Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944386 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13440 on: April 09, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »

Check the rest of the base for any cleanup or repairs that need doing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13441 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »

Lars looks around, then nods.  "Gentlemen, I believe we have completed our task.  We shall return, but a bit out of the heat.  We shall skirt the next zone to see what wonders the gods have placed there for us."

Go back, a bit wider around to get away from the heat and see what's next. (IE come back one smallhex out)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13442 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:39 am »

Wait, How come I didn't get to finish the rest of the action? The whole point was NOT to stop if Flint wanders off. I thought I made that clear. I mean, the whole point of not trying to stop Flint, was that I could continue my own action instead of bickering with him. Redact my team's inaction?

Instances of being severely misunderstood by GM: 1. Follow Bishop I suppose.

Vich was actually completely fine with being flipped off by Flint. Yeah, the guy wanted to play hero before, and wanted to map this tunnel. The problem with that was that it was dangerous and unknown. Potentially at the time, through not as it turns out now, he saved the guy's life. And now that he prevented him from doing that, he was simply being petty about it. Except that now it wasn't dangerous, and the way to base was clear. He probably could do some work before to make Flint feel better about himself, or instill some team character in him, but meh. Better to let him sleep it off. He'll probably shrug it off next morning or in several days, and they still had a year to go. Although if he didn't... Well, then some brains would be required. Nothing wrong with simple challenges.

"He'll be fine when he sleeps it off. And if he isn't, I'll think of something. But do you think we should consider ourselves rested because of my action last turn, or not? Because if not, we should probably make camp sometime soon."

((The Intuit roll was actually to determine if Flint was reacting that way because of me and Bishop admitting to killing many people. You know, the useless RP Spoiler. I will just assume I failed the roll.))
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:43:34 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13443 on: April 10, 2013, 04:12:43 am »

"Time for the rock flinger to shine... Everyone follow my path"
Use rock lobber to SAFELY navigate the gravity field after throwing a rock into one of the craters
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13444 on: April 10, 2013, 06:42:34 am »

"We'll go as far as we safely can, and then make camp. If we are finished and on our way back when we start getting real tired, then we won't stop until we get all the way back to base, or we'll stop if we are far away enough. We'll just have to see how it pans out."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13445 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:19 am »

((I'm assuming I returned to the base and rested. If not, ignore everything below and rest.))

Flint woke up feeling tired. Not physically but mentally. He tried not to think about what had happened and so he decided to distract himself with some menial tasks.

Wash the dishes in the kitchen sink. Check whether or not there are hallucinogens in the freezer.

Go to the lab and label the samples we have taken like this:

Quote from: Labels
The ground samples I took from sector 1 -> "Ground Samples (base and gravity seep crater rim, sector 1)"
The ground samples I took from sector 3 -> "Ground Samples (anomalous motion zone, sector 3)"
The small blue radioactive rice thingies -> "Anomalous radioactive electrically charged blue shard fragments (came from sector 6, recovered in sector 1)"
Iron sea samples -> "Iron Sea samples (volcanically active area, sector 5)"
Check to see if the generator in the garage is portable. Check to see how much heat and radiation the vehicles in the garage can withstand compared to our suits and the volcanically active zone. Check to see if the MPV has electronic steering.

Finally, gather all the equipment necessary to construct the trailer for two people for the MPV and get a dynamic bonus for it.

((Overly long action! Yay!))

As Flint walked through the CCR while he was making his way to the garage from the Kitchen, he noticed Anton and Simus staring at the monitors there. He paused and stood behind them for a while, staring at the screens with them.
"Found anything interesting?"
After he got his response he asked Anton "Huh. OK... Care to help me build a trailer for the MPV? I was thinking it would be a good way to move supplies or people from one place to the next without using fuel and without getting tired."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:21:43 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13446 on: April 10, 2013, 02:08:27 pm »

Anton looks up from his examination of the increasingly boring and useless footage. "Hm? Oh, sure. This stuff is mostly boring anyway, no hard evidence for anything. Let me just look up one more thing here.."

Give the CCTV footage one final quick look-through, see if anything catches my eye. Recall the situation at the base when our team arrived, and try to correlate with what I've seen of the previous team landing here, entering the base, and finally leaving it. Try to analyze and see if anything doesn't line up or feels wronger than it should.

Then get up and help Flint assemble materials and tools for the trailer. Sketch out some possible designs of the trailer in the datapad, so we have something more than a rough idea to work with.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:10:40 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13447 on: April 10, 2013, 02:12:36 pm »

Chuck some rocks to see if we could move safely through this zone. If not, start going along the edge of where we're sure it's safe.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:18:01 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13448 on: April 10, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »

((Did I mention I think I know the secret of this planetoid? It's a succession game! Each HMRC team gets a year at the base, and then another one gets sent in. And obviously everything freezes in between, which is why there are no video feeds or anything. But the last team all died out, so we had to reclaim it. What mega-project should we build? (If I did mention this already, I am deeply sorry.)

Wash the dishes in the kitchen sink. Check whether or not there are hallucinogens in the freezer.
You could always grab mine, he he he.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13449 on: April 10, 2013, 03:06:31 pm »

((I thought that too, but a succession fort is sort of a natural occurrence here. We're obviously succeeding a team that's been sent here before us.

What I want to determine is why the information given to us by Steve does not match what we see. Steve hardly had an ulterior motive to lie to us about the base's nature. If it was established before the previous team was sent in, it wouldn't've changed anything for us. There is something fishy going on here, and I have a few odd ideas that I want to discreetly probe for before I start making any overt moves or claims.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13450 on: April 10, 2013, 03:34:40 pm »

((The Most Holy Steve would never lie to us.  Clearly our senses are deceiving us.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13451 on: April 10, 2013, 04:32:50 pm »

Team Blue

((I'm assuming I returned to the base and rested. If not, ignore everything below and rest.))

Flint woke up feeling tired. Not physically but mentally. He tried not to think about what had happened and so he decided to distract himself with some menial tasks.

Go to the lab and label the samples we have taken like this:

Quote from: Labels
The ground samples I took from sector 1 -> "Ground Samples (base and gravity seep crater rim, sector 1)"
The ground samples I took from sector 3 -> "Ground Samples (anomalous motion zone, sector 3)"
The small blue radioactive rice thingies -> "Anomalous radioactive electrically charged blue shard fragments (came from sector 6, recovered in sector 1)"
Iron sea samples -> "Iron Sea samples (volcanically active area, sector 5)"
Check to see if the generator in the garage is portable. Check to see how much heat and radiation the vehicles in the garage can withstand compared to our suits and the volcanically active zone. Check to see if the MPV has electronic steering.

Finally, gather all the equipment necessary to construct the trailer for two people for the MPV and get a dynamic bonus for it.

((Overly long action! Yay!))

As Flint walked through the CCR while he was making his way to the garage from the Kitchen, he noticed Anton and Simus staring at the monitors there. He paused and stood behind them for a while, staring at the screens with them.
"Found anything interesting?"
After he got his response he asked Anton "Huh. OK... Care to help me build a trailer for the MPV? I was thinking it would be a good way to move supplies or people from one place to the next without using fuel and without getting tired."

You wash the dishes in the sink. There aren't many, since most of the dishes you used for the party were disposable. After that you check the freezer for any sort of tasty tasty drugs. You don't find any. Maybe Mesk and his Infirmary have some.

You head to the lab and relabel, or in most cases, just label the samples there.

The Generator in the Garage is portable in the same way a fridge is technically portable. You're not sure how much heat or radiation any of the vehicles can withstand. The shuttle should be able to take the heat externally, but you're not sure about anything else. They don't have any helpful labels telling you to store them at X temp and below. The MPV appears to have electronically assisted control but just turning the handlebars manually works too.

You gather some stuff to make a little trailer for the MPV and start laying it out.

Wait, How come I didn't get to finish the rest of the action? The whole point was NOT to stop if Flint wanders off. I thought I made that clear. I mean, the whole point of not trying to stop Flint, was that I could continue my own action instead of bickering with him. Redact my team's inaction?

Instances of being severely misunderstood by GM: 1. Follow Bishop I suppose.

Vich was actually completely fine with being flipped off by Flint. Yeah, the guy wanted to play hero before, and wanted to map this tunnel. The problem with that was that it was dangerous and unknown. Potentially at the time, through not as it turns out now, he saved the guy's life. And now that he prevented him from doing that, he was simply being petty about it. Except that now it wasn't dangerous, and the way to base was clear. He probably could do some work before to make Flint feel better about himself, or instill some team character in him, but meh. Better to let him sleep it off. He'll probably shrug it off next morning or in several days, and they still had a year to go. Although if he didn't... Well, then some brains would be required. Nothing wrong with simple challenges.

"He'll be fine when he sleeps it off. And if he isn't, I'll think of something. But do you think we should consider ourselves rested because of my action last turn, or not? Because if not, we should probably make camp sometime soon."

((The Intuit roll was actually to determine if Flint was reacting that way because of me and Bishop admitting to killing many people. You know, the useless RP Spoiler. I will just assume I failed the roll.))

The reason you didn't do the rest of your action is because the rest of your action involved dragging the whole team into zone 9 without their consent. Might have done it if you were team leader but since you're not, I wasn't gonna just make everyone follow you just because. Especially when it goes against Miyamoto's orders of exploring only these inner 6 hexes as well. Now if you want to do that on your own, and then other people decide to follow you, thats fine and dandy.

And I doubt your record of killing is what drove Flint away. It was your record of halting his progress. It's not like flint hasn't killed people.

"Well shit, now he's gone off on his own like an idiot." Bishop sighs with frustration and shakes his head. "Whatever, at least we have a corridor through this mess that we could use if it stays like this, so he'll just have to look after himself if he wants to come back. We're mapping the edges of the distortion on the other side, so let's keep moving."

Keep mapping around the other side of the distortions. Wonder what Red team is up to.

The mapping continues! You finish mapping the outer edge of this anomaly, moving extra fast to prevent complaints of inaction.

Team Green
Follow lars.
follow lars unless doing so risks dehydration, if that is the case head back to base and grab some food and water for myself and the others then start carrying the supplies back to them.
Lars looks around, then nods.  "Gentlemen, I believe we have completed our task.  We shall return, but a bit out of the heat.  We shall skirt the next zone to see what wonders the gods have placed there for us."

Go back, a bit wider around to get away from the heat and see what's next. (IE come back one smallhex out)
I assume you mean go north up one and try to see whats deeper in the zone?

Well, from what you can see, through the distorted heat haze and sulfur fog atmosphere, the volcanism gets more powerful deeper in, with what looks like a caldera up near the center.

Grab four days worth of food and water, plus some assorted sample containers and labels. Also grab some suit repair supplies.
You grab some sample containers and such, but remember that food, water and pretty much anything that isn't designed to survive high temps is just gonna burn up in the volcanic zone. Just like last time.

Team Red Rock Throwing Brigade
Test the area with rocks to check for gravity seeps.
"Time for the rock flinger to shine... Everyone follow my path"
Use rock lobber to SAFELY navigate the gravity field after throwing a rock into one of the craters
Chuck some rocks to see if we could move safely through this zone. If not, start going along the edge of where we're sure it's safe.

Red team sprays stones in all directions as they slowly walk through the zone. The seeps aren't hard to find; they're quite obvious cracks and craters in the stone and they can feel their pull even from a distance. The entire time they're exploring it's as though they're walking with a strong wind at one side, pushing them toward the chasm to their right. Over all though, it seems fairly stable and safe, as long as you don't wander head long into the thing.

Team Base
Check the rest of the base for any cleanup or repairs that need doing.

Well, theres still that cut wire in the morgue that needs fixing. And all the samples in the Vault could use with a bit of categorization and inspection.

Anton looks up from his examination of the increasingly boring and useless footage. "Hm? Oh, sure. This stuff is mostly boring anyway, no hard evidence for anything. Let me just look up one more thing here.."

Give the CCTV footage one final quick look-through, see if anything catches my eye. Recall the situation at the base when our team arrived, and try to correlate with what I've seen of the previous team landing here, entering the base, and finally leaving it. Try to analyze and see if anything doesn't line up or feels wronger than it should.

Then get up and help Flint assemble materials and tools for the trailer. Sketch out some possible designs of the trailer in the datapad, so we have something more than a rough idea to work with.

Nothing catches your eye or really sticks out as out of place or suspicious in the videos. There's not a whole lot to work with though, so who knows.

You head off to the garage and start helping flint with his designs. You tactfully point out that he may want to add wheels and not make the thing shaped like a giant penis. He reluctantly agrees.

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/wx78lGF.png

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13452 on: April 10, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »

Check the morgue for this alleged cut wire.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13453 on: April 10, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »

((Okay, that's fine then. It's a lot better to when you know why your action was ignored.))

"Well, now that's that done with, what now? We could skate that flat plane to get back to our base if anything. Probably not the best idea, but not the worst one either. Say, I heard from before that it's heat absorbing. Those suits are insulated against anything, so I wouldn't be too worried about that, but just in case, how about I check the safety of touching it with a suit? And then we could determine where we're going next."

If Bishop is fine with it, place a finger on the flat plane. If it's fine, then place a palm, then a foot (while keeping solid footing on the other side) and stand there for half a minute. If at any point my appendages feel like they're freezing, pull away. And follow anything Bishop says.

((For playing a cautious character, I'm being pretty risky. On the other hand, Vich has not yet encountered anything that shook him in such a way as to not do this experience. Would be embarrasing to end up without a finger, would be very annoying to lose an arm, but hey, science. You know what would be great here? Mice.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13454 on: April 10, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

Follow lars unless it is not a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 895 896 [897] 898 899 ... 1256