Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154889 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #465 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:50 am »

Reading this from the first. Can I get a mechanic, named Gar?

Also, IIRC to catch ocean animals you need glass cages instead of metal/wooden ones, or your captive will die as it pulled out of water... Maybe you should leave 3/7 water level there?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #466 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:08 am »

Also, IIRC to catch ocean animals you need glass cages instead of metal/wooden ones, or your captive will die as it pulled out of water... Maybe you should leave 3/7 water level there?

Nope.  The material which a cage is made of does not matter at all for its ability to hold a creature out of water.  Trust me, I've tested this extensively.  The orca are showing no signs of air-drowning, even though the water level in the chambers is below 3/7 now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 16, 2012, 07:19:57 am »

if its not too late can Higginbottom be swapped to a mace or axe? preferably mace in the hopes he can get more kills

oh and im glad the trap chamber worked would be cool to have a shark tank in Higginbottom's room

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:27 am »

The game is easy to play when you know the rules. I've done a lot of research about the laws of nobility, and so by now I know quite well what it takes to advance your position in society.

Traditionally, to become a duchess you need to perform a great service to the crown, as well as being wealthy enough to equip and maintain a body of armed soldiers. Of course, it's the duty of the monarch to decide how great the "great service" has to be. To advance, you also have to know your modern history. Nowadays, a "great service" just means a big gift, so a huge offering of weaponry to the mountainhomes proves both the loyalty and the ability to maintain an army, all in one go.

So I advance, so Brightwater gains in status. We're a duchy now.

You may ask, what was the point of all this?

Again, law and tradition. In the old days, you needed direct oversight of the king to even think about touching adamantine. Now? A high enough ranked noble can approve its use. A duchess, for example...

I will suggest preparing a tiny stock of wafers, to be stored in case anybody has a moment of creative genius.

- - -

edit - Is that other forgotten beast blocking easy access to the ore? Fighting past it seems risky...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:16:55 am by Geb »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 16, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »

Are we updating this thing to minecarts?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #470 on: May 16, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »

Are we updating this thing to minecarts?

Not anytime soon.  I'd have to completely rebalance all my custom metal mods for the new mineral drop rates, and there are some bugs in the current release I'd like to see fixed before upgrading.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »

ah. ok.
hows the heaven-metal going?
Highly Opinionated Fool

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

About the metals-has my dwarf already made some metal crafts or still hauling-and-stuff worker?
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Journal of Saint, entry 7

Ran out of space on the last set of stone tablets, and I wasn't high enough on the priority list to receive new ones. This is outrageous! I am the sole chef in this salty mudhole capable of producing lard roasts so fine, even ELVES would purchase them! I am a cornerstone of what passes for an economy in this duchy! Yet somehow, they couldn't find it in their stony little hearts to provide me with rocks on which to carve runes. Were I not such a loyal and even-tempered fellow, certain bean-counters would find an interesting new flavor in their lard (note to self: when will they realize my secret ingredients for the production of lard roasts are just (here, the runes have been scratched away) and liberal application of (more scratching))

Some dwarf - Garock? Garnock? - led an expedition into the underworld recently. Fools scared away the only potentially useful dweller of the deep (I feel we will be seeing him again soon) and found a giant living snowball in its place. The thing managed to somehow crush that damned elf-loving Corai, who seems to somehow have enough presence of mind left after being nearly rolled over to death to want to keep the adamantine vein they found a secret (note: mix something to help him shut up while asleep - and awake, perhaps? Maybe some extracts of the fungal trees I saw down in the caverns). Can't say I disagree. Cilob is too reckless; that duchess is even worse, and I discovered she wants to excavate a store of wafers (note: remove shoes when "investigating" others' quarters - that was too close.). I've seen what the Adamantine Fever can do to a dwarf, and if we start mining the stuff the miners will not be able to stop. Maybe speak with that recluse down below about caving in the area around the vein, just to keep it intact.

No record of my stay here could be complete without mention of my masterwork, though! Many of the others looked puzzled about the designs I chose to etch into it, some even remarking on my fertile imagination, but with the combind travel experience of two lives on two worlds I know better. My attempt at Troglodyte Runemaster work seemed spectacularly successful, but only a certain piece performed by a master musician should be able to release the spirit I trapped in the pentacle.

I fear my grasp on this reality is slipping, though. Some nights, I have dreams far realer than should be possible, that seem interminable. Whatever the cause, I hope I can at least base my consciousness in this realm - Brightwater has become far too interesting of a fortress to leave...
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2012, 12:10:05 am »

*refresh*

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

Niceness
Highly Opinionated Fool

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2012, 08:05:58 am »

You should make it a goal to make sacrifice siegers to the sea life. I tried to have war whales once, but it didn't work out so well.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »

do swordfish make good sword users? :P
Highly Opinionated Fool

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 19, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »

Hows the candy? Got any taffy made yet? Or gummy-worms?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44