Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154842 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2012, 08:26:12 pm »

When I saw Phones got hurt, I expected to see her heart. Hows the fortress over-all doing?

Doing well overall, although the progress setting up the systems for trapping and taming sea creatures is going slower than I'd like.  Losing this year's caravan hurt too, a single stray crossbow bolt and the whole caravan turns around.  And I still am not sure who to pick for Baron. Never mind, I know exactly who the Baron has to be.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:28:28 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

Unless you want a half-eery disturbing freak half WAY, WAY TO HAPPY elf dwarf a baron, dont choose me.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »

I'll take the expedition leader/trainer.  I loves me some training, now, where are those gremlins?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rakust Amithtulon (not to be confused with Rakust Gesisfikod, who was still undergoing repeated surgeries in the hospital), the barely-adult mayor of Brightwater, sat on the edge of the conglomerate table in the center of her offical Mayor's office.  She never felt at ease sitting behind the desk.  Sitting on the edge of the table, she could look the liaison in the eye, and didn't have to reach as far to hand over her notes.

"Okay, so I've got this list of supplies for the caravan, if they actually come back next year."  She looked down at the neatly written form.  "Bunch of really weird requests for something called Alpha Laboratories.  Cilob said - yes, I know he's not in charge, but I asked him anyway - he said to pass these on to you, they were important.  I've never even heard of half these stones, and the ones I have heard of I know aren't any use."

"Before we speak about the trade agreements, we have something more important to work out."  The oupost Liaison, Iden Ushulmomuz, had never been to this fortress before.  She handled herself confidently, not impressed with the nervous young dwarf before her.  "It is time for your fortress to have a Baron."

"Yeah.  So, did the mountainhomes pick a replacement yet?"

"It is not a mere matter of picking.  We cannot simply choose on a whim.  There are strict rules dictating how the title is passed down.  We need to examine the genealogy, trace the lines of descent.  You are aware, of course, that King Kivish MasteredCeilings and our General Reg Paintedpost had two daughters.  Fath Meetstakes, and Udil Citytrusses.  Udil had been picked to become your Baroness - her older sister being slated to become the Queen after our current queen, who has no children, passes."

Rakust nodded.  This was the first she had ever heard of any plans to replace the Queen.

"Now after the suspicious death of Udil at the hands of that human and his goblin slaves, the post would pass to her descendants.  Udil had one daughter - Thob Roofsears - and one son - Dastot Flaggate.  Thob, and her family, are living in Hardyrocks, where they have political responsibilities that preclude their moving here.  That leaves Dastot Flaggate.  Dastot was killed in the war of 39 against the elves, but before he died, he married one Alath Ringpaint, who unless I am mistaken is the Sheriff of your settlement here."

"So, that makes Alath the new Baroness?  Good choice, everyone likes her."

"No!  That is not how the line of descent goes.  The spouse of a Baron does not inherit the position.  It passes to the child.  Our records show that Dastot and Alath had one child, who was not yet of age when she moved here.  Does that child still live, and has she come of age?"

"Um, yeah.  Got a boyfriend too."

"Good.  Hopefully the two of them can create heirs to the position should she ever pass.  For now, she shall be the Baroness.  Prepare quarters fit for nobility.  I will take her name back to the Mountainhomes to make it official."

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:12 pm »

I'll take the expedition leader/trainer.  I loves me some training, now, where are those gremlins?

Cilob is already claimed as my narrator character.

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2012, 04:47:56 am »

If you have an unassigned male swordsdwarf, I would like to claim him and name him Va'al.
I have no other swordsdwarves at the moment.  Would you like a civilian dwarf to pick up training with swords from scratch?  If so, preferred gender and civilian job, if any?
That would be great. Any non-essential job is fine, and I'd prefer a male dwarf.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:53 am »

Everybody's giving me funny looks as I pass them by. There's some kind of rumour going around about me, and nobody will tell me what's going on.

Nobody will tell me, but I can guess.

I stepped on a lot of toes when I complained about the soldiers. That got them sent out into a goblin shooting gallery, and now I think I'm not miss popular down in the barracks anymore. Maybe one of them has been spreading unpleasant stories...

Well, there's nothing I can do. It's better not to think about it. If it was anything important, I'm sure Erush would tell me about it.

The best thing I can do is to just ignore it all, and work. I'm useful to the militia, and they know it. They know where their ammo comes from. A few good stacks of bolts will make me feel better.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:57 am »

OH MY CRUNDLE.

What a twist! Delicious I say! This is delicious!
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

hmm, in that case,  I'll take the next trainer to come along.  I will stick to my roots.  Name him Weiss Ironcage

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »

Diary of CoraiUnki, entry five.

I havent been able to sleep recently, I lay down and rest but I just cant get drowsy. These damn caverns are what are making all this I tell you. Ever since we breached them things have been happening, these "strange moods" have to be connected somehow. Maybe im just paranoid.... None of that, I gotta stop bugging you about these things diary! Its gonna make it hard for YOU to sleep sometime soon!

Well, anyway. The traders decided to visit us again this year, but goblins tried to play again! They killed a donkey or mule or something and the traders left right away. Something about a code. Whats with that? And in other news, everyone has been looking at Geb weird, maybe I should make her a table! That would cheer her up, its not easy being royalty! So half the fort must not know the easy-life peasants have! Hahahah! Well, bye diary!

On the back of the page is a drawing of tables and Geb. This relates to the rising of Geb to Baroness in Brightwater.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »

If you have an unassigned male swordsdwarf, I would like to claim him and name him Va'al.
I have no other swordsdwarves at the moment.  Would you like a civilian dwarf to pick up training with swords from scratch?  If so, preferred gender and civilian job, if any?
That would be great. Any non-essential job is fine, and I'd prefer a male dwarf.

Here you go.  You have been issued a sword and made part of the militia, in Phones's swordsdwarf squad.

hmm, in that case,  I'll take the next trainer to come along.  I will stick to my roots.  Name him Weiss Ironcage

We have no current unclaimed trainers, and aren't likely to have any soon since immigration is closed, but I can offer you a planter who's just taken up the job of animal trainer and will be training alongside Ceilan.

I was not initially planning to make Geb the Baroness.  I had some other ideas, but really didn't have a firm plan for what to do.  When in doubt I try to base the narrative on how Dwarf Fortress works.  In DF, at least in theory, noble positions are passed by inheritance.  It doesn't seem to work that way reliably, but that's clearly the intent.  So I traced the family tree of the dwarf who was supposed to be the Baroness originally, and was quite astonished to find that Geb was the only eligible candidate to inherit the position.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:00 pm »

Journal of Saint, entry 2

In my travels through this growing fortress, I have met a number of interesting characters, none of whom seem to notice anything amiss about me. Apparently, the poor fellow I crushed out of existence in his own mind so speedily was never one to go above and beyond even before I began exploring this place, and had no romantic entanglements I would need to sever.

The medical technology of this place is startling - I have stumbled upon tablets of orders while hauling that seem to indicate that the doctor is in the process of completely reconstructing a dwarf who would have been pitted back in Ananumid due to injuries. I may have to swing by the surgical ward where this is taking place to see this for myself; perhaps the good doctor is in need of a delivery of thread?

As a side note before resuming my duties, I have seen the ocean and am thoroughly unimpressed. What would the result of dropping a skinless dwarf into saltwater be, I wonder?

On the bottom of the page is a masterfully drawn image of a dwarf and fish. The dwarf is surrounded by the fish. The dwarf is screaming.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »

I was not initially planning to make Geb the Baroness.  I had some other ideas, but really didn't have a firm plan for what to do.  When in doubt I try to base the narrative on how Dwarf Fortress works.  In DF, at least in theory, noble positions are passed by inheritance.  It doesn't seem to work that way reliably, but that's clearly the intent.  So I traced the family tree of the dwarf who was supposed to be the Baroness originally, and was quite astonished to find that Geb was the only eligible candidate to inherit the position.

And this method has got you a baroness who will, according to the preferences string, demand fresh electrum animal traps every season. Oh, and crossbows of course. Lots and lots of crossbows. Ones made of alpaca wool.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:54:42 pm by Geb »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

And this method has got you a baroness who will, according to the preferences string, demand fresh electrum animal traps every season. Oh, and crossbows of course. Lots and lots of crossbows. Ones made of alpaca wool.

I DEMAND ALPACA WOOL CROSSBOWS!

HOW DARE ME! DENY MY DEMANDS! HAMMERER! HAMMER ME!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »

Fortress Beautification II:  Engraving the hospital.

As the fortress's hospital has become a focus of attention, both because of the ongoing effort to save a critically injured child, and because of passage just beyond it to the animal training area, fortress engraver Fishybang has undertaken the task of decorating the hospital.  The masterful engravings should help raise the mood of the patients and those who work here.

Of course, the first engraving to be laid down is one of the dedicated doctor Cain.

The fortress's military are well-represented, shown defeating a variety of enemies.

She has also engraved images of the leaders of the fortress, both the current Mayor and the fortress's founder Cilob.

Several of the fortress's more notable craftsdwarves are shown at work, producing fine goods.

As well as an image of a particularly favorite artifact made for Corai and Fishybang.

Finally, as is traditional, Fishybang has signed her work with an image of herself in the act of engraving.

Doctor Cain's only comment on the beautification project was to complain about everyone getting in the way of his continued treatment of Rakust.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44