Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154820 times)

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »

Weiss's Journal:

Right, I finally got the courage to become a trainer, hopefully this will work out.  I'll get to work soon, maybe help out with the new animals that come in, hopefully there'll be plenty of cage traps placed around, that'll get things started.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

Winter of 54:  End of year report.

Cilob stands on a table in the vast, fully-engraved dining room.  Lines of masterwork statues face each other down the middle of the room.  The walls are white marble, polished to a shine, with glints of gold veins here and there on the eastern side.  Children mill around, playing with bits of bone and shell rings and rods pilfered from Geb's reject bin.

To the gathered dwarves, Cilob speaks.

"My fellow dwarves!  It has been four years now since we settled here by the ocean, and I am proud of what you all have accomplished."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Our ongoing research projects are working well.  We are continuing to learn more every day about exotic animal training.  The Liaison has taken my latest notes back to the Mountainhomes, and when the caravan comes next year, we will be able to send them breeding pairs of several animals previously unknown to dwarves."

"I am pleased that several of you have come forward to assist me with this task, as the number of animals we have here has increased significantly.  Weiss Ironcage and Ceilan have both been of assistance to me in recent months.  I will have some further challenges for them coming up soon, with some of the more exotic results of our trapping program."

"Though I am not sure that all of the creatures we have caught will be useful, it will at least be a learning experience for our new trainers."

"I mean seriously, do any of you even have an idea what this thing is?"

"Now, I know the loss of the caravan hit us hard.  Geb has a storeroom full of crossbows waiting for export.  As skilled as our militia, they can only wield one at a time.  And our clothing industry has taken the worst of it for lack of raw material."

"But then, Geb and Erush may have more important things on their minds now."

"I had been waiting for the word to be official before making this announcement.  I know that some of you knew anyway, seems we just can't keep a secret properly here, but word has come back and I can now announce this to everyone.  Brightwater has been officially declared a Barony by the mountainhomes!"

"And they have picked our own bonecarver and bowyer Geb Mozimducem for Baroness!  Everyone give her a hand.  Seems that they dug up records indicating that she's a direct descendant of old king Kivish, through her farther who died back in the elven wars.  I would never have suspected, but the liaison had all the paperwork to prove it.  Phenix and her crew have been working round the clock to get the royal quarters ready for her in time for the announcement."

"Let's hope she'll be a wise ruler and not let power go to her head."

"Now, don't worry if our clothing and crossbow production slows down for a bit.  I just took a tour of the workshop level, and we have plenty of other industries ramping up to provide goods for export and domestic use."

"Including some new faces I haven't seen there before."

"I think we have a new cook at work.  It's a bit of a repetitive recipe, but surprisingly tasty."

"Finally, I'd like to say a word on behalf of our Doctor Cain.  He's unable to be here at the moment, being still busy with working on poor Rakust."

"As you know, he's been working nonstop on that girl ever since Erush here heroically rescued her."

"I fear the girl's going to be more suture and splint than dwarf by the time this is over."

"But she will recover! Doctor Cain tells me that her treatment has turned a corner for the better.  Her injuries have all been cleaned and stitched, and he has moved on to realigning her broken bones."

"So everyone, raise a toast to Cain and Rakust!  Next year, they'll both be down here for the end-of-year party with us."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:44:05 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »

"Huzzah for Cain! Lets all hope we dont jinx ourselves with this meeting and end up dieing horrible deaths at the hands of a blood-spitting winged beast from the caverns!"

Everyone stares at Corai, oblivious to the disturbing thing he just said.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:07 am »

Congratulations, Geb! The next blade I make shall be dedicated to our new Baroness!

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55:41 am »

"Let's go over this again. I want to make sure I haven't missed any part of it. I have a responsibility to maintain a display of wealth, right? That's for the dignity and pride of the fortress, and they've done a superb job with it. Why the armour stands though?"

"You have to give a display of military strength as well. When outsiders see these rooms, they must know that Brightwater is a power to be feared!"

"But there isn't any armour in the racks. All I have are a few old leather dresses."

"Well yes... but it's still traditional."

"Alright, nevermind that then. What about legal rights? I get total immunity from prosecution under dwarven law? I can't see how that's a good idea. What happens if I go on a rampage through the fortress and start killing people?"

"Lots of death and destruction, I suppose. Would you like me to fetch you an axe?"

"What? No! It was just an example. Do you mean I'm actually allowed to do that?"

"Of course!"

"Um... okay...   What about the mandates? I'm allowed to demand anything I want?"

"Yes, but if it is an unreasonable demand, we are allowed to laugh at you and ignore it. Then you are allowed to have us imprisoned or killed. That's a very important tradition."

"What? Why!? Oh nevermind, I don't want to know. Just go and trap some of the vermin in the food stockpiles or something."

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »

A morningstar seems most smith-like!

How is my dwarf doing?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

A morningstar seems most smith-like!

Morningstar it is.  Welcome to the military.

How is my dwarf doing?

Simon McWhale has been quite content lately.  When the supply of steel permits, he has been making steel armor for the military.  You can see a depiction of him at work in one of the engravings in the hospital.  Other than that, he has mostly been working as a hauler, and has not yet made any strong friendships among the population.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »

Im here!  :D
Go Geb!

TEST CRAB BLOOD FOR BLUENESS PLEASE! PREFERABLY WITH !!SCIENCE!!
Anyways, a journal entry!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »

Journal of Saint, entry 3

I've finally had it with the Armok-damned food in this place! While lacking the muscle memory of my old body, I retain my recipes and skill. Back home, we were forced to subsist entirely on lard for almost half a year while the cave wheat regrew, and I was forced to get creative. Good to know my creativity has remained, and the large number of tame (ha!) animals around here promises an ample supply of raw material. Now if I can get my hands on some herbs, I can hasten the process of ingredients...acquisition...but so far the elves haven't brought even prickleberry leaves!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

I was thinking. Maybe I think I want to be the multitalented craftsdwarf. I would like to dig out my own room big enough to fit a bed, a chest, a cabinet, a craftdwarfshop and engrave it all myself. If you don't mind.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »

Prepping for finals has kept me from being active lately. Only a couple weeks to go though! (For better or worse :D)

Glad to see things are going well in the fort. Keep up the good work everybody! :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »

Early spring of year 55

An old enemy is stalking the fortress.

Impossibly stealthy, the elf sneaks into the fortress gate, blending unnoticed amongst the vegetation.  It steps sure-footedly over the cage traps, easily avoiding the crude tripwires.  The giant gray langurs and giant bark scorpions tied on ropes along the entrance roadway pay it no mind, its elven empathy with animals calming their alarm.

The elf creeps along the side of the crafting hall.  Craft bins along the walls of the room, made from the corpses of brutally murdered trees, still held enough plant-life-spirit to conceal it.

The elf is stalking one dwarf in particular.

The elf waited patiently, with the patience that only an immortal can know, while the dwarf carved bits of shell and bone into strange mechanisms, rings and hooks of purpose unknown to the elf.  The dwarf then crossed the crowded crafting hall into another workshop, where she combined the mechanisms with yet more bone to make an intricate crossbow.

Finally finished, the dwarf examined the crossbow for a moment, then stacked it against the wall with a dozen similar ones.  She then headed off deeper into the fortress.  The elf followed her, waiting to catch her alone.

Geb stepped into her new Baronal quarters.  They were almost embarrassingly large and luxurious, well beyond the minimum requirements for her position.  With furniture by Phenix and CoraiUnki, masterful engravings by Fishybang, glass display cases holding artifacts and items of historical importance, it was far, far too much for even her and Erush together.

In the dining room, the fortress's latest artifact - a gaudy red stone chest, adorned with more stone in reg, green, and blue - had just been installed.  Geb was fairly certain she'd never use it.

She walked back through the suite's completely superfluous central hallway, back into the oversize throne room, where she was shocked to see something that should never be seen this deep inside a Dwarven fortress:  An elf!

No longer hiding, the elf drew itself upright, standing tall in elegant hand-woven plant cloth clothing.  It fixed Geb with a piercing stare, and spoke haughtily.

And with that, the elf turned and strode out of the room.  None but Geb saw it leave.  By the time the militia was gathered, it was long gone.

Shaken as she was by the meeting, Geb at least took consolation in the fact that it was a very nice office in which to be ambushed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »

Cilob's Journal - Spring of 55

Our new Baroness, Geb, has been in a state lately.  She's been claiming to have seen an elf in her quarters, even though none of the soldiers, nobody in the fortress at all, has seen it.  Still, I've heard they can be treacherous and sneaky, so we'll keep the soldiers on guard just in case.

She's taken the incentive to flex some of her Baronal powers.

Smart girl.  I knew she was the right choice for the job.

'Athra', one of the children who immigrated to this fortress with his parents, has finally come of age.  He's shown interest in multiple fields - mining, masonry, woodcrafting, and engraving, among others.  Ambitious kid.  He'll do well.

Our animal stockpiles are becoming overly crowded.  We have a great surplus of warthogs and wild boars.  I will be stockpiling them for shipment to the Mountainhomes this year.  For now, just stuffing them all in cages will get them out of the way and stop them from fighting each other.

In other news, we have learned that stockpiling giant sparrow hatchlings outside is a mistake.  Claims that animals stop flying once they are tame turned out to be completely unfounded, as the creatures happily took to the sky once brought outside.  It's wonderful to see such creatures take flight, but inconvenient if you want them to stay in once place.

We have also learned some important bits of dwarven science.  For one thing, it appears that crabs have white blood.

Finally, I have received the latest news on Rakust's health.  Cain spent over a month bandaging the poor girl, after having set all her broken bones.

Cain tells me the last step was to immobilize her limbs so that the bones would heal straight.

At this point, he's done all he can.  It's up to Rakust to have the strength to heal now.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:52 pm »

NICE, i made a masterwork steel mail shirt. Things are moving along. I hope I still get some time off to do smithing If I havent had a mood yet, since dwarves in the military dont have moods afaik?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »

All the military dwarves are doing civilian work part-time, and are still able to get moods.  I'm hoping to get an armorsmithing mood out of you that makes you legendary, but I can't control what moods happen to who.  Also, you've got your morningstar now, and have used it in combat (that'll be in the next update).
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44