Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154886 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »

what kind of candy? the metal kind or the cavity kind?

on another note,GUMMYWOMS
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #481 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »

The aftermath of the expedition...

Corai's injuries, severe though they seemed at first, were dealt with by Doctor Cain in record time.  Months of treating Rakush had left the doctor with great experience in cleaning and closing wounds.  Corai never showed any signs of infection, being cleaned with Jacen's finest giant thrips soap within moments of reaching the hospital.  One broken bone did present a novel challenge to the doctor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The delicate job was performed expertly, with no injury to the nervous tissue.  Corai walked out of the hospital with no loss of feeling or motor control.  His first act was, of course, to grab a good stiff drink.

His second act was to grab an axe and run around warning against the dangers of the depths to anyone who would listen.  Unfortunately for Corai, most of the longer-term residents had developed strong mental blocks against his voice.  His warnings went mostly unheeded.

Which is not to say that there were no precautions taken at all.

In the weeks following the expedition, Cilob met with an anonymous mason, with an unusual request.  Make me a door, he asked.  Make it with whatever decorations, spikes of this and bands of that, that you like.  On this door, put images of the most terrifying and unpleasant things, images that will keep any dwarf from wanting to look inside it.  But most of all, and this is the important thing, build me a door that will keep back the monsters of the deeps.

The mason complied, of course.  Through fey means he couldn't describe and could never reproduce, he made a door that would be impervious to even the most horrible demon or forgotten beast.  And on the door, to keep the curious as bay, he made the image of some horrid monsters he had heard described in a story one.  And then, between the harrier brutes, for those who were not scared away by demons, he made the image of an elf.

Erush Fatheggut, Genius Clothsdwarf, was increasingly disappointed in this 'asbestos' cloth.  At first he had been fascinated.  A thread derived from stone, like the fabled Adamantine, but made from a common stone rather than the pillars of hell.  To be the first dwarf to make a masterpiece from this material was just the kind of thing he couldn't resist.

When his beloved Geb told him about it, he had rushed down to Alpha Labs, to the asbestos loom, where crushed stone was being made into thread.  He had endured the irritating fibers drifting through the air as he watched the loom at work.

As soon as enough thread was ready, he had taken a spool of the asbestos up to his personal loom to weave it into cloth.

But gradually, as he wove enough cloth to start trying to weave it, his enthusiasm began to wane.  The resulting weave of asbestos fibers was heavy, scratchy, and brittle.  It lacked the strength of pig tails, the smoothness of silk, or the warmth of wool.  It was too stiff to be made into gloves or pants, too heavy for a decent shirt.  The only strength it had was being nearly impervious to heat or flame - though even there it was not quite as durable as adamantine was said to be.  Perhaps if someone needed fireproof mittens it would do, but otherwise he could see little use for the material.

Eventually he tired of trying to make anything useful of it.  Setting aside the asbestos cloth and thread, he turned back to more productive work.

Athra's quarters gleamed, at least as well as anything could gleam in the darkness this far beneath the surface.  The diorite walls and floors had been polished smooth, with streaks of cassiterite and white marble running across the bedroom, and clusters of smoky quartz and red zircon glittering in the walls of the dining room and foyer.

It was still a little plain.  The walls needed decoration.  He reached into his trousers pocket and pulled out the simple stone and metal chisels he'd made.

Now was the time he could really get creative.

... and just let his mind wander.

End of year address.  Cilob stands on a cage in the dining room, addressing the handful of dwarves who bothered to attend.

"My fellow dwarves!  I can't tell you how glad I am to see you all here.  We have had an eventful year, and it pleases me to see so many of you alive and uninjured."

"Tragically, we did have one death this year.  Ash the Marksdwarf, who gave his life to defend against an attack by goblins earlier this year.  Fortunately, one of our new immigrants has stepped up to take his place, as soon as he can get his gear together."

"I'm sure you all have heard about the wonderful expedition that our Champion Graknorke and four others took into the caverns this year.  Now, I know it's impossible to keep the news of the Adamantine from all of you.  I have been asked by many of you if any of it has been mined yet, or if not, how soon will it be?  Well, I have to say that it's Geb's decision first of all.  And I can ssure you, neither her or I intend to do anything that would endanger the fortress and everyone who lives within it."

"Besides which, this isn't a mining fortress.  Oh, we might have mineral wealth here in abundance, but we mine it only to help with the primary task of this fortress.  Catching and taming exotic animals - especially those from the ocean."

Cilob gestures down at the cage he is standing on, a cage which is implausibly stuffed full of orca whale.

"I haven't yet figured out how to tame this thing, and I'm not even sure it's going to be possible.  Don't ask me how it's managing to breathe in this thing, either.  But even if it can't be tamed, there are methods I've developed to breed hostile aquatic creatures - assuming we can catch a female."

"And there are females out there - I saw a pod swimming past just the other day.  Many more creatures in the depths, too.  Quietust's trap-chamber is filled up and working again, we hope to have a second one finished in the upcoming year, and as our fisherdwarves can tell you the fishing pier is working quite well.  We've started work on a second pier down south.  So I hope everyone here likes seafood - though with the way the giant sparrows have been breeding, there's plenty else available if you don't."
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »

Woohoo! Im not dead!

Cain, you keep your manlihood for now. >.> <.< >.>.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:11 am »

What labor have i mostly been doing since i got back?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:25 pm »

muhaha!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:52 pm »

What labor have i mostly been doing since i got back?

A little mining, a little masonry, a few minor hauling jobs ... and a bit of labor for a top secret research project at Alpha Labs.

Just don't drink any.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »

Ah mercury, sweetest of the transition metals.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:01 am »

i've read this from the start, its great. can you get me a list of dorfs or childrens.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:18 pm »

Journal of Saint, entry 8

I've taken to wandering the hallways of Brightwater at night. It keeps the lapses I experience in sleep, the interminable dreams and periods of conscious blackness, relegated to the nether regions of my memory. Often, I grow bored of my night patrols, and then must find new ways to stave off sleep. Many forget to lock their rooms while asleep (or awake, for that matter), and I can slip in to peruse records and familiarize myself with potential hiding places, should the fortress fall. There is one room I have been unable to enter, however; the domain of Athra Syrupblue.

In my insomniac wanderings, tonight I stumbled across the door to his chambers. To my surprise, it was open a crack; dim light spilled from the gap between frame and stone. I recalled the earlier meeting, the one where Cilob had condemned us to our doom by all but announcing we would be mining the accursed metal soon; the EL and duchess had to be stopped, and soon, if Brightwater were to survive. I pushed open the door.

Inside, Athra was etching designs into the walls of his spacious complex, images that could only have been inspired by foreknowledge of what would happen if the vein was breached - desecrated altars, flaming architecture - and I was encouraged; perhaps he already had his own plans! Regardless, I spoke with him, outlining his part in the plan - since he already posessed experience in mining, causing a cave-in or three to slow the progress of the pro-adamantine crowd should be easy! Maybe even erect a few walls, to direct a deep-dweller or two to stand as sentinels over the adamantium, warding off dwarven ambitions. He gave no response, and I'm not sure whether he would play his part, but at least he has been made aware of the dangers.

addendum: As I was passing the entrance to the caverns, I heard rustling in the depths of the darkness. I will investigate further at a later date.

We're brewing what? I hope that brew never goes anywhere near my dorf...
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »

Journal of Fishybang, new entry 1

Well hi journal after i found out someone was reading my old journal i had to through it into the ocean, And i just got time to get another. Anyway a few nights ago i woke up to the strangest noise, Shufling in my room! I dident move incase it was a goblin or kobold, after a few minuits I herd my door creep open and then close. Thats when i grabed my shelf and swung but there was nobody there and nothing gone, it was the weirdest thing. Anyway now im going to ask around to see if anyone else has been hearing the same things, ill get to the bottem of this.

OCC: Hey sphalerite can i see my stats and friends?
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »

I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »

When looking around, Athra noticed that he was missing a few things. Some stones from him digging out his first room, some gems he had happened to find in his dig, and a copper ore he was going to use in a project. "Meh." He sighed, shaking it off as another strange event, and went back to drawing things into the wall. Things he saw in his dreams.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »

From the journal of Dex

-Wow, that was some LUCK! Not only did we not get devoured down there, but we found adamantine! Surely, i thought as we walked back up the stairs, all the adoration from my fellow dwarves will make Deduk forget about how angry she is that i left without consulting her. Well, as it turns out, there was NO adoration to come. I'm still just as nameless and faceless as i was before this expedition. The good news is that Deduk didn't even notice I was gone. The letter was right where i left it. Is that good news? My own wife doesn't give a rats ass about my whereabouts. Sometimes I think she only married me to fulfill her dreams of having a great swordsdwarf for a child. Eh, back to work. I don't know if im supposed to talk about what's going on down in alpha lab, but they ALWAYS make sure my gloves are in tip top shape when I'm working down there.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

-Diary entry #10-CoraiUnki-

Hi diary! Me and Cuddles, my pet cavy, went on a expedition to the caverns! I only went so I could convice them not to go, but then I ended up going with them. And also, caverns are worse then I thought. We saw some...thing when we first arrived, then we found the fabled bluemetal. I actually considered murder to avoid them from telling the rest of the fort, but I couldnt do it. But now Cilob and Geb knows about it, Geb has far to much respect for Cilob to turn down a request for mining it, and Cilob is insane. I also spent some time in the hospital, I got attacked. People have been giving me odd-faces recently, especially the ones that are open-minded about digging that demon metal. I need to find other people against mining bluemetal.

-Love, Corai.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:17 pm »

I might as well write something.

-journal of Kylin#1-

Since everyone seems to be writing these diaries journals, I might as well make my own as well. I've been watching doctor Cain work, it's certainly fascinating. I don't even understand how he fixed up that spine, but other than that I've been contemplating the adamantine that was recently discovered. I've heard of it before from books and legends. I hope one day I can see it for myself, The majestic blue spire, the precious metal shining with unknown light from beyond, the incredible stiffness. I wonder what it feels like, I suspect it would feel cold, as if that is required for it to exist. But these are just simple speculations. I suppose that will conclude this diary journal entry for today.

It's a journal, not a diary, I swear.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44