Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154890 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

A good friend is horribly hurt

:)

Be glad you found hell
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2012, 01:49:53 pm »

A letter found in dex's quarters the morning of the expedition

Dearest Deduk,
      I know you're going to be angry about this, but I've volunteered to join the expedition into the caverns with a few others. Everyone assures me that it's perfectly safe, but i've still been issued a sword and shield. I should be back in a week or two, assuming everything goes as planned. I will miss you and Rigoth terribly while i am away, but i feel i need to do this. Since we've arrived here, I've felt restless, like there was something not quite right with me. I'm not sure if this expedition will fix the feeling, but i've got to try something. If i don't make it back, let Rigoth know i died a hero, as that's probably a better story for a sword-dwarf to grow up with than what actually happened. I love you both very much.

-Dex
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »

I wonder if I'm going to be drafted into helping... (please do not, I repeat, do not represent my dwarf as a smug jerk.)

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 14, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:10:43 pm by CountAlex »
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »

A letter found at Geb's office the morning of the expedition.

I have gone with four other dwarves to the caverns, i'm hoping to convice them that this is not a good idea. If I dont come back, tell Fishybang I died to a cave blob or something.

Cuddles, Corai.

Cuddles, Cuddles the war cavy.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

Can you make it so that I'm a smelter/strand extractor? I want to see that my discovery of adamantine is put to good use.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »

I would like you not to mine any candy until I get un-crippled, I'd like to be at the front of the charge when you unleash the demons by accident. With Graknorke going "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

Any plans to update the fort to the newest version?  We need wheelbarrows to cart out as much adamantine as we possibly can!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »

New item, we cant put it down.

Again, I want to lead the fight if demons are freed. >.>

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:18 pm »

Chief Medical Officer's Log, Brightwater, Cain

Apparently some damned fools decided to breach the caverns and begin an "exploration expedition." There's a reason why it was sealed away in the first place by Cilob and the others. Now, Corai has been brought to me injured. After diagnosing him, I've placed him on the traction table. Fortunately we can heal his wounds, worst case scenario I will have to do a spinal transplant and that will need the Fortress Leadership's approval.

This along with rumors of adamantine have caused a general uproar. For now, I need to get everyone out of my medical facility that is not supposed to be here so I can work on my patient in peace.

Irritated.
Cain

-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2012, 04:12:04 am »

Can you assign a dining table in the hospital for mcwhale so I can enjoy some sparrow roast while watching the surgery? Also I'm the wrong spinal type for a transplant.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2012, 07:50:49 am »

just a quick question here, every time a fight breaks out it sound like all of Higginbottoms kills get stolen by another dwarf.....

Yeah, it's hard to get a kill with a morningstar, when all the other dwarves either have swords or Fritz with her insane hammer skill.  I'll try to get you some more alone time with a goblin or two.

so could you post his kill list and inventory please

Will do tonight when I have access to the game file again.

Could you show me Fritz's description, relationships and kills screen, please?

I'll try to get that put up tonight.

I find my sudden and utter demise extremely amusing.

Yeah, it was surprising.  The rest of the soldiers handled the goblins no problem, then I look over and Ash is dead from a single headshot.  Sometimes the goblin archer rolls a critical hit.

Can you make it so that I'm a smelter/strand extractor? I want to see that my discovery of adamantine is put to good use.

I offer no guarantees that the adamantine will be harvested anytime soon.

Any plans to update the fort to the newest version?  We need wheelbarrows to cart out as much adamantine as we possibly can!

Not immediately, there are enough gameplay changes and hilarious bugs in 34.08 that I'm keeping the fort on the current version for now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 15, 2012, 03:07:39 pm »

Can i keep my sword? and if we do decide to mine the heaven metal than can we build a massively-complex defense system containing a obsidian caster?

also i might have domas start to worship arm-ok
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »

so could you post his kill list and inventory please

Here you go:

You have some of the nicest armor in the entire fortress.  You also have a flail, which I believe is what you requested as a weapon.  I suspect that flails aren't good at killing, although they are useful for causing bleeding and pain, so you tend to cripple targets which someone else can then come along and kill.

Could you show me Fritz's description, relationships and kills screen, please?

Fritz is a murder machine.  Even though she seems to prefer killing goblins slowly, breaking each of their limbs in turn before killing them, she still manages to get a lot of kills.

OOC: did i gain any relationships at all with any of the other 4 who went down?

Strangely, no.

I guess soldiers don't socialize when on duty?  At least you're familiar with Doctor Cain.

Requesting Ash #2.
Skills: Marksman, preferably from a migrant wave.
Custom Job: Professional Red Shirt.

Good timing, the latest migrant wave had a Ranger just ready for you.

Cilob's Journal - aftermath of the expedition

I just now found out.  One of our new dwarves, against all caution and on nobody's orders, decided to mount an expedition to explore the caverns.  Good for them, I say!  Sometime you just need to take a bold risk to get something done.  It's been too long that the caverns have been lying there unexplored, I would have done it myself if I hadn't been so busy with my animals.

Oh, it does seem that Corai got a bit hurt, after tangling with some giant blob monster.  Cain's had a look at him, and says that the injuries aren't as bad as they look.

He's got some broken bones, but Cain says the nerves are all intact, so he should heal completely.  And lucky for him, there's no sign of infection, and the creature that attacked him didn't seem to have any kind of venom.  No permanent harm done, ha ha!  His treatment should be straightforward.

Cain's been having to chase out onlookers and well-wishers, even one dwarf who tried to set up a table and chair so he could sit and watch while eating!  I know they call it an operating theater, but that doesn't mean they're putting on a show for everyone.

Now, the real news of the expedition, other than a few minor issues with the cavern creatures, is the adamantine.  I wish we could have kept it a secret, but that Graknorke was proclaiming to everyone what he'd found.  I have mixed feelings about it.  There's a real wealth of it down there, enough to completely change everything for this fortress, but I fear that mining it would distract from the real goal of this fortress:  taming amazing giant creatures!

So I have some relief that Geb is not calling for mining it immediately.  She outranks me, of course - I may be the Dungeon Master, but she's a Duchess now.

There aren't many that can countermand her order.

We have sent the latest selection of tame animals off to the mountainhomes.  I overheard Ral speaking to the traders, saying something about a 'barrel of monkeys'.

I told her that was silly, you can't put monkeys in a barrel without killing them first.  She insists that every child in the mountainhomes will want one of these as a pet.  I told her to not be so sure - I have a new animal project that may make them all change their mind once I've tamed it.

I just need to get a male, and then see if we can breed them in captivity.  But still, I need to remember why we are really here.  The giant sparrows, the monkeys, and the giant hamsters are really just a by-catch of our main operation.  The Queen sent me here to catch monsters from the ocean.  And we have.

Quietust's trap-chamber worked, the whale was lured in and caught in the aquatic animal-traps.  The seal-gate seems to be working properly, and we have the pump working to drain the water from the chamber now.

Soon, we will find out if it is possible to tame the monsters of the deep.  And even if they cannot be tamed, there are many uses we can put them to.

Throughout all the excitement, Athra continues to quietly work on his private quarters...

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »

So far, this is the best online RPG i've ever played, and i REALLY don't believe that was your intention with this thread.
If, no, WHEN i start to treat this thread too much like one, lemme know and I'll back off.

I apologize in advance.

and on that note...

what labor have i been mostly doing with all those labors enabled?
Have Deduk or Rigoth done anything interesting?
Wouldja mind drafting Rigoth once she's old enough, giving her a scimitar, kinda light armor, and no shield? (the sword is a demanding mistress and can permit no outside affairs.)

Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44