit's capabilities))
"Well then time for a good rest after 12 hours of mediocre success"
Go sleep then eat then examine all samples that have been collected through every possibly relevant scientific test available to be performed follow the team if required. (carbon dating for example)
You got those samples. Haven't thrown them in the vault yet though. 

You manage the sleeping and eating but it appears that Simus has barricaded herself in the lab and isn't allowing anyone in.

do useful on base type stuff like... ummm... making that data enhancement program for received mapping data.
also go to the sensors and rummage through the data from when the shard was first spotted to when it hit the base, try to find a way to detect such events in the future and create an early warning system.

Not sure what you mean by a data enhancement program or what that would entail. Explain please.

As per an early warning system, it seems as though the system picked it up fairly quickly, though it looks like it would be possible to pick it up sooner if you were to place sensors on the edge of the zone.

Try to help Anton again. If he keeps giving me the death-stare, slowly back away while facing him and smiling. Once I'm far enough, duck to avoid any tools thrown, turn tail and run and hide in a vent, or if none are available, the freezer.
Yep...he's still just staring...um...Crap.

You back away and then sprint into the freezer and hide behind a pallet of icecream sandwiches.

"Who knew shop class would turn into battle royale?" You mutter to yourself.

Team Only guys still out there.

"Right, those lights seem dangerous, so don't touch them. Now, let's go skating!"

Group everyone together and have them sit in the flatzone, near the edge, and have them all hold onto each other. Hover over to them and land behind where the base is and give them a soft push with the rockets to get us started back home. Use small bursts to redirect us every now and then if need be, but otherwise just slide all the way back to base. Then once we get to the edge, just simply pull everyone off the zone and walk back to base.
"This can only end well ..."
Sit down in the flatzone as Bishop instructs
"Then skating it is. Anybody else thinks this might be really fun?"

Await Bishop's order to skate the flat lands, and once we do that head home to the base and get some rest. The way I see it, is that Bishop grabs me and Zephyris, and uses his rocket pods to steer everybody and gain some decent speed. I don't suppose he needs to use them often, since there's nothing much that would alter our direction after the initial push.

((Yes, I am the sort of player who is willing to spend three turns preparing to skate this thing because it's a long walk to the base, even when it's mechanically quicker to just walk back.

Also, I figure Miyamoto might just have been carrying his fleshy subject the entire time, and it just slipped through the cracks. It's not like he ever indicated that he wasn't doing that.))

Bishop's funslide caravan proceeds along the edge of the zone, never getting more then a few feet from the normal ground around the edge. In this way they make it home quite quickly, although controlling their ride is rather difficult. The ground may not be frictionless, but it certainly feels like it when you're skidding along at 40 miles an hour and bishop is hurriedly flying around to the front to slow everyone down before they slam into the edge.

Despite the slip-sliding shenanigans, the team makes it back to base in one piece.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13505 on: April 13, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »

"Whats with him?"

Help Anton.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13506 on: April 13, 2013, 01:53:50 pm »

((Daarn. I keep forgetting to post stuff here. -_-'))

Anton comes out of his slightly-more-than-momentary stupor, his brain having overloaded from Flint's slight... unhelpfulness earlier. He finds Flint absent, and another person sitting down next to him.

"...uuuuh...ahem. Oh, hm, what? Yeah, some help would be nice. Especially actual help. Here, look at this schematic. Ignore the, uh, dicks here... and there too. See what we were going for here? Okay, now keep that, and help me put this thing together."

Clear the blueprints of as many dicks as possible, and hand them to Jack. Enlist his help in putting the trailer together. Slightly embellish the design to allow the trailer to self-propel itself with the help of a small motor and an additional wheel, though with no direct power source - just contacts for any generator or powerpack to be hotwired into.

If Flint returns from the freezer to help, let him - but clobber him at the first sight of any further dick-drawing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13507 on: April 13, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »

((Saying that we have equipment analogous to a high school lab is very vague. And what kind of equipment do we have for testing possible chemical reactions?))

Test a bit of each sample in the following manner: Examine under microscope, weigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), submit to hardness testing, test radiation/heat emission, test for electric charge, submit to flame (be sure to record flame colour), then, after the sample has cooled, reexamine under microscope to see if the structure may have changed during heating, reweigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), resubmit to hardness testing, retest radiation/heat emission, retest for electric charge. Record all test results on a datapad, then put physical tested samples in different containers, with their names appended with (Physical Properties Tested).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:09:06 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13508 on: April 13, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

Jack looks at the blueprint then points at the back:"Should the motor go there? Also we should put three wheels on each side?"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13509 on: April 13, 2013, 03:41:59 pm »

"No, wait, you're holding it wrong. Here-" Anton takes the blueprint from Jack, turns it 90 degrees clockwise, and hands it back. "See? Oh, hold on... uh.." He takes it back, flips it upside-down, and hands it to Jack again. "There. See, the wheels are on the sides there, but the trailer is unstable if not attached to the MPV. What we do is attach a small wheel on a folding frame - under the smudged remnants of a dick here - that can be flipped open when the trailer is free-standing, and allow it to remain mobile. The motor goes here, towards the back - it's literally right under the floor of the trailer, powering the axle through a friction belt. The contacts here are exposed, so that anyone with a laser rifle, or a big damn suit of armor, or one of these-" Anton points at his forearm-mounted generator. "-can just use some wires to get power going to those wheels. See what I'm going for? Who knows when the MPV drives itself into a sinkhole out there. This, at least, might make for some kind of transportation, if all else goes awry."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13510 on: April 13, 2013, 05:59:16 pm »

Pester our AI with questions:
Quote from: Flint Westwood to ALVIN
Hey there? How's it going? You okay? Functioning normally? Any problems with the base?

Anyway, I was wondering, do you know how long this base has been here (subjective time or Earth time, either one will do) and when it was built?

Also, do you have any info on how and from whom it was built?

Can you tell me if there are any nearby stellar objects and are we in any danger from meteorite collisions?

Do you have any means of long range communication?

Can you estimate how long our food supplies will last at the current rate of consumption and if that will be long enough for the Sword to return?

Do you like it here? I think it's kind of fun, once you learn to avoid the dangerous parts.

((For some reason, I just got a paranoid thought that there is a secret message on the team leader's computer telling him to start pushing us inside anomalies, while watching those that survive for any signs of disease or madness. The message ends by informing him of a megaton charge hidden in the life support system that will be detonated in case of emergency or if he disobeys his orders.))

-lab test stuff-
((May I suggest you also check the anomalous shard fragments for electrical charge? (You can build a detector with some tinfoil if you don't have one, although some high schools do have electrometers).

If we can prove that the thing can produce power more efficiently then the generators we have, it could be worth a lot. Or it could be used to improve our piezoelectric shard launcher by allowing it to cause radiation damage along with electrical. Or maybe this is the same stuff piezoelectric shard launchers use, probably discovered in the past on another AP. Too bad nobody has used that weapon, then we could compare them...))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:08:46 am by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13511 on: April 13, 2013, 08:11:03 pm »

((May I suggest you also check the anomalous shard fragments for electrical charge? (You can build a detector with some tinfoil if you don't have one, although some high schools do have electrometers).

If we can prove that the thing can produce power more efficiently then the generators we have, it could be worth a lot. Or it could be used to improve our piezoelectric shard launcher by allowing it to cause radiation damage along with electrical. Or maybe this is the same stuff piezoelectric shard launchers use, probably discovered in the past on another AP. Too bad nobody has used that weapon, then we could compare them...))

((Duly noted and edited for. Like I said, PW saying I have what amounts to a high school lab is far too vague for me, some (probably private) high school labs might have mass spectrometers (which would be extraordinarily handy...), electron microscopes, and all manner of advanced equipment, but I don't want to assume too much.))
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:13:18 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13512 on: April 13, 2013, 09:04:37 pm »

"Hey Open the door or Ill have to break in"
Attempt to enter if unable or prevented for no real reason have suit on and laser through the door
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13513 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »

((The days count is really iffy right now. From my side, it has just been three days, but from what I gather, it has been more for some teams. It doesn't particularly bother me, but I just considered it worth pointing out.

Also, for everyone (including me) concerned about the mystery. Remember the datapads I mindlessly erased? Who knows if they had anything, but I think there are still several lying around the barracks. Anton might want to check that.))

Once he came to the base, and took off his base, Vich stretched and flexed his muscles. He was tired from walking all day, from mapping these creepy anomalies, from endless arguing with the crazy and sometimes incomprehensible actor. It was the good kind of tired, the kind he hasn't experienced in many years now. First eyesight, and now this.

The so called "Crazy Suicide Squad" was better at therapy than a much larger squad of civilian doctors. One thing The Doctor had right. Weak of stomach morons. If he knew that this is what he was going to get, he'd have come here much earlier. Maybe he would have even abandoned his revenge. Maybe... but no need to think about that now. Philosophy does not rhyme well with a tired mind. He would've gone to sleep, but he had some things to do first. Truly, it is the busy man who creates the busyness in his life, not the other way around.

Message to Miamoto:
Quote from: To Expedition leader, Miyamoto
Private Vich here, we've talked before.

I was wondering how long we are planning to stay in the base before the next expedition. In other words, when are we moving out?

If I may, I would also like to suggest a possibility that we, the team Blue, should stay away from the "temporal" anomaly. This is all just speculation and may have been a one off event, but all of us had strange dreams after yesterday's exploration. One again, it may have been a one off event, but I considered it fit to inform you nevertheless.

I would also like to know our policy about taking walks outside. Say if I want to run several miles around the base on days when we're not exploring to keep me fit, or if I want to see the sights at the molten iron sea where the living creatures were found. What is our policy on that?

Message to Anton
Quote from: To Anton
You are our resident mechanic, are you not? Pardon me if I am wrong.

What is your opinion on using bicycles to move around? Cheap, versatile, effective. Maybe not for us though, these things do require materials I don't know if we have. You think they could be useful?
On the topic, could I put a request for ice skates and perhaps sledges? There are flat lands north of here, with an almost frictionless surface. Ice skates could speed up travel time significantly. Not to speak of the fun.

Message to Bishop
Quote from: To Team Leader
Once again, good job out there steering us. Was fun.

On a serious note, what do you think about taking a little break from expeditions. I'm referring to the fact that it would be very helpful to have some better and more versatile equipment in our arsenal, and you're one of our mechanics. We might benefit from you taking a little time to make something. What do you think?

That done, Vich headed to his bunk. Of course! He must have been getting really absent-minded with age. To leave all his crap unrefrigerated and just sitting there on his bunk. Probably not enough time to get bad, but embarrassing nevertheless.

Well, seems one more thing I will have to do before I go to bed.

Label my stuff with my name, and put the appropriate items in the freezer. If I encounter Flint inside, do the stuff below. If I encounted him anywhere else, still give the speech below, but with some modifications like crossing all the freezer related stuff out. Then go to sleep.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Realm of a quantum role-playing: "Hey what are you doing here, are you alright? No I wasn't looking for you, I was putting my stuff in the freezer. And I didn't see anyone outside or searching for you, so I think you can come out. Unless you want hypothermia, that is.

Look, are you still mad at me about earlier today? If you want us to play hedgehogs, I am fine with that, just say the word. But I am personally ready to put that stuff behind. And if we happen to clash again for the same reason, then fine, but I see no reason for that disagreement to extend to the rest of our existence. What do you think? (once hearing the response:) Anyway, I am really tired, gotta go to sleep. Good day."

((Another very long post, yay!))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13514 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:10 pm »

Help Mesk with whatever it is he's doing.

((Sorry, bit rushed for time))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 1256